Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK gang, I need your help. I change my oil and filter (only at my dealer) every 5,000 miles, I always use Mobil 1 and have never had a problem.

But, coming home yesterday afternoon, this little light on the dash came on

and I only have 3,000 miles on it since my last oil change!

I've checked the oil level (full!) and have not driven Miss Daisy with any abuse (read that as FAST!) the past 3,000 miles, so two questions:
  1. What could this be telling me?
  2. How do I reset the light until the 5,000 miles occurs?
All comments are welcome............

Sorry, forgot to mention that the percentage is showing 0%!

·
Registered
56 Posts
What is the oil life percentage remaining?

Maybe the dealer didnt reset the oil life remaining to 100% last time around?

What is the percentage showing now?

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
English Gent said:
Maybe the dealer didnt reset the oil life remaining to 100% last time around?

What is the percentage showing now?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Buffy said:
OK gang, I need your help. I change my oil and filter (only at my dealer) every 5,000 miles, I always use Mobil 1 and have never had a problem.

But, coming home yesterday afternoon, this little light on the dash came on

and I only have 3,000 miles on it since my last oil change!

I've checked the oil level (full!) and have not driven Miss Daisy with any abuse (read that as FAST!) the past 3,000 miles, so two questions:
  1. What could this be telling me?
  2. How do I reset the light until the 5,000 miles occurs?
All comments are welcome............

John if the DIC reading for your oil is zero, then you need to re-set it for 100% after the oil is changed. That will probably correct the engine light. The owners manual will tell you how to do that, if not call me and I'll tell you. Good luck. :flag

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Yes...you must reset your DIC oil monitor after every oil change.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
tsk, tsk, tsk

Buffy, you shouldn't be allowed to drive an SSR... :D after a question like that when there is such an obvious answer... :leaving

Boy, they will just issue a driver's license to anyone in Georgia... :willy:

Good luck Buffy. When are you going to rotate the SSR tires??? :glol

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
OP said:
Buffy, you shouldn't be allowed to drive an SSR... :D after a question like that when there is such an obvious answer... :leaving

Boy, they will just issue a driver's license to anyone in Georgia... :willy:

Good luck Buffy. When are you going to rotate the SSR tires??? :glol
OUCH! :eek

·
OP
8,225 Posts

I'm Teasing...Buffy should know that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dang

:D :D Boy, this is a rough crowd even during the holidays

·
Registered
893 Posts
Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Lighten up on Buffy........And you guy's put your brains in gear.............Some of these dumb tech..........consider 100%as = to 3000 miles .....so Buffy would be looking at oil change time at 3000 miles irregardless of the use of Mobil 1.......I know when I got mine back after the first oil change ......the next oil change was listed for 3000......even tho I had made a point of the use of Mobil 1........(The service mgr didn't know that the SSR required Mobil 1..........And I pointed it out to him on the oilfiller cap!!!!!!!!!!You see when I went in I ask him "You are going to use mobil1 arn't you....and he gave me a dumb look and said no.....not unless you
want it that way.........Dumb Dumb Dumb............especially for a Service Mgr. !!!!! It may be that the only reset that tech knew was 3000 miles..........so :leaving

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dealer ERROR

If Buffy is getting his oil changed by the dealer, I would consider the problem a dealer error. For what a dealer charges for an oil change you would think they would know to reset the DIC. It would be like in the old days when they changed oil, they wrote the mileage that the oil needed to be changed next. Not resetting the DIC would be like writting down the wrong mileage for the next change. I think Buffy should be getting a freebe oil change from the dealer on his next visit.

Doug

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Pushrods4ever said:
If Buffy is getting her oil changed by the dealer, I would consider the problem a dealer error. For what a dealer charges for an oil change you would think they would know to reset the DIC. It would be like in the old days when they changed oil, they wrote the mileage that the oil needed to be changed next. Not resetting the DIC would be like writting down the wrong mileage for the next change. I think Buffy should be getting a freebe oil change from the dealer on her next visit.

Doug

The way this is written you are under the impression that Buffy is female. Now that could be because a man would almost never ask such a question.
But good old Buffy has given the male population a kick in the ass. :glol

Buffy = John = Big Ugly Fat F*+*ing Yankee

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry Buffy

Oops, sorry Buffy

I guess because I used to have a girlfriend named BUFFY, I still think folks with that name are gals. I did correct my post.

Doug

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Havin Fun with Buffy

OP said:
I'm Teasing...Buffy should know that.
Yes of course... I think we ALL know you were just teasing Buffy. :D

However it is very easy to forget that you have to reset your computer/ oil light reminder every time you have your oil changed. Otherwise the computer won't know you changed your oil and it won't give you an accurate reading.

BTW: You would think that the service person would have known to do that! :smash

·
Registered
893 Posts
Damn

Did anybody really read what Buffy wrote?????????He put 3000 miles on it and it came up to remind him he needed and oil change........It looks like to me they did reset it for SOMETHING!!!!!!3000 miles. And he was wanting to know how to set it for 5000 miles in the future........Or did I miss something??????????Oh and by the way......my dealer still puts a tag on the windshield..........and its for ......guess what? "3000 miles" :yesnod :yesnod :yesnod :willy:

·
Registered
56 Posts
actually - ?

It reads more like he got the oil changed at 5000 miles (no reset) and then at 8000 miles (the additional 3000?) the percentage hit zero - which is about right.

What I am having difficulty with here is why folks are changing their oil at 5 and 6 thousand miles and ignoring the GM Change Oil system which is actually pretty conservative? Or maybe I have missed something?

Particulalry folk who use Mobil 1? Just isnt any need for it at all.

As said elsewhere I have a by pass filter fitted and I am reasonably confident the oil will last for the best part of 50,000 miles!! The bypass takes out all water and everything above 3 micron particle size - I just change the by pass filter every 7,500 miles.

The additives and cleaning agents will easily last 50k with no water in there.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
re-read carefully...?

Whitewolf said:
Did anybody really read what Buffy wrote?????????...
Yes I did!

John stated he has always had his oil changed at the dealership with Mobil 1 approx. every 5,000 Miles. However, this time his oil light came on at 3,000. Nothing has changed for John except now his light came on too early. :confused

Here is what I believed happened. The computer must have always been reset after every oil change, except for this time... because John implies that it has never come on at 3,000 miles before. Here is another dead give-a-way; the oil life was now at 0%. The computer is designed to monitor all the driving conditions that the vehicle experiences. It usually will signal the owner to change their oil between 5,000 - 8,000 miles if it has been driven under normal conditions.

IMO: Here is what I read into this .... the service person probably did NOT reset John's computer. The computer had thought the SSR had gone over 8,000 miles without an oil change. (The computer read 0% oil life) thus the light came on to signal it is was now time to change his oil.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Documented maintenance records is a must!

English Gent said:
... Particulalry folk who use Mobil 1? Just isnt any need for it at all.

As said elsewhere I have a by pass filter fitted and I am reasonably confident the oil will last for the best part of 50,000 miles!! The bypass takes out all water and everything above 3 micron particle size - I just change the by pass filter every 7,500 miles.

The additives and cleaning agents will easily last 50k with no water in there.
You certainly might be accurate with your assumptions, however if there is ever an issue with an engine warranty you better have all your detailed maintenance records that shows you have maintained your vehicle to normal GM rated / scheduled oil changes.

My .02

·
Registered
192 Posts
Marc NY said:
IMO: Here is what I read into this .... the service person probably did NOT reset John's computer. The computer had thought the SSR had gone over 8,000 miles without an oil change. (The computer read 0% oil life) thus the light came on to signal it is was now time to change his oil.[/COLOR]
:agree

GM reports that most oil change intervals using their oil life monitoring system come out to about 8,500 miles, which works out just as you stated. I get almost exactly that in my wife's Trailblazer with the 5.3L V8. This is just another example of why I try to avoid dealerships.

In the SSR, can you see the oil life remaining at any time, e.g. can you check the percentage after you get the car back from the dealership and if it is not reading 100% reset it yourself (which is easy)? I can see it on both my Vette and my wife's Trailblazer.

P.S. The SSR does not require Mobil 1. GM can't require you to use a specific oil per the Magnuson-Moss Act. The oil filler cap is extremely effective advertising. If you read your owner's manual it will have the actual requirements for your oil which many synthetics meet. It will also have words to the effect that the factory fill Mobil 1 meets all specifications (which it obviously does). :cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts