Chevy SSR Forum banner

Chrome tips turning black inside???

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  dave rasmussen 
#1 ·
Cleaned the inside of my chrome tips REALLY well the other day, approx 2 weeks ago. Have driven a few times and now they're black on the inside again! Is this any indication of any issues?
HELP!
Thanks, Bob

#2 ·
Cleaned the inside of my chrome tips REALLY well the other day, approx 2 weeks ago. Have driven a few times and now they're black on the inside again! Is this any indication of any issues?
HELP!.
Thanks, Bob
Mine had black soot on the inside for years, but it stopped after I had a performance tune installed. I don't think it's a problem more of a annoyance.

Reactions: UtahTransplant
#8 ·
At home in Canada I run gasoline that has no alcohol. The exhaust tips don’t turn black. Here in Arizona all the fuel has 10% alcohol and my exhaust tips do turn black and I clean them and polish with a chrome polish. Even with a well tuned engine you will get the black deposit with the fuel that has alcohol added. Also, the fuel I use at home is 94 octane!! Helps with my supercharger!

#9 · (Edited)
Do you have a 6.0. If any mods were done to engine. Read the Thread" Oil Consumption". I'm chasing the same problem after different air intake, port and polished throttle body, MagnaFlow Muffler, and Chrome Valve Covers. Did not have any oil consumption, smoke at tailpipe and black soot at tailpipes. Have all of these now. Now waiting for Super tune from Jeremy.

#10 ·
Mine has always had some soot deposits, and I got tired of cleaning them. I sprayed the insides with hi-temp flat black paint, I like the contrast. Doesn't use any oil runs fine at 76,000 miles. Has had a professional tune, but that was after the spray job. Again this is a personal preference.

#12 ·
Many will disagree with me, Bob . . .

However, after annoying engine issues with The Bummer (Jeep CJ-7) I am convinced there is a difference with Gasoline Brands. After trying a few, Shell Premium definitely made a huge improvement and has been the only fuel used for years.

Seems a little "out there" but on the next fill-up, try a different brand and see what happens.

Good Luck.

#13 ·
My chrome tips also has the black build up....it's been tuned...

My friend that has the 67 Nova...had his tips powdered coated white on the inside...he runs racing fuel in both of his show cars...(some folks love the smell of racing fuel)

Picture of his white tips..posted..he wipes the black build up off the white tips

Attachments

#15 ·
Mine has always left sooty deposits, but they weren't really noticeable until I installed Mike in AZ's true dual exhaust system. Those polished 5" tips deserve to be clean at all times. A quick wipe with some window cleaner gets them sparkling on the inside again.

#16 ·
Not to worry about the exhaust tips getting black from the exhaust coming out. A little bit of windex or wax and all Is well. Can you imagine if you ate twenty pounds of exlax, The exhaust coming out, You would be well on your way to the moon, Now that Is something to worry about???????????????? YIKES, Captain Jack and Rum at It again

#20 ·
If it's really baked in, try using #0000 steel wool with some good soapy lubricant. Scrub it well but use common sense, don't over do it. ;)

Sometimes when it's really bad I'll use a little metal polish while it's soapy wet in combination with the 0000 steel wool and it can help a bit more.

Josh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.