Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I applied Dicktator's "two-sponge" wind noise reduction mod to my ricochet silver SSR and then drove it around town on some errands.

Though I don't think the SSR was really that noisy in the first place, it made it even quieter. It was relatively easy to do and very inexpensive.

If you haven't done it yet.... you should.:silver:

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Yesterday, I applied Dicktator's "two-sponge" wind noise reduction mod to my ricochet silver SSR and then drove it around town on some errands.

Though I don't think the SSR was really that noisy in the first place, it made it even quieter. It was relatively easy to do and very inexpensive.

If you haven't done it yet.... you should.:silver:
I'm not familiar with it. Can you provide more info about it?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
In looking at the pics of the install, I was wondering, why not remove the flaps and replace with sound deadening, breathable sponge. Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing??

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
In looking at the pics of the install, I was wondering, why not remove the flaps and replace with sound deadening, breathable sponge. Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing??
:|

I recently did the (sponge deal) as per the suggested method. I think I can recognize some reduction is the noise levels as a result.

BUT, that does NOTHING (much) to reduce what noise does get into the top (well) due to the openings needed and/or required to operate the top (up/down). I was one that was surprised to find that vast "gap" above and beyond the waterfall piece.

The 52" specially cut foam dealie...........that has been discussed before (to me), is likely the best answer to further reducing the interior noise....(also some added sound deadening material in the top well.

I'm ready to take the file to the printers to get a template made...........but I'm on hold as (cant remember his name).........but the originator of this whole foam template idea said he was gonna modify the current design and give us an updated version.

I'm still waiting and hoping to see that soon.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2006 Automatic
864 Posts
That would be Carlbush.

I used his current pattern and you will really love the quiet!

Just remember to take it out prior to putting the top down!

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
That would be Carlbush.

I used his current pattern and you will really love the quiet!

Just remember to take it out prior to putting the top down!
:frown2:Yeah, I hear ya as to the (remember to) comment........While waiting to make one of these foam deals to pad that gap, I took a long towel and stuffed it into the crack.

Of course, I forgot all about it and pushed the button a few days later to drop the top. A few blocks away, I looked in the rear view mirror to see part of that towel flapping in the breeze cause part of it got caught in the top down sequence...........Thankfully, no harm no foul......but towel or getting this foam deal, I will create some (reminder) to myself as to removing it prior to hitting that switch.:|

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
868 Posts
A few of us in the Orlando area have a modified version sound suppersor. We made a few extras and I have sold them at Maggie Valley,Huntsville,Jax and Dennison. We plan on making a few to have available in Daytona. Ask Crudawg,Mr. Bill, SSRoe just to name a few that have purchased from us.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,044 Posts
A few of us in the Orlando area have a modified version sound suppersor. We made a few extras and I have sold them at Maggie Valley,Huntsville,Jax and Dennison. We plan on making a few to have available in Daytona. Ask Crudawg,Mr. Bill, SSRoe just to name a few that have purchased from us.
Inquiring minds want to know...

What is the modification?
Cost?
And do you ship?

(It is on my list of todo’s, I’ve researched some material and all. I’m also wondering if I can make one that says fixed below, just below the colored surfaces that pushes out of the way... but, then I’m told I overthink things).

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I followed that thread last summer. I downloaded the blueprints and used my vinyl cutter to make an exact template. Then I cut and assembled the sound suppressor.

My take away:

While the concept is valid, cutting and assembly requires skillful hands. It's not easy to get a good fit (mine never did). It almost more of an art form than a science as it requires lots of attention to detail and very careful trimming.

If you have a wind suppressor on your "R", installation and removal of the sound suppressor is a real b**ch. The space between the wind suppressor and the back window limits needed access for this process.

I ended up bagging it and just accepting the fact cabin noise is part of the SSR experience.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
868 Posts
Wizzr is absolutely correct. They are not easy to make. I have the wind suppressor and it is difficult to put into place. However, I would not take a road trip without it.
TXNSSR-The modification is a two layer process that makes it fit into the holes better. We do not ship but I am sure someone that is close to you will be in Daytona and could bring it back to you. The previous selling price was way too low according to the few that purchased them but it was based on just getting our materials cost back. So we may adjust our price up to pay for our time but still will be around $40 or less.

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Wizzr is absolutely correct. They are not easy to make. I have the wind suppressor and it is difficult to put into place. However, I would not take a road trip without it.
TXNSSR-The modification is a two layer process that makes it fit into the holes better. We do not ship but I am sure someone that is close to you will be in Daytona and could bring it back to you. The previous selling price was way too low according to the few that purchased them but it was based on just getting our materials cost back. So we may adjust our price up to pay for our time but still will be around $40 or less.
:smile2:
I'm planning to attend the Daytona event, be sure to have whomever is bringing some to add another for me as at $40 or less, I will buy one too.:|

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
:smile2:
I'm planning to attend the Daytona event, be sure to have whomever is bringing some to add another for me as at $40 or less, I will buy one too.:|
me too! Driving down from Saint Joseph, Mo and would like it quiet on the way home

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
soren703, if the sound suppressor is well made, fits and seals properly, $40 is a give away price for all that's involved in making these. Anybody who's interested should jump all over this deal.

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
My last two SSR's were a late 2005 and a 2006 and neither one had appreciable wind or road noise in the Cab. My two tone 2006 truck however, has a lot of wind/road noise coming from the waterfall/rear window area. Would this truck be a candidate for the wind suppressor you are speaking of? Can it be left in place with the top down? Thanks!

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,202 Posts
I read this whole section of postings and feel really blessed. We have age related slight hearing loss and have ridden Harley's for almost 60 years so our SSR feels and sounds very quiet to us. The other thing is most days we take her out are top down days so we can still enjoy being in the wind and with the custom exhaust we have it is music to our ears. We are grinning from ear to ear. Like I say we are blessed.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Greg, there are two different items here. The wind suppressor is the screen or Plexiglas devise that bolts behind the seats to deflect wind when the top is down. The sound suppressor is a foam piece that fits over the opening behind a the seats to be used to reduce sound levels when the top is up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts