Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I am going to have to get a new battery this winter. The last one is 4 years old so I guess I can't complain much. The question is how do I switch batteries without messing up all my presets, having alarm lights on in dash, radio, etc. I am sure it is posted somewhere on this site, but I can never find anything I am looking for here. I apparently don' t know how to do a simple search.

·
Premium Member
2005 aqua blurr
1,627 Posts
go down to the auto parts store and buy a memory saver just basically an adapter that goes in your cigarette lighter with a 9 volt battery attached

·
Daily Driver
8,948 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem although to be safe lower the window a little before doing it. The only thing I lost was the window presets.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem although to be safe lower the window a little before doing it. The only thing I lost was the window presets.
XOXOXOBruce, What would happen if you took your battery tender and plugged it into one of the 12 v plugs on the dash like when putting your battery maintainer on and then pulled and replaced your battery ?
John F.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,174 Posts
About a week ago I had my battery replaced in my Chevy Silverado by the Interstate Battery store. I usually do all my own work but they said no charge so I pulled it in and let them do it. They had a device they plugged into the cigarette lighter and it saved everything. Had it done in about 15 minutes. Asked if they would do my SSR in the future and they said yes, no charge. I told them it was under the vehicle and explained what it would take to change it and they said no problem, no charge. They will get my business from now on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
About a week ago I had my battery replaced in my Chevy Silverado by the Interstate Battery store. I usually do all my own work but they said no charge so I pulled it in and let them do it. They had a device they plugged into the cigarette lighter and it saved everything. Had it done in about 15 minutes. Asked if they would do my SSR in the future and they said yes, no charge. I told them it was under the vehicle and explained what it would take to change it and they said no problem, no charge. They will get my business from now on.
Do you think the devise plugged in was a battery tender ?
John F.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,174 Posts
Do you think the devise plugged in was a battery tender ?
John F.
It was a big roll-a-round contraption looked like an engine analizer. Battery tender might work though. I know when I plug in my battery tender it has to go in the proper plug so I use the one in the far right rear bed area designed for the tire inflator.

·
Georgia SSRers
1,009 Posts
Battery change

I replaced the battery without hooking up anything. I did reset the window indexing after. (easy to do)
No real problem with anything else.

except getting the FRIGGin heavy mother OUT and then IN ! :banghead

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,883 Posts
I guess the way I look at it is I'm going to have to get under there anyway after they're done to check their work so why let someone else do it? I know you save the effort with not having to hoist the battery up there which would be a plus for many people.

Dave

·
Daily Driver
8,948 Posts
I've seen dohickys with a 9V battery that plug in the lighter socket to maintain presets. I don't think the SSR needs it.
Also, while you're under there, check the connections of the split ground cable to both the frame and the body, to make sure they are secure and clean.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,490 Posts
XOXOXOBruce, What would happen if you took your battery tender and plugged it into one of the 12 v plugs on the dash like when putting your battery maintainer on and then pulled and replaced your battery ?
John F.
I don't know for sure but think it should work. I use the 9 volt thing, but a Battery Tender should put out more volts and amps than a 9 volt battery. As stated above it needs to be plugged into one that is hot all the time with the key off.

Nick

·
Tech Support/Research
1,702 Posts
Battery Replacement

The factory items needing to be reset after changing the battery are window indexing (as already noted) and resetting the clock. Seat memory and radio presets remain the same. If the battery remains disconnected for a period of time, the emissions system sensors will read "not ready" by a scanner until the factory OBD II drive cycle or its equivalent is completed. This is a concern when a vehicle is required to be emissions tested. See the following thread:

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/smog-check-problem-132729/

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Even with all the posts, this Thread still doesn't tell how to remove the battery. From underneath? Vehicle jacked up? From inside the bed? Or? A real rookie here.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Underneath, slowly... I just paid the 10 bucks for the installation at the dealership..and they did it on the rack..
But when I did the spare tire kit and had to move it ...all on Jack stands. At tall creeper height.. Kinda tilts and drops after you remove the lock bolts...it is a little tricky

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
My truck is lowered 1 1/2", but I am still able to take the battery out lying on the garage floor. It will not fall out - the carrier is on a slide mechanism with a stop.

More room to work if you have the rear on jackstands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts