1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
It's the same as '03 - '04...

Trailer classification Light
Gross trailer weight, up to (lbs./kg) 2500/1134
Maximum tongue weight1 (lbs./kg) 250/113

1Maximum trailer weight ratings are calculated assuming a base vehicle, except for any option(s) necessary to achieve the rating, plus driver. The weight of other optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the maximum trailer weight your vehicle can tow. See your Chevy dealer for additional details.

http://www.chevrolet.com/ssr/

·
Registered
413 Posts
the ssr towing is limited to the light duty hitch that is offered If you fabricate a 2 inch receiver and hide it behind the tag it will tow the same as a trailblazer

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The towing capacity of the SSR is not limited by the hitch! The capacity is limited by the cooling capacity. The electric fan and front grill styling limits the maximum cooling capacity of the SSR. The Trailblazer has a much larger grill and a mechanically driven fan. The new engine has also not been validated for heavier trailer loads. Think about the trailering capacity of a Corvette.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ummm, maybe read freezer's post...

pesos said:
so with a modified hitch, and assuming I took it easy, could the 2005 tow a 3200 lb load (boat) 45 miles one-way on a flat road?
freezer said:
The towing capacity of the SSR is not limited by the hitch! The capacity is limited by the cooling capacity. The electric fan and front grill styling limits the maximum cooling capacity of the SSR. The Trailblazer has a much larger grill and a mechanically driven fan. The new engine has also not been validated for heavier trailer loads. Think about the trailering capacity of a Corvette.
What you have is what you've got.

Diggs

P.S. I'd probably try it once myself, but officially, it's a no-no.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think with a proper hitch your boat should be no problem

J

·
0 Posts
I took a good look at my hitch and just to remove the standard hitch it looks like you have to remove the rear valance as the hitch goes inside the frame, no room to take off at all, if you find a hitch that will fit that is a class three let me know , I will be checking my friends trailblazer to see if the chassis measures the same as the SSR if so I will try a hitch from a trailblazer as I need to tow a car trailer that wieghs about 1600lbs and my car that is about 2200lbs goodluck!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Hi johnnyb26,

did you solve your towing problem? I do have the same interst. Need to tow my race car on a triler.

best regards,

Stefan

B

·
0 Posts
pull

I know my 03 would pull my 21' bass boat with no problem about 60 mi one way. some hills nothing like in the mountains. rolling hills of the plains. just use 3rd gear. you will get better fuel mileage. and alot less strain. I drove about 65mph. I did have a supercharger on it thou. that helped with the extra torque. I estimate boat, motor, and trailer to be 3200 #s. boat 1700, motor 500, trailer 600? maybe rest for fuel and gear. pulled boat at least 12 times or more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
06 with 411 gear drove 600 mi this weekend no problem but if I hook my 2500 lb camper drive 60 mi trans gets mad very hard shift and slip code torque ? trany hot ?

·
#1 SidePipe Club
3,299 Posts
Converter slip while towing

06 with 411 gear drove 600 mi this weekend no problem but if I hook my 2500 lb camper drive 60 mi trans gets mad very hard shift and slip code torque ? trany hot ?
Avoid torque converter slip while towing as this generates heat. I boiled a 4L60 in a 1998 Chevy p/u. It blew 1/2 the fluid out, enough to lose speed. After stopping was able to limp to an exit, let it cool down and added 3 quarts of ATF. There was no damage. This was because I was trying to keep the rpm's low and stretch mileage. WRONG!
I was advised to let the tranny decide when to down shift and avoid OD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts