Chevy SSR Forum banner

Cleaning leather seats

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Stepchild 
#1 ·
The leather seats in my, new to me, “R” need cleaning. Any thoughts on products and procedures?

Jerry Wyatt

#4 ·
Any available leather cleaner will work. They are neutral ph and mild detergents.
Most all automotive leather is dyed and coated for durability. The coating prevents any leather conditioners from penetrating into the actual leather base. On older leather that has started to wear and crack the conditioners will help as they will work into the leather through the worn and cracked coated surface.
Using conditioner on new or good shape leather does very little. Keeping the leather clean and limiting exposure to sun and UV is the best way to maintain it.

#5 · (Edited)
Lots of Leather care and cleaning products out there, some are very good others are not so good. I suggest that you stay away from the the "big" name products that you find at most auto parts stores. Plenty of other much better products out there. Check out auto care sites like Auto Geek, Griot's Garage or do a search for auto leather care products. The main thing with leather is to make sure it does not dry out. When it gets really dry it will crack. Try to keep the interior from getting to much sun. Park the SSR in the shade whenever possible at a car show, etc.... If stored outside try to keep a all weather cover on it. Do not use harsh cleaners on it, Hope this helps.

#7 ·
I've used soap and hot water and have livened up my leather for more than 20 years. Cost $0.00 a little dish soap hot water and a good cloth.... wash em down and let em dry...

#9 ·
Try Zaino Z10 Leather conditioner. Been one of my favorites for years and years. Clean the leather well first then rub the Z10 in using a MF towel. It has a very nice leather fragrance so where gloves unless you want your hands to smell that way for the next day.

Josh

#10 ·
Wolfgang cleaner then their conditioner is the best I've found in 30 years of trying products. Got it from Autogeek.com and it leaves the leather nice and soft. I've used it on brand new car seats, years old car seats and also on leather furniture and motorcycle jackets and gloves. If you read about leather care on Autogeek they will tell you that leather needs to be moisturized and that soap and water will dry it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.