Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we’ve hashed this out before, but the spate of new members in the last year or so prompts me to drag it up again.
When asking or answering questions it’s a big help if we’re all speaking(writing) Chevy language.

If you say tire and I say round rubber things it rides on, it’s awkward but we understand each other.
If you say tonneau cover thinking bed and I’m thinking roof, we don’t.
That’s worse than awkward and leads to many misunderstandings.

Yeah, I know, I had several El Caminos with canvas tonneau covers over the bed.
But for the SSR Chevy chose tonneau cover for the roof and cargo cover for the bed.
I see bed cover as an acceptable option to cargo cover, but tonneau is always the roof storage compartment cover.
So if we all speak Chevy it’s much easier. :yesnod

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,557 Posts
I know we’ve hashed this out before, but the spate of new members in the last year or so prompts me to drag it up again.
When asking or answering questions it’s a big help if we’re all speaking(writing) Chevy language.

If you say tire and I say round rubber things it rides on, it’s awkward but we understand each other.
If you say tonneau cover thinking bed and I’m thinking roof, we don’t.
That’s worse than awkward and leads to many misunderstandings.

Yeah, I know, I had several El Caminos with canvas tonneau covers over the bed.
But for the SSR Chevy chose tonneau cover for the roof and cargo cover for the bed.
I see bed cover as an acceptable option to cargo cover, but tonneau is always the roof storage compartment cover.
So if we all speak Chevy it’s much easier. :yesnod
Thanks Bruce. I was noticing the same thing and you have stated it very well.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,388 Posts
I just looked it up also to verify and the following was noted in the vehicle owners manual.
Page 2-36 states Rear cargo cover. (That is the part you open up with the key fob)
Page 2-53 States Roof tonneau. ( That is the little flipper door that opens to store the roof.)

Further problems have come up lately when the hinges get bent on the earlier models and have to be replaced in a pair for the flipper to operate properly.

Good job Bruce.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
I just looked it up also to verify and the following was noted in the vehicle owners manual.
Page 2-36 states Rear cargo cover. (That is the part you open up with the key fob)
Page 2-53 States Roof tonneau. ( That is the little flipper door that opens to store the roof.)

Further problems have come up lately when the hinges get bent on the earlier models and have to be replaced in a pair for the flipper to operate properly.

Good job Bruce.
:|

I hear you guys, and I'm for sure a (Chevy) guy, but you guys need to think about taking up something like golf, or tennis or Pickle ball...........etc.

While I spend too much time on this site, I do play golf about twice a week (poorly) and along with my daily afternoon nap and late afternoon cocktail hour, I (maybe) miss a few hours of what's up.......with this site.

We need to embrace someones lack of understanding the difference between a roof tonneau and a rear cargo cover............PLEASE............Take up a hobby or sport where you can "vent" and then not get too caught up in terminology used by less than (savy) participants.:wink2:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,557 Posts

I hear you guys, and I'm for sure a (Chevy) guy, but you guys need to think about taking up something like golf, or tennis or Pickle ball...........etc.

While I spend too much time on this site, I do play golf about twice a week (poorly) and along with my daily afternoon nap and late afternoon cocktail hour, I (maybe) miss a few hours of what's up.......with this site.

We need to embrace someones lack of understanding the difference between a roof tonneau and a rear cargo cover............PLEASE............Take up a hobby or sport where you can "vent" and then not get too caught up in terminology used by less than (savy) participants.:wink2:
I do not think Bruce was Ranting, I think he was trying to help the newer members understand so they do not have the troubles we had in earlier years. Just bringing up things covered in the past and not easily found in a search, especially when you think you know what your are saying.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts

Perhaps you should give up the afternoon cocktail hour. That might help improve your behavior here on this site where you are a newbie with much to learn, and little to contribute in the way of SSR knowledge.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Perhaps you should give up the afternoon cocktail hour. That might help improve your behavior here on this site where you are a newbie with much to learn, and little to contribute in the way of SSR knowledge.
>:)

Poppa, While I've only been active on the site since last Fall, I've been involved pretty much since that time. Seems odd to me that although you have significantly more entries than do I, I don't recall that many from you since I came on board.:|

My behavior here is what it is....................Come see me if you're headed for the Daytona Rally and we can get into it further.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Don't worry too much about poppa. Hands down the crotchetiest participant here. I'd call him a member, but he still chooses not to pay his share of the site upkeep.

Ironic that he says someone else has little to contribute when he has contributed nothing financially for 12 years.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,949 Posts
SLOW down boys!!

Poppa was and is a Florida Chapter member and has been for years. Attended more rallies than I can remember, tech days too.

And thanks xoBruce for some clarification on GM description in their manuals. BAD!

Depended what day and who wrote it.

03/04 PCM 05/06 ECM? 03/04 "T latch" 05/06 "Time Out" and "ROOF AJAR", NOT.

On and on, so I use "thing-a-majig".

Dicktator

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
SLOW down boys!!

Poppa was and is a Florida Chapter member and has been for years. Attended more rallies than I can remember, tech days too.

And thanks xoBruce for some clarification on GM description in their manuals. BAD!

Depended what day and who wrote it.

03/04 PCM 05/06 ECM? 03/04 "T latch" 05/06 "Time Out" and "ROOF AJAR", NOT.

On and on, so I use "thing-a-majig".

Dicktator
Thanks Dick I appreciate your help, but I just consider the source and let it go. Talk is cheap and words don't bother me. I know that usually the dogs that bark the loudest also run the fastest.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Don't worry too much about poppa. Hands down the crotchetiest participant here. I'd call him a member, but he still chooses not to pay his share of the site upkeep.

Ironic that he says someone else has little to contribute when he has contributed nothing financially for 12 years.
I'm not crotchety I just know bull**** when I see it and I call a spade a spade. My lifelong motto from my father. Honesty and respect words to live by

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
"Every other truck manufacturer and after market parts manufacturer" don't have retractable roofs. I'd like to eliminate the inevitable at least three or four posts to get everyone on the same page whenever the subject comes up.
If you don't believe me look at this thread.

The alternative is to just not answer questions using the wrong terminology and that's the worst thing that can happen, it's against the basic foundation of this site.

Now that's a rant. :harhar:

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Yup... bad etiquette not to answer alright.

But expecting correct term usage here is like expecting a British person to call a hood a hood and not a bonnet, or a trunk a trunk and not a boot, or a top a top and not a hood. The term "tonneau cover" has been ingrained in our dialect to mean a bed cover. Sadly, I think Chevy got it wrong on this one.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,388 Posts
Yup... bad etiquette not to answer alright.

But expecting correct term usage here is like expecting a British person to call a hood a hood and not a bonnet, or a trunk a trunk and not a boot, or a top a top and not a hood. The term "tonneau cover" has been ingrained in our dialect to mean a bed cover. Sadly, I think Chevy got it wrong on this one.
The main thing is when ordering hinges get the right ones or lots of ordering and returning and not fitting.

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But expecting correct term usage here is like expecting a British person to call a hood a hood and not a bonnet, or a trunk a trunk and not a boot, or a top a top and not a hood.
Apples and oranges. It's easy to understand a different name for an item the vehicle only has one of. Once you know that, you understand what they're talking about.
The term "tonneau cover" has been ingrained in our dialect to mean a bed cover. Sadly, I think Chevy got it wrong on this one.
The tonneau cover in history was always to cover the convertible top, and sometimes the entire cockpit on sports cars, when the top was down, never to cover the trunk/boot. It's only recently it was applied to pickup trucks, and even then real working trucks didn't have them. It's only since pickups have become the second(sometimes first) car in suburbia that they spread from hot rod and show trucks to the masses.

The main thing is when ordering hinges get the right ones or lots of ordering and returning and not fitting.
Yeah, there are eight cover hinges, left and right, early and late, for the tonneau cover, and the same for the cargo cover.

Not to mention the tailgate, hood, doors, glove box, arm rest, gas flap, visors(guess those are really pivots), filler flap for when the top is down, etc. :lol

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts

Well, I hear ya but it seems he and looks like a few others took my posting as accusing some of "ranting". Reviewing what I said, rant was not in there. I thought the concerns being expressed about "terminology" was a little (over the top) as how was a new guy gonna know right off the bat about such terms.......and which one was what.

Thus, using some of my wry humor, I thought maybe I could "tug" on a few chains just for fun. Obviously, it didn't go well at all. Sometimes it seems I have a unique talent and ability to pizz off some folks. I'm coming to understand some don't want their chains tugged at all.

I get it now.:|

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
See what happens when ya get a bunch of crusty old fart know-it-alls together on a web forum! :boxing :shades:

Someone who didn't know better would think we were a bunch of 12 year olds! :willy:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts