Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall reading a couple posts awhile ago that said it's a bear to change plugs on the 5.3. My mech said that after moving an overflow tank, it's a breeze.

Please advise me on how to change the plugs and what to watch for.

After her supercharger and header install, Ilsa ran long enough on a very rich mixture that I want to change the plugs before doing the final tune.

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
Should be very similar to the 6 l for access - very similar head design.

Removing the overflow tank, and possibly the supercharger tank should get you enough space to get in on the passenger's side. Plug 1 (driver's side) is a bear because of all the electrical looming in that area. Start with that one - the rest will seem like a breeze.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I removed #1 plug from underneath the vehicle. I recently installed headers and did not have any problems...……..I did move the overflow tank slightly and tie wired it up.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts

The yellow truck that Ron bought had a slight, miss on of course #1. After changing the coil and wire ( I just knew that it would not be the plug which are supposed to be good for 100K and the truck only has 8,000 miles) the only thing left was the injector or the plug. I pulled the plug last Saturday, my hand finally healed up today.
I talked to the previous owner and he said the plugs had never been pulled or changed. The only thing that had been done to the 5.3 was a Performance tune last year.
The plug had a 20 thousands gap instead of 60. Put in the new plug, engine runs great.

Gremlins!

Jack

·
Lost In The 50's
1,156 Posts
It's a challenge!!!!

Want to share my experience with changing plugs. It was doable with the right combination of extensions and swivels. I did everything from the top. Biggest problem I had was getting #2 plug wire off the old plug.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/new-spark-plugs-152513/

:banghead:banghead:):):seeya

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holey Moley on the spark plug gap! Joe's recommendation after the Magnuson 2300 and header install is to gap them at .028!

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Mitchel's Repair Spec.

Mitchel Repair Spec and GM Service Manual are for the '03, 04 5.3 L = 1.524 mm or 0.06 in. spark plug gap.

But the '05, '06 6.0L they say 1.02 mm or 0.04 in. spark plug gap

The new plug was already set at 0.06.

Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts