Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, another year has gone by and things I wanted to accomplish during last winter's downtime and limited use have not been done. Before we know it Spring will be here- like in 5 weeks and then car shows, cruise-in's, Maggie Valley and whatever else comes up.

So, in June, my SSR will turn 14 years and I will have owned it for my 6 years as well. I had asked a while back about changing fluids and the general consensus was to do it, however, it hasn't been done. I NEED to do it....

I will have the transmission fluid serviced at the dealership- they have a current special of $179 for filter, gasket, fluid and labor (I will confirm price for the "R") and see what they get to do the brake fluid since I do not own the tools and am not comfortable working on them.

Now- Power steering fluid- is there any ways to drain and refill the system? My thoughts was a turkey baster and pull out what I could, add some fluid, drive it to mix, empty and repeat several times. I know I'm mixing clean and dirty fluid but I figure after several passes it should be better than what's in there.

And I also need to change the rear end/gear oil. Any recommendations for ease, type of gear oil etc?

I serviced the cooling system last Spring- 2 new hoses, thermostat/seal and flushed system and refilled.

Thank you

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,227 Posts
Make SURE the service advisor knows you WANT the transmission filter changed. I took mine to a Chevy dealer and was assured that the filter would be changed. It was not. They claimed afterwards they only do power flushes and that it was a miscommunication between me and the service advisor.

Dave

·
My First Permagrin !
572 Posts
Hi capteric
So the easy answer is owner preference, when to do or not to do ,pay or DIY .
I changed and flushed everything I always figured new oil or fluid is better than old .
If you pay for all service work, try and bundle the job and upgrade list this way you do the job once and done .
The turkey baster is what I did for the PS I did exactly that procedure ,
sucked out as much as possible and filled it.
I repeated the process twice over 1 years time .
I also used a syringe to do the brake fluid, twice over 1 years time .
I did upgraded covers and Amsoil fluid on the trans and rear. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Brake fluid

Jersey Red, the brake fluid is not circulated as is the power steering fluid. You need to bleed the fluid until clear fluid comes out of each brake cylinder port.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,303 Posts
AND since there is an ABS module, you need to use a power flusher to change out the fluid properly, preferably using an electronic tool which exercises the ABS module while the fluid is flushed. Probably best off using a reputable brake service center/dealer to power flush correctly, it will save you in the long run.

·
My First Permagrin !
572 Posts
Jersey Red, the brake fluid is not circulated as is the power steering fluid. You need to bleed the fluid until clear fluid comes out of each brake cylinder port.
Yes i did bleed it after sucking out the brake reservoir .
There was so much crap in there I didn't want to push it all down the line ,
that's why I did it twice and will do it again this spring . Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
:smile2:

Hats off from me to someone that feels the need to swap out the power steering fluid. While I've never bothered to look for that in the owners manual regarding (scheduled maintenance), maybe it's there and maybe it is not.

I used to install PS units in new Chevys back in the 60's. Worked at the dealership for a few years, I NEVER changed out nor worried about the PS fluid other than to check the level and "top it off" if need be. Never knew of anyone else in the mechanics crew to do it either nor for any customer to ever request that service.

By the way, I've never experienced any leakage and/or problems with any PS unit on any of many cars/trucks I've owned. But...........Hey if it makes ya feel good, go for it.:wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts