Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my local Chevy dealer to take advantage of the free oil change offered as a part of the Chvey Owner Appreciation program. Asked the Service Manager to use Mobil 1 for the oil change as this was the type of oil used by the same dealership when I had the first oil change in my 2004 SSR. Service Manager stated that the standard oil used for the 5.3L engine was 5W30 and not synthetic oil. We looked at the oil fill cap and it did not have any special markings as I guess the vette may have that signifys the use of Mobil 1 oil only.

Anyway, upon my insistence the Service Manager authorized the use of Mobil 1 oil. After getting home I was filing away the service receipt when I noticed that the Service Manager had typed on the receipt 5W30S for the type of oil. Is this just a different designation for Mobil 1? My previous oil change receipt actually stated Mobil 1 on the receipt. Does the "S" designate the oil to be synthetic; however, the brand of oil may be in question?

With a 5.3L engine, does it really matter whether or not I use a synthetic oil or a non-synthetic oil as outlined in the Owner's manual. Any help you can lend to this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully this post will go through as it is my first since joining the fanatics a couple of days ago. For your information, I have a 2004 Slingshot Yellow SSR. Birthdate of SSR was March 22, 2004. Thank you. SSR4TWO :seeya

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 04's owners manual only recommends SAE 5W-30 synthetic for very cold weather below -20 F. So I would say "normal" 5W-30 is OK

·
Registered
192 Posts
SSR4TWO said:
With a 5.3L engine, does it really matter whether or not I use a synthetic oil or a non-synthetic oil as outlined in the Owner's manual. Any help you can lend to this matter will be greatly appreciated.
My wife has the same 5.3L V-8 in her Chevy Trailblazer. This engine does not require a synthetic as does the LS1, LS2 and LS6 motors in the various Vettes. Your engine will be fine with a non-synthetic in it, though I personally wouldn't run it as long as I would a synthetic. I use AMSOIL XL Synthetic 5w30, a group III synthetic, in my wife's Trailblazer and change her oil per the oil life monitor, which normally comes out to about 8,500-9,500 miles in around six months. :cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts