Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this thing. I have followed the reccomendations on the Zaino products and they are great. After one day of driving there is a fair amount of dust collectected, mainly on the fenders. I don't want to wash it everyday but it sure looks great when its all shiny.

My question is after a search on the net I keep finding these California dust mops and water blades for cars. Has anyone used these and are they worth buying?

Any comments or input appreciated. Have to go out for awhile but will check when I return.

Thanx

D

·
0 Posts
I use the California blade all the time. It's great on relatively flat services for removing large amounts of water. When I'm finished with the blade, then I use a chamois to finish drying. I haven't done this on my SSR yet but on my black Z06 Corvette, I've found that the best way to get it completely dry is to use a leaf blower to get water out of the mirrors, seals, tail light and all of the other places where water lay until you drive and get those streaks.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Use your Zaino Z6 on a synthetic cloth (available at Wally World) to pick up the dust. Not only removes it but adds more of the great stuff (or snake oil, as one buddy puts it.) Best chamois to use is the synthetic "Absorber" at $9 - stays damp and is kept in a plastic tube (also available at W W in a red and yellow, choice of many, that match the Redline and Slingshot, if you are into that sort of thing!) My Redline has a great base of Zaino on it and last night I stopped at a car wash on the way home and only used rinse to remove all the bugs. They don't stick well to Zaino; but I certainly do!

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
For just carrying around in the back and using on the fly, the California dust mops work really well. Just be careful not to run it across a freshly dead critter. Tends to move the goo around.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i used the zaino car wash today and was amazed at the shine. this was after a regular wash with dawn. when i was drying it looked like a mirror reflection and this was from just washing.....

i have the starter kit and have read the darn directions many times and still don't get it.

do you simply follow the numbers?

rick

S

·
0 Posts
Just did the Zanio thing today on the SSR, all told it took about 6 hours, the directions are a bit confusing for first timers so I started on my wife’s SLK and the Vette yesterday to get the hang of it, besides there is allot less surface area on those than the SSR.
Even tough mine is just over a week old there was allot of crap on the paint, the clay bar worked wonders, just be sure to keep the clay clean, I had just a small piece of gunk stuck in the clay that I did not notice and it scratched the top of one of the front fenders. 2 coats of number 5 on the scratch and it disappeared.
The SLK looks better than it did when we drove it off the showroom floor, 4 years ago. The Vette looks great too, it had some sizable rock chips from a Corvette tour a few years ago, during one stretch of wide open freeway at 155mph the car in front of me through some loose gravel and it nailed my front end real good, now only the real large ones are left and all the minor surface scratches from years of driving are completely gone this stuff is unbelievable!!! Why this stuff is not more widely advertised is a mystery to me, sure it's spendy but worth every dime.
I only have two questions:
1. How many coats of #2 do you recommend on daily drivers?
2. How long does the shine last before it needs a fresh coat?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Two coats should be enough for daily drivers in my opinion, but you'll get as many answers here are there are people! Shine longevity depends on several factors. How much time it spends in the garage is probably the main one. Putting it through commercial washers will eat it fairly quickly. Once I did a test on my pickup and by the eighth trip through I could tell it was failing. Normal wax lasts 2 or 3 trips. I had a friend that went a whole year with a black Dodge on one Zaino application. The reason that he was able to do this was because he always washed it by hand with the Zaino car wash. I really believe in that wash. It will make a car look better when the car has no Zaino polish on it! How often you Z6 will make a big difference also. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Definitely use the Zaino tire and rubber product on the dash. Ideally the Z6 should be used after each washing and any time in between for freshening and removal of bugs, etc.
When we go to a cruise or show, the first thing we do when we get there is drag out the Z6 and hit the front at least.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to get back, I took the advice of Zainossr and picked up the microfiber cloth and Adsorber from wally world. Used my compressor to blow water out of the ceams and such. This combo worked great. Rinsed, dried with adsorber, blow dry, then Z6 with the microfiber. What a shine!!!! Already had 4 coats of Zaino so really not much work.

Thanks again everybody.

drbob

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
What type of tool is everyone using to clean out the seam around the truck? and the Headlights,tailights etc....? I was thinking about buying a babies toothbrush becuase they are really soft.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Went to wally world and picked up the handy little rag Zainossr was talking about and found a handy little tool for cleaning the crevice/seam on the SSR, also picked up one for the vents inside. I am not sure if the dealer is going to have to paint alot when I drop it off tomorrow so I will be starting over with my Zaino when I get my baby back.... Do I wash with Dawn again on the area that they repaint? And I wonder how long I need to wait?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Machell, I have actually Zainoed a vehicle three days after the paint job. Now I wouldn't recommend that you do it that soon, but you don't have to wait long. I'd give it at least a week. Yes, use the Dawn on that area and completely do the Zaino process on the area washed. Ask them which panels have the new paint; then you can do only those. I would also tell them that I knew every nick and scratch on the car too. Just for fun - write down the mileage when you carry it in or will they do that?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Oh belive me I will write it down and take notice of everything, I know every inch of my ride. I told Juan (my husband) that I may have to pop in several times just to check up on it. They have been really nice about it all, they told me they would detail it like nobodys business but I have news for them. It is my business. I wonder should I take my Zaino with me. LOL I just hope I don't cry when I have to leave it..... :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts