Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chapter 2 of "The SSR Experience" went out early this morning.

It's a much larger file attachment than before - 2.3 MB - as a result of the photographs included.

Any subscriber who did not receive it should contact me at [email protected] so I can figure out why!

Jim G

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Jim,

When I go view Chapter 2, I get the following message "Unable to load graphics conversion filter. Continue with documents conversion?" Then it asks for a yes or no. When I hit yes, nothing happens. If I hit no, I get an error message. This happened on Chapter 1, but it did eventually allow me to print it out, although with no pictures (if any were included). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Randy

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw your postings, and am now working on the diagnostics. It might be that Word needs the photo files attached also, or else somehow imported into the file in a manneer that does not require the actual photo files be sent as well. I m investigating.

The only photo in Chapert 1 was on the cover page of the book. But Chapter 2 has LOTS of photos to illustrate items.

Jim G

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
I received file without a problem - however I did run out of colored ink! (Doh!)

Blast

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
I had no problem also. Just finished reading, it could not put it down once I started. WAY TO GO JIM. Can't wait for the next chapter. :thumbs

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buffalo & SSR2004: What version of Microsoft Word are you using to open the file?

I'm asking because the photos are JPEG file format images (.jpg extension on the files), and I am wondering if your versions will not open those.

I am using that format because it is an indsutry standard, and allows me to use Microsoft Photo Editor to easily crop and edit the images to highlight a specific item in, or section of, the photo.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If so, please "log in" here so we can isolate the common vairable(s).

In the meantime, I am continuing to troubleshoot.

The photos add a lot to the text.

Jim G

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, I deliberately use Microsoft Word version 97, a very old version, so virtually ANYONE can open it, if their computer is newer than stone age. :)

I just tried converting the images to word's own internal format, thinking that might open on ANY machine, but that ballooned the file size to about 75 MB!! (Sigh . . .)

Jim G

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Jim,

When I click on the attachment, a window comes up with word pad document. I am not very knowledgable when it comes to computers.

Randy

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buffalo: I am guessing that the computer you are using does not even have Microsoft Word installed. It is probably trying to use "Notepad" to open and display the book, which is like trying to use a pocketknife to mow the lawn!

Try emailing the file to another, betetr equipped computer that has Microsoft Word on it (Virtually all business computers and most home computers have it installed) - ask a friend if they have it, and then ask them to open and print it.

Once you find a good computer, I can just change the email address for your subscription to match that computer. THat would be easier than asking you to open your email on his computer, if you are not strong on computer knowledge.

THis brings up a good point on printing as well. The photos are very high quality digital images, and if you have access to a color laser for the pages with photos on them, the results are worth it.

Finally, because this is an electronic versus physical book, you can zoom the photos up in size and see neat little details, because the native resolution is high. (The Ducati S4 in the trailering photo on page 39 is very interesting when you look closely. Check out the wheels)

Jim G

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
There are some alternatives. Pdf's are pretty universal now. If buying a copy of acrobat is out order, try looking into ghostscript as a no cost alternative.
:thumbs

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
beer100: A pdf might be a good idea, IF it is also compressible. I may have to do some checking into that "when I get some free time". My schedule for the next 2 weeks is intense! :)

Jim G

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Jim,

If you send me the word version - I can convert to a .pdf for you...

Takes seconds to do...

PM if you need my DAYTIME email address...

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
kwhopper89: Thanks for the offer. I am thinking abitu whether I want to go pdf or not. I wll do some research to see if it makes sense.

I figured out that it is easy enough to repaginate Word for individual chapter releases (.i.e. I can send out ONLY Chapter 2, with only its text and photo content, and therefore a small file, and still have page numbers correct). Therefore, may be no need to go pdf.

On the other hand, people who do not have Word might have Acrobat reader.

Subman: I think maybe I messed up your subscription somehow. I just looked for the email address you noted above in the list and cannot find it. Did you subscribe under a different email address? BY PayPa or by U.S. mail? Or, if you forgot to provide the email address in your PayPal payment, I might have grabbed the email address you used to send the PayPal payment. Send me an email with the correct data and date for your subscription, and I will correct it right away! You don't want the other guys on the board to be better SSR-informed than you! :)

Jim G

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Chapter two

Great work :) I enjoyed chapter 2 as much as chapter 1. This will be a book to keep and refer to as needed. Just wish I could get a pretty hard bound copy for my coffee table :lol Thanks again for the great info. :ssr

1 - 20 of 24 Posts