Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Ricochet Silver # 23908
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All;

ISO ( 1 ) front and ( 1 ) rear chrome ( shiny ) center wheel caps w/gold bow tie, not satin. When I got the truck there were some extra parts including a front and rear chrome cap with gold bow tie. Mine currently has the chrome ( shiny caps ) with NO bow tie. Did the EBAY thing and got Satin with a silver bow tie. Needed to return them. Thxs in advance.

Kelly O

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
823 Posts
All;

ISO ( 1 ) front and ( 1 ) rear chrome ( shiny ) center wheel caps w/gold bow tie, not satin. When I got the truck there were some extra parts including a front and rear chrome cap with gold bow tie. Mine currently has the chrome ( shiny caps ) with NO bow tie. Did the EBAY thing and got Satin with a silver bow tie. Needed to return them. Thxs in advance.

Kelly O
The value of the caps would depend on whether they are originals or aftermarket & their condition, particularly if any of the plastic tabs that support the retention ring are broken or missing. The back of the cap identifies the originals and of course general overall condition of the chrome & the plastic is important. Keep in mind aftermarket are available and very affordable and some are quite good, originals not so and they had issues even when new.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,690 Posts
Added gold bowties from QWKSSR to my plain chrome caps for my 04 (factory chrome wheels on window sticker)
The hardest part was getting them centered, most can't tell the difference - OE chrome caps are in storage so they will all match and not too expensive if I loose one and they will still match.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,803 Posts
The usual thing that happens is that someone starts out with a set of factory center caps and then something happens. Either someone or something happens and a cap gets broken or lost. The owner goes on a search for replacement caps and after they recover from the sticker shock of factory chrome caps they go buy a full set of aftermarket caps for less than the cost of one factory chrome cap. They then take off the remaining factory ones and save them.

The after market can be found a couple of ways. Flat caps with no bow ties, flat caps with decals of the bow ties or there are some that have the raised bow tie similar to the factory ones. I have a set of flat caps on one truck and a set of factory ones on another. I have only had one person say anything about my center caps and he asked why was I still running the factory caps instead of aftermarket ones and saving the factory caps.
My answer was I was too lazy to swap them out so far. Maybe I will see if there is room at the bottom of the to do list and swap them out.

All joking aside if the caps you have match I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't hit Ebay and grab a full set and save what you have left over. The center caps need a little attention to take off and install but if your careful they shouldn't be a problem. What I always do is I reach down and put my thumbs on the fin part of the cap and rotate it a little then reach under them and pull them off. I don't need a pry tool and they come off pretty easy that way. They are position specific and the valve stem it the indicator to where it should be. Look at the back side of the cap to find the valve stem there. Line it up and snap it on.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
You nailed it Stlhotrod, I left the dealership in Atlanta with 4 center caps, first gas stop several hundred miles up the road and one had fallen off. Went on home to Maryland, got on-line, had sticker shock at $75 each for OEMs, ordered one anyway. Then ordered a set of 4 plain aftermarkets with no bowties, put those on, boxed up the originals. Intention was to switch them out at shows, haven't gotten around to that yet but might have to do it for Cincinnati, someone there is bound to notice the lack of Bowties on the corners!

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,803 Posts
You nailed it Stlhotrod, I left the dealership in Atlanta with 4 center caps, first gas stop several hundred miles up the road and one had fallen off. Went on home to Maryland, got on-line, had sticker shock at $75 each for OEMs, ordered one anyway. Then ordered a set of 4 plain aftermarkets with no bowties, put those on, boxed up the originals. Intention was to switch them out at shows, haven't gotten around to that yet but might have to do it for Cincinnati, someone there is bound to notice the lack of Bowties on the corners!
If he does just tell David your saving them. I am not saying which David it will be. 😱😁

·
Slingshot Rules!
81,120 Posts

WOW . . . these OEM Chrome Caps are becoming "collectables."

After reading these posts I decided to check my garage . . . I found an entire set, each individually packaged in the original bubble wrap. Not certain but I believe they were part of "the deal" when I adopted The Doophus way back in 2005.

Maybe a SAFE to store them would be a better option since I have no use for them.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Just to keep the record straight, the one I paid $75 for was used, and satin not chrome. It did come bubble wrapped however. :)

·
Registered
2006 Redline Red
16 Posts
Sorry…hit reply too soon…here’s a pic of the chrome one. I just posted that I need a re-lace ENT cause the dealer broke several of the tabs taking it off fir a brake job. Believe this is original according to the interior. Hoping to find one to replace this one…Dave at [email protected]. Thanks…
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Wheel Plant
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Wheel Plant

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Redline Red …that was for Kofficer who needs both front and rear. I only have a rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts