Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at lunch, had my lighted FlameBall gear shift knob wired to shifter bezel harness. Light in knob works great when headlights are on and drove around for a while, no problems. Then after work at stop light the check engine light came on and the car seemed to need more pedal to get going, like I had the emergency brake on. Are these related? Anyone have this check engine light problem?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Last week I had the air SENSE line fall out of the mass air flow sensor on my C6 I would look there first since you just had work done bet it is a simple fix

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made an appointment, let it sit for a day, and now the light went out at lunch today? Everything seems ok. :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
My check engine light came on this weekend (did you know that there is a check engine light and a reduced engine power light?).

Just got a call from dealer....it's the catalytic converter. They are resetting it to see if it goes away....but my guess is it will be back. So I wonder if it tells you which one or if I have to replace both :lol

So has anyone else had either the water pump go or problems with the catalytic converter....or is it just the guy who drives too much that hits the problems first :)
(56k+ miles now).....oh I still have the 100k miles bumper to bumper warranty...it looks like that it's going to pay for itself soon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The light on the dash that comes on is on the left side and is a picture of the engine. I think there is one on the right with a pic of an engine with an arrow. Anyway, my ck engine light acts up every 3 to 4 days. Haven't taken it to the dealer as yet.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
So the dealer says that the back pressure on the cats is a couple of pounds and it should be less than 1 pound. They are ordering me new cats (2) at $1500. They say it is covered under the original warranty (80,000 miles for the cats), so I don't have to pay a cent.

What causes cats to clog up? cheap gas?

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
My check engine light is on, and the dealer says it is the "catalytic converter(s)".
They are after market, and i can only guess they went on when I got the new headers. Is this right?

The guys who put on my Flowmaster think they may be too close to the 02 sensor, and any replacement would do the same thing, unless I can get the schematics on how close the converters should be to the O2 sensor.

He had also mentioned that somewhere he had heard about people bypassing the sensors, but I have no idea about this one. Anyone care to field this question?

What would you suggest? I don't wish to drive around with the light on indefinitely, and have already pulled the fuse once to make the light go out, but it came back on after a few days.

·
Clogger fan
36,695 Posts
My check engine light is on, and the dealer says it is the "catalytic converter(s)".
They are after market, and i can only guess they went on when I got the new headers. Is this right?

The guys who put on my Flowmaster think they may be too close to the 02 sensor, and any replacement would do the same thing, unless I can get the schematics on how close the converters should be to the O2 sensor.

He had also mentioned that somewhere he had heard about people bypassing the sensors, but I have no idea about this one. Anyone care to field this question?

What would you suggest? I don't wish to drive around with the light on indefinitely, and have already pulled the fuse once to make the light go out, but it came back on after a few days.
MIL eliminators or progam the sensors out? I'm I way off course here?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't bother taking it to the dealer: the installation of your Flameball shift knob (an unapproved electrical accessory) has voided your warranty.

JUST KIDDING! Remember, intermittent problems of this nature are often the ignition switch...poor electrical contacts causing irregular voltage to the computer(s).

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Don't bother taking it to the dealer: the installation of your Flameball shift knob (an unapproved electrical accessory) has voided your warranty.

JUST KIDDING! Remember, intermittent problems of this nature are often the ignition switch...poor electrical contacts causing irregular voltage to the computer(s).
Joel i dont have one of those but thanks for you input.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Focks - About 1 out of every 10 vehicles that change to headers and the high flow Cats get the check engine light. You can upgrade to the C6 Oxygen Sensors and that will usually fix the problem. I would start with just the Pre Cat Oxygen Sensors first as they cost about $120.00 each. Matjow just did his for the same reason and said his performs better with the new sensors too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts