Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know . . . I posted in the Parts threads but thought I'd try here too. OK all you guys who have opted for aftermarket wheels - who's got an OEM chrome center cap they are willing to part with? Seems my local Chevy dealer still doesnt know how to remove them without breaking them ! Not going back there again for tire/wheel servicing this has happened twice. There will not be third time ! Please help if you can. Thank you. Ralph

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,229 Posts
I know in your case the horse is out of the barn, but I ALWAYS remove my caps beforehand if there is any chance they'll have to remove a wheel. Better safe than sorry. I didn't check eBay, but usually caps come up on there from time to time. If I were you, I might just go ahead and get four cheaper aftermarket caps, install them and check around periodically for an oem wheel cap.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,845 Posts
I know in your case the horse is out of the barn, but I ALWAYS remove my caps if there is any chance they'll have to remove a wheel. Better safe than sorry. I didn't check eBay, but usually caps come up on there from time to time. If I were you, I might just go ahead and get four cheaper aftermarket caps, install them and check around periodically for an oem wheel cap.

Dave
is it the tabs that are broken. Do you have all the parts? If so PM me I have repaired a few.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Dave (Guzzi Guy) and Dave Rassmussen - thanks for the responses and advice. I might just have to go with aftermarket caps but didn't want to orphan three original caps quite yet. But - it does seem a bit difficult to find a "real one". In the meantime, I'll keep watching . . . Believe me I'll never take the R in anywhere there is a chance of breaking them again. (Same goes for the hood emblem). Thanks again. Ralph

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey Dave (Guzzi Guy) and Dave Rassmussen - thanks for the responses and advice. I might just have to go with aftermarket caps but didn't want to orphan three original caps quite yet. But - it does seem a bit difficult to find a "real one". In the meantime, I'll keep watching . . . Believe me I'll never take the R in anywhere there is a chance of breaking them again. (Same goes for the hood emblem). Thanks again. Ralph
Hey Ralph -

Couldn't tell if you needed Front or Rear. There are a couple of OEM Fronts on e-bay, a bit pricey - here is link to one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-SSR-...ash=item4b3b7778d4:g:5qAAAOSw3aNane3Y&vxp=mtr

Greg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Greg - thanks for the response. Yeah - I've been watching ebay for a true OEM cap and don't think I've seen one yet . . . Even the most expensive one listed at $625 looks to be a reproduction - plus the pic has been "doctored". My bowties are semi-recessed not "raised" like everything I'm seeing. I guess considering the situation I'm in I shouldn't be so picky, but . . . . Thanks again. Ralph

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Auggie Doggie - Think I found an OEM Chrome front cap by looking a little further. Thanks for the lead. Offering the dealership a single OEM at $124 or a set of blanks for less . . . We'll see what happens. Might end of with e orphans. Thanks again. Ralph:blur:

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,304 Posts
Be careful with ebay seller Rattlesnake wheel. Even though they are advertised and show OEM caps, they are not.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey River Rat - thanks for the heads up. Yeah - I've noticed what they are selling as new and used are not OEM caps. My local dealership thought they found one for me right away after I busted their chops for not even looking - then when they called and said they bought one I told them that Rattlesnake was not selling OEM parts. Of course, they were in a panic to cancel their order. Still looking - hopefully I'll find one or switch to "blanks". Thanks again. Ralph

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Often you can find an OEM one on E-bay.

They are quite expensive, but since the dealer is paying go for it. I doubt that they are much more than the Dealer book price.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
TxSSRRR...".......I’ve got the OEM Chrome front $125 shipped. Sent you a PM.
:surprise:
I thought via a review of EBAY and other sources, that the OEM "hub" cap was not worth more than about 35-45 dollars. I just had a front one (OEM) and shipped it off to another guy here and only charged about 45-50 (including shipping).:frown2:

Did I F up on this deal or what do I not understand about these caps and pricing.:|

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Moscooter.....you sent me that center cap and fog lights as well and I was surprised to get it as I thought it was a satin. I needed a satin cap for a spare satin rim I bought. I had sent you a question on your post and assumed it was satin but you didn’t say. Front and rear Chrome center caps go for $125 up if and when you can find one. I use to sell them for $45=65 a few years ago.

Dane

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oldxr - wouldn't you just know it? I just bought one on ebay for the same price. The dealership authorized the purchase for reimbursement. BUT - you could help out one of the other guys looking for the same item in the Parts thread. If I remember .. . his post was somewhere in the neighborhood of #1648. Take a look you might save him some grief too. Thanks for responding. Ralph

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Ralph thanks for the heads up. I just got this cap from Moscooter. It was included in my purchase from him!

Dane

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Ralph thanks for the heads up. I just got this cap from Moscooter. It was included in my purchase from him!

Dane
:|
Well, here was the ideal situation for me to use this damn "multi-quote" and someone told me how to do it and now I cannot recall. way too many options on how to respond to a post:frown2:

Anyway, you better have your (Santa Claus) suit on when/if you deal with the guy on the parts posts looking for a chrome cap............other wise, I'll be looking in the mail for my (share) of the profits.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Ash....I think you had your ??? ? suit on? The profit margin won’t be big enough to share after I deduct the $$$$ to you? How did you end up with one?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts