Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Smokin Asphalt 6 speed
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to warm up my 05 6 speed, is a chip or a programmer the way to go? I think a chip is a plug and play, but I want some adjustability to certain things? I’m leaning towards the Diablo programmer. Let me know what you think, don’t know much about either one, Thanks Jim.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
if you search the forum, I think you will discover that most Fanatics are happy with the professional tune. Adding a chip or Diablo do not seem to gain as much positive feedback.
just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,294 Posts
@JIM C There is a lot of differences between the three things mentioned. First a chip is a plug in accessory that is basically a plug in tune. What all it will cover is hard to say. I have never looked into them. Probably reset the fuel curve, tighten up the shift points. adjust timing. A hand held tuner can vary quite a bit depending on what you want to do and what you are capable of doing. The most basic will have preset tunes and may have a couple of different levels to them. They may allow some changes in tire sizes or other things, They usually also have different tuned based on gas ratings such as a regular, mid grade or premium tune. These will all work with the timing. Then there are some tuners that will allow a custom tune. These can have a preset with variables allowed on them. ( I have a Diablo like this) These will allow changes like fan settings, transmission firmness, fuel ratings. One of the biggest benefits to these are you can save your stock tune and reload it at any time. You can also change your tune as you modify your truck. If you mess up you can always go back to stock and start over. Then there are services like EFI Live where you can basically write your own tunes. You need to know what your doing with this type tune. This is similar to what most pro tuners use. They have done many and know what works for SSRs and they will load a tune tailored to your driving habits.

The other thing is pricing. Some of the plug in chip deals are rather cheap around $100. A hand held tuner can be anywhere from a used version of 150- 400. Something like EFI Live can be around $500. Pro tuners can vary also. Also some tuners may even do dyno runs to verify the gains with dyno sheets.

So depending on what your comfort level is, money to spend and what your looking for all play into what you do.

One other thing your truck being a 6 speed shift firmness and setting would not be applicable.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR, Customized
655 Posts
I had an SSR with a professional tune and it ran very well.
About a year later, the engine started to mis-fire.
‘My Tech-2 could not read the mis-fire.
I had the ECM re-tuned to factory settings and the Tech-2 could read the mis-fire.
My #7 spark plug was cracked.
I left the ECM set to factory settings.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
I have done three things to help with the performance of my R. Changed the gear ratio to 4.56, had a "tune" done and replaced the shifter. I would recommend all three for your '05 six speed.

I have had mine professionally tuned twice. It also is a '05 six speed. Originally because I went with a 4.56 as I noted and needed the speedometer corrected. I shipped this to PA and they programmed it. They also do a mild tune that I noticed in the throttle response right away. I had Jeremy tune at Springfield MO to set the fan and fuel etc.. I drove and he tuned at the same time. Then at the Texas rally he rechecked and adjusted slightly as I ported and polished the throttle body. I did not do a check at Branson and was unable to attend Cincinnati.

I noticed a change each time. It runs better now and the temp runs more reasonable. The throttle response is much quicker. I did not notice any change in fuel mileage. I have the original and the updated tunes on a finger drive in the glove box.

I also put a Core Shifter Hurst kit and this also made a great deal of difference in the shifting. Since you have a six-speed I thought I would throw that in. The original reminded my of my '53 Ford pickup. This is much tighter and more direct.

I highly recommend both the gear change, tune and the shifter on your six speed.

Dave

EDIT

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I
@JIM C There is a lot of differences between the three things mentioned. First a chip is a plug in accessory that is basically a plug in tune. What all it will cover is hard to say. I have never looked into them. Probably reset the fuel curve, tighten up the shift points. adjust timing. A hand held tuner can vary quite a bit depending on what you want to do and what you are capable of doing. The most basic will have preset tunes and may have a couple of different levels to them. They may allow some changes in tire sizes or other things, They usually also have different tuned based on gas ratings such as a regular, mid grade or premium tune. These will all work with the timing. Then there are some tuners that will allow a custom tune. These can have a preset with variables allowed on them. ( I have a Diablo like this) These will allow changes like fan settings, transmission firmness, fuel ratings. One of the biggest benefits to these are you can save your stock tune and reload it at any time. You can also change your tune as you modify your truck. If you mess up you can always go back to stock and start over. Then there are services like EFI Live where you can basically write your own tunes. You need to know what your doing with this type tune. This is similar to what most pro tuners use. They have done many and know what works for SSRs and they will load a tune tailored to your driving habits.

The other thing is pricing. Some of the plug in chip deals are rather cheap around $100. A hand held tuner can be anywhere from a used version of 150- 400. Something like EFI Live can be around $500. Pro tuners can vary also. Also some tuners may even do dyno runs to verify the gains with dyno sheets.

So depending on what your comfort level is, money to spend and what your looking for all play into what you do.

One other thing your truck being a 6 speed shift firmness and setting would not be applicable.

Good Luck
Thanks a lot man, I appreciate your time and knowledge this really helped me out, I know what to do with a old-school small block or big block Chevrolet but this is my first LS, I got a lot to learn? Thanks again man🇺🇸👍

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I
Thanks a lot man, I appreciate your time and knowledge this really helped me out, I know what to do with a old-school small block or big block Chevrolet but this is my first LS, I got a lot to learn? Thanks again man🇺🇸👍
Yes old school stuff was easy, bigger cam, headers, and a better carb and you were set.

I got in on early chips with the Buick Grand Nationals and that was different than the new stuff even. Then someone had to program or burn the chips for you. You pulled out the ECM and pulled out the old and put in a new one. I think I still have about a half dozen of them around.

Now you can plug in a tuner and make adjustments, unplug it and go for a test drive. Like I said it depends a lot on your comfort level. I have a tuner I can adjust stuff with. The EFI Live is much more complex and you really need to have some back ground or some time to learn it. The professional guys who tune the SSRs have done a lot of them and they know what the average guys will want and how to tune to their driving. Now if you go all in and change heads, intake and cam shafts that is going to take someone who will tune that combination for you. There is where the dyno will really help out. They can tune to maximiser all the power the combination can make but you will probably find little places where you will use it all unless your going to race it. If your looking to race something the SSR is not the best option out there. It takes more horse power to move more weight and these have their share of that.

I have plans for changing up my set up in my 05 because I want the extra power and I like that sound of a nice cam profile. Will I need it, NO, will I use it, probably not often, but will it sound good coming down the street? HELL YES IT WILL. 😁 😈

·
High Plains Roadster
337 Posts
I have an 05 Automatic and I'm waiting for the next rally I can attend to get a tune from someone who knows what to do with the SSR. Everyone speaks highly of the tunes done at the rallies.

There is professional performance tune up place not far from where I live but I am not eager to be his guinea pig to learn about the SSR. My local mechanic says I can send my PCM to lots of other places around the country and they will return it reset to "better" specs but that also makes me antsy.

If I was having a problem with my SSR or if I was very dissatisfied with its stock performance, maybe I would try those routes but neither is the case so I am waiting it out.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes old school stuff was easy, bigger cam, headers, and a better carb and you were set.

I got in on early chips with the Buick Grand Nationals and that was different than the new stuff even. Then someone had to program or burn the chips for you. You pulled out the ECM and pulled out the old and put in a new one. I think I still have about a half dozen of them around.

Now you can plug in a tuner and make adjustments, unplug it and go for a test drive. Like I said it depends a lot on your comfort level. I have a tuner I can adjust stuff with. The EFI Live is much more complex and you really need to have some back ground or some time to learn it. The professional guys who tune the SSRs have done a lot of them and they know what the average guys will want and how to tune to their driving. Now if you go all in and change heads, intake and cam shafts that is going to take someone who will tune that combination for you. There is where the dyno will really help out. They can tune to maximiser all the power the combination can make but you will probably find little places where you will use it all unless your going to race it. If your looking to race something the SSR is not the best option out there. It takes more horse power to move more weight and these have their share of that.

I have plans for changing up my set up in my 05 because I want the extra power and I like that sound of a nice cam profile. Will I need it, NO, will I use it, probably not often, but will it sound good coming down the street? HELL YES IT WILL. 😁 😈

Are you familiar with the predator 2 platinum from Diablo? If so, what’s your take on it.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts

I love the "lope" of the cams. I really don't need any more power, so I probably won't do it. We used to put "RV cams" in our pickups back in the day.

Dave

EDIT

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I agree with 4.56 gears with the 6 speed and a mild tune. I would also recommend porting/polishing your throttle body as it makes a big difference in throttle response.

If you don't want to do that, the C6 throttle body (part number 12570790) is plug 'n' play (but very pricey...do not use anything but an OEM unit) and I honestly can't tell the difference in performance at all between my original ported/polished throttle body (that I still have just in case...I should sell it lol) or the C6 unit.

The gear change was the biggest change in performance. Truck was honestly portly and surprisingly slow before that. Now it feels 1500lbs lighter. Honestly.

A good tune to set the speedometer is a must if you go with 4.56 gears on a 6spd. I recommend PCM For Less.

As of 2012 (this may have changed) Jeremy Formato could not correct the speedometer for the 4.56 gears on a 6spd. I traveled to Florida for an in-person in-car tune after he had reassured me on the phone the week prior that he could program it to correct the speedometer. Well, after an hour or so and $350 later, he said, "Sorry, dude I can't do it." He refused to refund my money.

I had to send the ECM off to Brian Herter at PCM For Less to correct what Jeremy attempted (and failed to do) and after another $300 I had a great tune and a working speedometer.

Jeremy is well-regarded here, and maybe he learned how to program the speedo in the ensuing years. I sure hope so.

But, check with him first, double check, and triple check with him. He flat-out insisted he could do it and couldn't.

The way I see it, he still owes me a refund.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I have a Diablo Sport 8245 Itune I3 Platinum. I first loaded a tune they had programmed in it. My truck ran hot with it so I went back in and changed fan settings on it. I run it on the 91 Octane tune with some other changes. I did not want the transmission hitting hard so I didn't mess with that a lot. What I did now I don't remember. I do know it shifts and runs harder than my other 05 with out a tune in it.

One other neat thing about this one is you can tune multiple vehicles with it. So I can pay the extra fee and have one tuner but put tunes in both trucks. I keep meaning to do that but it gets further down the list of to do things.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
I agree with 4.56 gears with the 6 speed and a mild tune. I would also recommend porting/polishing your throttle body as it makes a big difference in throttle response.

If you don't want to do that, the C6 throttle body (part number 12570790) is plug 'n' play (but very pricey...do not use anything but an OEM unit) and I honestly can't tell the difference in performance at all between my original ported/polished throttle body (that I still have just in case...I should sell it lol) or the C6 unit.

The gear change was the biggest change in performance. Truck was honestly portly and surprisingly slow before that. Now it feels 1500lbs lighter. Honestly.

A good tune to set the speedometer is a must if you go with 4.56 gears on a 6spd. I recommend PCM For Less.

As of 2012 (this may have changed) Jeremy Formato could not correct the speedometer for the 4.56 gears on a 6spd. I traveled to Florida for an in-person in-car tune after he had reassured me on the phone the week prior that he could program it to correct the speedometer. Well, after an hour or so and $350 later, he said, "Sorry, dude I can't do it." He refused to refund my money.

I had to send the ECM off to Brian Herter at PCM For Less to correct what Jeremy attempted (and failed to do) and after another $300 I had a great tune and a working speedometer.

Jeremy is well-regarded here, and maybe he learned how to program the speedo in the ensuing years. I sure hope so.

But, check with him first, double check, and triple check with him. He flat-out insisted he could do it and couldn't.

The way I see it, he still owes me a refund.

Good luck!
I also have the 4.56. I sent it to PCM For Less and they adjusted it to where it is right on with the Garmin with OEM size tires. I did this before I had Jeremy tune, so I can't say about the speedometer adjustment. After that I had had Jeremy tune in Springfield at the rally. I was happy with that, and then had an adjustment at the Texas rally after I ported and polished the throttle body..

I agree with the mods, but IDK about the speedometer since mine was already done. I was pleased with the tune.

Dave

EDIT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts