Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking out the chassis I found that the front half and rear half are welded together and then reinforced with flat steel plates on the inboard and outboard sides of the chassis. Question ? Is this true on all SSRs?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Chassis Length.

3Rods, It's my understanding that Chevrolet built the SSR on a Chevy Trailblazer chassis. The Trailblazer Ext. (extended) had a wheelbase length of 129 inches. They wanted the SSR to be a bit shorter so they removed 13 inches from the 129 in. Trailblazer chassis creating the 116 in. SSR wheelbase. They cut out this 16 in. section and then welded back the chassis and that's probably what you are looking at. I think ALL SSR's will have this same welded chassis.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The longer Trailblazer XL frame is shortened in the middle and rewelded with reinforcements. The front of the frame is also shortened and a special truss beam is bolted on to replace what was removed. The truss beam serves as the front structure and bumper beam. There are also reinforcement plates welded to the top of the frame near the steering gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts