Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On E-Bay there is a Rear Chrome Plate Frame.$169.00 Has anyone purchased one of these. I think I want one. But seems a little to high priced. I would like to here from someone that knows something about these. Or any other sites that have the chrome.
Thanks, Mason :rolleyes:

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,208 Posts
Frame

Don't know which one you're looking at on E-bay, but I just received a catalog from Burston Marketing (licensed by GM) with all the items the have for the SSR. They list a high polished stainless frame with the SSR logo at the bottom.

Part #ssh8658, cost $34.95

They do have a web site if you want to check it out?
burston.com

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Mason57 said:
On E-Bay there is a Rear Chrome Plate Frame.$169.00 Has anyone purchased one of these. I think I want one. But seems a little to high priced. I would like to here from someone that knows something about these. Or any other sites that have the chrome.
Thanks, Mason :rolleyes:
Several people have bought them and liked them. Very heavy material.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Wildcat,
I just went and put a chunk of wood in the wood stove. Checked the outside temp. 8 degrees.

·
5,208 Posts
here's the one in the catalog

Couldn't navigate the Burston web site so I scanned the back page of the catalog.

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Does the MKB Plate Frame stop the back-up light shake? I noticed it while following another SSR ar night with my headlights reflecting off them. I looked at my own truck later and noticed how the back-up lights are mounted. They are mounted off the center of the plate area and have absolutely no support on the outside edges. If the MKB frame bolts on and sanwiches the whole rear area, it would seem that it should firm up the lights.

Any experience here? I'd like to know, before I drop the $ on the MKB unit.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Mike: It's pretty tough to answer your question, as we are "usually" INSIDE the SSR when driving it, not behind it looking at the license plate frame!

However, the plate does indeed bolt down over the backup lights, so it must surely help, if not entirely solve, the problem.

It is worth getting simply because the factory piece is such a piece of crap. The MKB solution is WAY nicer and worth the high price.

There MAY be other solutions out there, as the license plate and backup light assembly on the SSR is the same one used on the Corvettes. So, if anyone makes a solution for the Corvettes, it will likely work for us as well.

Now for REALLY disgusting, look at that FRONT license plate assembly. Sick, and on a vehicle in the SSR price range, unacceptable.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called Gene at MKB Customs. I ordered the Frame with out the MKB Logo on it. I asked him about a front Frame. He said they were working on that. Watch there web site.

·
5,208 Posts
Sandwiching

Mike

The mkb one is very similar to the one on my SSR except for patern variation over back up light area.

It does sandwich the lights between the Aluminum and the rear facia, useing the existing screw holes behind the factory plastic license plate frame.

Here's a shot of mine. Hand made in my shop.

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Thanks Guys

Fuzzy - Gorgeous...... Your truck is spectacular and the plate frame is fitting. How did you fasten it to the rear? I suspect you put something forward through the area and fasteners on the inside, behind the fascia. I'm inspired to go find something that looks as good.

Jim - You're right about being on the inside. I'm conscious of how my truck is perceived by others and this is an opportunity to correct a small flaw. Kinda like the StabiliSSR hardware for the front fascia that stopped the lights from bouncing. I'll go look for what fits the vette and see if something is applicable here. It's gotta have a lot of class and be unique.

Arizona does not require front plates and I'm glad of it. I have not seen the stock front plate hardware, but (from your reference) I can imagine that it must have come from the Cavalier product line somewhere...... Hopefully MKB will offer a solution.

Regards guys, and thanks.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Nice piece, Fuzzy

Sure do make me jealous, though - between the paint work, underhood goodies, and plate frame, it's enough to make us underachievers feel inadequate. :lol

Ray

1 - 20 of 27 Posts