Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago while searching for an SSR I saw one with a Chrome or polished aluminum triple gauge pod. Where can one be had and how much? Mine is either plastic or fiberglass which doesn't lend itself to either chroming or polishing.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,734 Posts
The only thing I could suggest is to check with Mike at Simple Engineering, checking eBay and here on the forum. Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
A few weeks ago while searching for an SSR I saw one with a Chrome or polished aluminum triple gauge pod. Where can one be had and how much? Mine is either plastic or fiberglass which doesn't lend itself to either chroming or polishing.[/QUOTE

I have Pauls Plating,Home do my fiberglass parts in real chrome. Or this guy Dale Tayler, Taylers Colors 615- 604-8419 in TN, he does a paint kind of chrome called Cosmic Chrome

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,222 Posts
The chrome gauge pod is a factory item and it is plastic, just like the colored ones, all factory pods are plastic. Plastic can be chrome plated as Eric pointed out.

If you have a "satin" finished pod you could polish it to a chrome like finish. I, and a few others here, have taken polishing compound and polished the satin to a chrome finish. It is very similar but not exactly the chrome finish that the OEM pods came in.

If you keep watching here or on EBay you will likely find a chrome pod for sale, they do pop up from time to time if you can wait for it.

Here are is a picture of some work I did awhile ago, polished the factory satin finish steering wheel, pod and shifter to chrome.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
A few weeks ago while searching for an SSR I saw one with a Chrome or polished aluminum triple gauge pod. Where can one be had and how much? Mine is either plastic or fiberglass which doesn't lend itself to either chroming or polishing.
tnhillbilly, I've had Taylor's Colors do some chrome work for me, he is between Murfreesboro and Eagleville. He has a website Taylor's Colors.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tnhillbilly, I've had Taylor's Colors do some chrome work for me, he is between Murfreesboro and Eagleville. He has a website Taylor's Colors.
Sounds like Taylor's Colors is my best choice but the steering wheel, gauge pod, shifter ball look awful good. Thanks

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
The used set of gauges on eBay ($1200.... really??????) is for a 2003-2004 and are not compatible with the 2005-2006 system.

I have several complete console gauge pods that are for the 2005-2006 electrical system. I have the pods in Redline Red, Slingshot Yellow, Pacific Blue and Satin Silver plated. Sorry..... none in chrome. All of the sets of gauges come with a 2006 mounting bracket. I will take $500 for each. This includes shipping. These came from Floyd Bailey's estate and the proceeds will go to the estate.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Show us some pictures of the parts you had chrome painted please...
I will when I get it done along with the price and his address, phone number, turn time, etc. but no matter how good they turn out it would be hard to top Dragon2U;s photos above.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Show us some pictures of the parts you had chrome painted please...

@eric-mpd, Here is pictures of 3 pieces Taylors Colors chromed for Me. Picture of Shifter cover isn't very good had to take inside. As you know the make up of these trim parts, for those who don't GM started with the plain plastic part, than coated with copper, than coated with chrome and finally applied a coat of satin. A person trying to do it them self by buffing satin off must take a lot of time and not heating up plastic, this will cause it to blister. A person rechroming it must take it down to bare plastic so they can get it to get a smooth coat and to adhere properly, which takes time (which is not cheap). Picture of control rings is what I did by buffing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Those are beautiful what type of compound and brand did you use what type of cloth did you have to seal it after the polishing ?
I a'm a new lifetime member been quietly reading the posts and looking at the pictures
I've talked to Roger Dodger on the phone got his card from my salesman when I picked up the Truck I trailered it home we had a reprieve in the cold weather the weekend I went to get it in Peoria and we had two nice days wen I got home so I was able to drive about 20 miles
have not been able to drive it with the top down to cold!
again loved the polishing job very impressive

Grover Simpson
New lifetime member to the forum
looking forward to meeting some of the people at future rallys this year

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Those are beautiful what type of compound and brand did you use what type of cloth did you have to seal it after the polishing ?
I a'm a new lifetime member been quietly reading the posts and looking at the pictures
I've talked to Roger Dodger on the phone got his card from my salesman when I picked up the Truck I trailered it home we had a reprieve in the cold weather the weekend I went to get it in Peoria and we had two nice days wen I got home so I was able to drive about 20 miles
have not been able to drive it with the top down to cold!
again loved the polishing job very impressive

Grover Simpson
New lifetime member to the forum
looking forward to meeting some of the people at future rallys this year
I Used dremel and small buffing wheels with Green Rouge. I believe Jersey Red is using a polishing compound. Which ever you use it is time consuming.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts