Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Had Not Planned To Get Into The Business Of Making These....this First One Took 5 Weeks To Complete By A Friend Of Mine That Does Custom Chrome Work. The Process Takes Time As The Actual Plastic Cover Is Transformed To Metal. The First Process Tripple Plating In Cooper ,followed By Tripple Plating In Nickel And Then Chrome Plated And Polished Out. It Is Labor Intensive And Not Cheap. The Finished Cover Is Heavy As This Protects The Cover From Heat.

The Price Would Be $550 And This Is As Cheap As It Can Go. The Number Of People Interested Dictates This Lower Price But Time Would Be A Factor As We Figure If We Buy 3 Plastic Covers To Begin The Process And Have Them Completed As Your Cores Come In Would Give A Head Start.

Who Would Now Be Interested Considering The Price ???
The Response Will Help Me To Decide Wether To Go On With The Project.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Jim Prendergast said:
I Had Not Planned To Get Into The Business Of Making These....this First One Took 5 Weeks To Complete By A Friend Of Mine That Does Custom Chrome Work. The Process Takes Time As The Actual Plastic Cover Is Transformed To Metal. The First Process Tripple Plating In Cooper ,followed By Tripple Plating In Nickel And Then Chrome Plated And Polished Out. It Is Labor Intensive And Not Cheap. The Finished Cover Is Heavy As This Protects The Cover From Heat.

The Price Would Be $550 And This Is As Cheap As It Can Go. The Number Of People Interested Dictates This Lower Price But Time Would Be A Factor As We Figure If We Buy 3 Plastic Covers To Begin The Process And Have Them Completed As Your Cores Come In Would Give A Head Start.

Jim,

I'm there! $550 is worth every penny to have something no one else on the block has! (Just like the SSR itself!)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I would be in this spring too! I first want to get some of those cool looking slotted rotors in chrome for the brakes. Your price for all that work is well within range. I totally agree with Buffy! Count me in too! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Hey, Cruzned

I'm on the road today, but I can have some info on drilled/slotted rotors when I get back. There's a thread about slotted rotors - I was checking to see if anyone had purchased from this company. Check for that name - they're on EBay, and will sell directly as well. The product looked good,(they will color code the hubs for an extra $40/set), price was good ($240/set of 4), their feedback on EBay is 100% positive, but I know nothing more about the company. If you know of others, I'd be glad to hear about them. Sounds like a topic for a new AFTERMARKET Forum - I like that idea.

Ray

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Count me in

Jim Prendergast said:

Very cool Jim, I would be interested also!

R

·
0 Posts
Looks great and sounds great...let me know when things get rolling and I'm in!

R

·
0 Posts
Ooops...never mind...I think the '05 is different. The '05 engine cover is much smaller...have you modified the shape or size of your chrome cover?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
You put me on your top of the list

How do I send you the money?

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Jim Prendergast said:

Jim,
I know its been a while, but did you have any success in making a few of these? Are you still set up to make them?

·
Registered
416 Posts
If my SSR weren't silver -- and you also did the '05 covers -- I might be interested, but there's not enough contrast between the silver engine cover insert and the chromed cover.

This is also why we didn't bother with chrome wheels.

Beautiful work, though, and a very reasonable price for the amount of work involved.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Chroming an 05 cover

Just sent my 05 engine cover out for chroming. Should have back in two weeks. If I like it I will post the info on who is doing it. Price is lower than what I've seen so far.
Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts