Chevy SSR Forum banner

Chip programming is it worth it?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Lew4ut 
G
#1 ·
Programing a chip are the risks greater than the rewards? I have an opportunity to go on a dyno and have my software optimized by a speed shop. The baby runs fine now so I'm afraid it might mess up a good thing. Can some members give their opinions based on real experience. Thanks. :seeya

#2 ·
Cruz, here's the way I look at it.

First, I've not had this done to mine. Am interested in the additional HP and TQ , and shifting improvements, but two monetory issues are tied with this.

The Programmer cost, anywhere for $275-400, and the continuing use of premium fuel required by the program features to reap the programmed increases. Premium fuel is about .20/gal an additional cost every time you fill up. Using the vehicle as a daily driver for 10k miles per year (avg 20 mpg) thats an additional $100 per year. Not a significent number for most of us. (Me anyway)

To me it seems like good value for what your receiving. Reprogramming back to default standards is as easily done as initiating the program, so I assume.

Decision is yours...I'd like to hear from folks who have done this, and their oponion on the worthiness of the expense.

P/P

Peace :flag

#3 ·
I have not had this done to my 04 as of yet but I like several others would like the boost in HP & TQ. My concern is that it will void the factory warranty. I have also heard that in order to get maximum performance that you should go to a shop that will tune your vehicle specifically and not use the standard program that comes with the standard programers. Any experience from anyone on the warranty issues?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.