Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have experience with this product or know someone who does it?
http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirra_prodinfo.htm
There are a few other companies with similar products.

Looks very close to chrome but should be much cheaper and should satisfy alot of things that I want done at a lower price - engine cover, running boards, front trim, etc.........

:seeya

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Its very time consuming and hard to control. The parts must have no flaws or they will show. Base black, air dry 5 days, clear coat, dry 10 days to let all solvents degas.Buff the clear coat (the more shine the better) On buff surface no scuff Spray chrome in light coats just to get coverage (less is more) Wipe with micro cloth gently, never touch with skin (body oil) Dry 5 days top clear coat with quality clear this is when you will loose some chrome effect. Good luck, do a test panel, try different clears they react differently, try and use little or no solvents.
Kroozen, Fuzzy, want to add anything I missed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
chrome paint

For the price they get for the chome paint materials, time, and poor durability I would spend the money of having the plastic chromed. As Rebel mentioned it is a very slow process so you MUST HAVE A PERFECTLY CLEAN ENVIRONMENT! Kandy and graphics look great over the chrome paint, but the chrome paint doesn't play well with the masking. For the paint to looks its best the surface must be flawless and the more shine the better, which causes adhesion problems down the road.

Be sure to compare prices between companies.

good luck,
Kroozn

·
Registered
500 Posts
chrome paint

Goldtouch has a product that is water based. A freid of mine was all gung ho and went to florida for the classes and all. He came back very dissappointed.Very time consuming and way too trickey to apply.Metalforming is a much better way to go where a conductive base primer is used on non ferrous materials like plastic and then copper, nickel and chrome plating to follow.
This is also time consuming but you have real chrome when you are done.
I thik this spray applicated stuff needs more development and will be a fine alternative eventually.These web advertizements make it sound like any joe can pick up a spry gun and do a professional job.
Sorry guys, it is too good to be true.

·
Registered
340 Posts
kroozn said:
For the price they get for the chome paint materials, time, and poor durability I would spend the money of having the plastic chromed. As Rebel mentioned it is a very slow process so you MUST HAVE A PERFECTLY CLEAN ENVIRONMENT! Kandy and graphics look great over the chrome paint, but the chrome paint doesn't play well with the masking. For the paint to looks its best the surface must be flawless and the more shine the better, which causes adhesion problems down the road.

Be sure to compare prices between companies.

good luck,
Kroozn

Where can you get plastic chrome plated ? A few places on the web say they can do it till you confront them & than they all back off. :ssr

·
Registered
321 Posts
My paint guy attempted to use the $400 a quart chrome paint... Looks great until you put clear on it, then it dulls!!! I don't know what mfg. he used but it sucked!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts