Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Premium Member
06 S/C Pac Blue & 05 Flame 6 Speed
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got rid of the Magnavolt and a bunch of crappy wiring on the SC blue truck... Upgraded the fuel pump, fuse box repair, lot of rerouting and getting it back to the way it should have been done from the get go... A lot of oh :poop: & WTF is this moments through the whole process... Big shout out to @TXNSSR for his patience and perseverance.

Grille Blue Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Car

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Blue

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Circuit component Electronic engineering Gas Hardware programmer Electronic component

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Circuit component Electricity Gas

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Nice and stock looking.... Thank You Robert.

· Premium Member
06 S/C Pac Blue & 05 Flame 6 Speed
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suggest checking on Simple Engineering heater hoses to clean up engine compartment.
Bob
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Phase 3 or 4 of the overhaul… New water pump (in the big box), new alternator and bracket, new reservoir tanks and all new hoses.

· Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,357 Posts
@Curbsssr , pardon the ignorance, but what is the bottle of red fluid on the right front of the engine compartment right in front of the surge tank? Otherwise, superlative work, from caterpillar to butterfly!

· Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,881 Posts
Did Robert remove the flux capacitor? I hear it was an option on some SSR models. :sneaky:
This was one of my favorite discoveries. :oops: We could “hear” the installer, “Nope, not this wire. Ok let’s try this one, and add a loop to make sure we’ve got a good connection”:LOL:
Circuit component Electrical wiring Computer hardware Electronic component Hardware programmer

What a mess. What was the purpose of the "magnavolt"?
I assume pic#8 is 'leftover' wiring?
The Magnavolt was an earlier generation mechanism to overdrive the fuel pump when on boost as the stock SSR fuel pump doesn't supply enough fuel under boost conditions. The subsequent generation mechanism supplied was a BoostAPump, which had the same function. Both are the "achilles heal" of supercharged systems. Due to a catastrophic BoostAPump failure on Elsie, I began building the fuel pumps (and wire harness with relay box) for high performance SSRs which obviates the need for either the Magnavolt or BoostAPump on the supercharged applications. This makes for a simpler and more robust system. The fuel pumps are good for over 750HP. My fuel pump cured an issue on one R, and the owner was able to get another 30+HP and 50 ft/lbs of torque on the dyno, netting close to 650HP and 650HP ft/lbs torque when the belts began to slip.

This picture made me very happy to do the work. The gray wire is coming from the Magnavolt to the fuel pump, and it was getting a little hot. Luckily Curb's R literally came with a box of new Magnavolts, as he went through 2 or 3 already.
Circuit component Data transfer cable Networking cables Cable Electronic component

I've seen and been told of wiring being melted down by the fuel pump.

· Premium Member
1,881 Posts
@Curbsssr , pardon the ignorance, but what is the bottle of red fluid on the right front of the engine compartment right in front of the surge tank? Otherwise, superlative work, from caterpillar to butterfly!
The "extra" tank is part of the supercharger intercooler and heat exchanger fluid system. The Magnuson superchargers have a completely separate cooling system for the supercharger. A fluid to air heat exchanger is mounted in front of the the A/C condenser above the power steering heat exchanger.

· Premium Member
1,881 Posts
That's @TXNSSR gas tank transporter.... It is knarly though, I think he said it has ceramic wheels or bearings.
Very true. People that have seen my posts about replacing fuel pumps should recognize it. The SSR gas tank is almost 5ft long, so the long board comes in handy.

Dude. What a knarly board man.
Thanks dude. (y) One of my 4, but the one I ride most these days. We just tore down the 24' half pipe we built as our son hadn't used it in 3-4yrs. :oops:

· Premium Member
6,167 Posts
A
Very true. People that have seen my posts about replacing fuel pumps should recognize it. The SSR gas tank is almost 5ft long, so the long board comes in handy.

Thanks dude. (y) One of my 4, but the one I ride most these days. We just tore down the 24' half pipe we built as our son hadn't used it in 3-4yrs. :oops:
Are those Boa wheels on there?

· Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Are those Boa wheels on there?
No I kicked it old school, they’re 75mm OJ IIIs with ceramic bearings. It’s smooth on our rough concrete streets and rolls.

Back to the topic of the thread…
It was a pleasure working with Larry, seeing the completed project and going for the test ride. I can’t wait til we tackle the next project.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts