Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone in this vast, wise, helpful and intelligent forum point me towards a previous discussion for changing one of my under-dash 12 volt outlets from full-time on to keyed-on so I can connect my Garmin GPS without having to unplug it all the time when parked. I would prefer not having to get upside down under the dash, but I'm pretty sure that is what it will take. I'd like to change the one closest to the driver side. I'm thinking I'd just have to find a keyed hot wire under there and do some solder work.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Perhaps this will help
Let me know if you have questions
  • NOTE: This will effect both power oulets, if you want to do just one, i believe you will require some movement or positions under the dash i would not want to attempt.

·
Slingshot Rules!
68,771 Posts

Have you tried the outlet in the Ash Tray, Skid?

If my memory hasn't taken off completely . . . I believe it is controlled by the Ignition Switch.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts

If my memory hasn't taken off completely . . . I believe it is controlled by the Ignition Switch.

Ashtray outlet is also powered at all times. The fuse for this also allows a 12 volt power source for the OBD 2 diagnostic connector. Note many GMs are the same on this point.
Scanner won't power up? Check cigar litr fuse.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts

:cry:

Well, yah it did happen. your memory did indeed take off. Autoprof explains as well. From my own experience, the socket (lighter socket) contained in and/or near the "ashtray" is and ALWAYS HAS BEEN powered at all times.;)

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,162 Posts
My thought would be to use AutoProf's scheme and then take the Ashtray assembly out and tape the Ashtray power to feed the aux port you want to keep hot. You should be able to reach the back of it and do the rewire before reinstalling the Ashtray. Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the link to previous discussions. I have an '06 and want to keep the passenger side outlet live for charging. I drop an extension cord down through the car cover from the garage opener outlet on the ceiling and into the passenger side partially opened window to reach the charger sitting on the passenger seat and plugged into that outlet(see pix). I wanted the driver side outlet to be switched so I can run My Garmin GPS without unplugging it all the time when parked. I noticed one suggestion regarding running wires to the internal fusebox to a keyed fuse spot. Can anyone tell me which fuse position in the inside fuse box would work best. I'm thinking of fabricating an accessory plug connected to this interior fusebox that is dedicated to running the Garmin. If I can do this I won't have to cut the Garmin charging cable or mess with the regular live outlets.
DSC01013.JPG
DSC01012.JPG

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,162 Posts
you can use the scheme from Autoprof to find the switched fuses and you can run out of the fuse box under toward the driver side under the carpet against the rear bulkhead to the driver door. there is a wire way in the doorjamb under the threshold that will get you to the kick panel and from there you can get to the GPS depending on where it is mounted. I would not try to mount a lighter type power port in the fuse panel or side of the waterfall. I would suggest either a splice or some small connector set under the dash or behind the driver kick panel.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks BlueStreak! I have had the wire way and kick panel off before when exploring some bogus wiring done by a previous owner. I"ll try to find a switched fuse to take off from and run to the area under the dash. I have no intention of messing with the fuse panel or any part of the dashboard or waterfall. I'll try to find a place under the dash and near the GPS to mount a fabricated plate and port out of site.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again Dicktator. I think that's just what I needed to get started.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Thanks BlueStreak! I have had the wire way and kick panel off before when exploring some bogus wiring done by a previous owner. I"ll try to find a switched fuse to take off from and run to the area under the dash. I have no intention of messing with the fuse panel or any part of the dashboard or waterfall. I'll try to find a place under the dash and near the GPS to mount a fabricated plate and port out of site.

:unsure:
I'm confused as to your intent. You do (not) want to mess with the fuse panel........yet you want to find a place under the dash and "fabricate" a plate and port. It would seem to me that if you could do all that "fabrication", you have the talent to follow the procedure outlined in Autoprofs.....related post that explains how to swap the current "hot" drivers and passenger side ports to "switched" ports. It is not that hard to do and this would leave the ashtray cigarette lighter port still "hot" from which you could plug in your charger. Then you would have a "switched" port for your GPS unit and a "hot" port for you charger all without any crawling around under the dash and doing fabrication.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2004 SSR Red
28 Posts
Perhaps this will help
Let me know if you have questions
  • NOTE: This will effect both power oulets, if you want to do just one, i believe you will require some movement or positions under the dash i would not want to attempt.
I just changed both outlets as you described.
It is an awesome work around. I am powering a back up camera and was plugging and unplugging so the battery would not drain.
Thank you for posting.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:unsure:
I'm confused as to your intent. You do (not) want to mess with the fuse panel........yet you want to find a place under the dash and "fabricate" a plate and port. It would seem to me that if you could do all that "fabrication", you have the talent to follow the procedure outlined in Autoprofs.....related post that explains how to swap the current "hot" drivers and passenger side ports to "switched" ports. It is not that hard to do and this would leave the ashtray cigarette lighter port still "hot" from which you could plug in your charger. Then you would have a "switched" port for your GPS unit and a "hot" port for you charger all without any crawling around under the dash and doing fabrication.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
When I mentioned that I wasn't going to mess with the fuse panel or waterfall I was responding to BlueStreak's advice regarding wiring in another power port. No way I would cut into either one.

However.....for some reason I never wanted to use the drop down port in the ash tray and got it into my head that I needed to convert only one of the dash ports to switched. DOH! Thanks to your post, I have seen the light. I really have no reason to keep one of the dash ports live as long as the ashtray port is available for charging. Sooo I have ordered the fuse tap from Amazon. I had all the other pieces and soldering iron already, so I should be able to get the Autoprof jumper made by Wednesday. Thanks for the butt-kick!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many thanks to autoprof, BlueStreak, Doophus, DickTator, and moscooter for all the help and keeping me focused on the best solution. Made the jumper this morning, installed it and all is right with the world again. (Well OK I know, not quite)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts