Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is to the people that have installed the Chrome corrugated radiator hoses. When you install them did you put silicone between the rubber and the ribbed metal hose. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
I've used them twice on a show quality GMC Sonoma extended cab stepside in the early 2000s. First time I bought an inexpensive stainless steel knock off, and couldn't stop them from oozing coolant. Threw them away, went back to the stock hoses.

Second time, I paid the extra money for name brand product. Couldn't stop them from oozing coolant, so threw them away and went back to the stock hoses.

Decided not to tempt fate a third time, and have never tried them on the SSR. I see them occasionally at car shows, and they seem to work OK - unless the owners are putting up with issues so they can gain the bling.

I think the issue is that they use rubber inserts, which have to seal against the housings AND the corrugated hoses, so twice the opportunities for a leak under pressure.

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
I believe Dicktator has them on his truck and LITEMUP on his T-bucket.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
This question is to the people that have installed the Chrome corrugated radiator hoses. When you install them did you put silicone between the rubber and the ribbed metal hose. Thanks
:|

Have not used them on my SSR. But had them on my '39 LT-1 Chevy streetrod for many years.

I had occassional over heating problems and those chrome corrugated hose deals could be problematic. Getting too hot would cause one or another end to blow off.

Got beyond that problem for the most part in last several yrs with it. I used Super Glue on those rubber ends and kept a spare set with me (super glue too) at all times on the road. Also, I made sure to periodically re-tighten those hose clamp deals that ride under the hose ends. They will work loose and you gotta snug up back down once in a while.:wink2:

Attachments

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
OK, it appears he changed it, I wonder if he had trouble with the first set-up leaking?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts