Chevy SSR Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Premium Member
06 S/C Pac Blue & 05 Flame 6 Speed
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How hard was it to get the gas tank out
Pulling the filler hose off the tank is a bit of a challenge. After all the gas and vent lines are removed it becomes a little bit of a wrestling match to tilt the tank towards the passenger side to disconnect two electrical leads on top of the tank... There's a diagonal brace on the frame that the front drivers side of the tank sits on that makes it interesting... Other than those few items it's not bad if you say it fast... Floor jack and a skate board are essential tools needed. 馃お ... @TXNSSR has done it by himself a couple of times (he's an animal) but definitely another body really helps out.

Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
How hard was it to get the gas tank out
Its not too bad. Removing the rubber host to the filler neck is the hard part.
Removal is:
  • Filler neck
  • Rear vent line & electrical connector
  • Front supply & return lines
  • Place a jack under it
  • Remove two strap bolts
  • Slide back and rotate inner corner down past the drive shaft
  • Lower partially, then disconnect the pressure & pump/fuel levell connector
  • Then lower all the way down

- Roll it out and clean it, then replace fuel pump

Done it 4-5x on jackstands.

Registered
2006 ssr
Its not too bad. Removing the rubber host to the filler neck is the hard part.
Removal is:
  • Filler neck
  • Rear vent line & electrical connector
  • Front supply & return lines
  • Place a jack under it
  • Remove two strap bolts
  • Slide back and rotate inner corner down past the drive shaft
  • Lower partially, then disconnect the pressure & pump/fuel levell connector
  • Then lower all the way down

- Roll it out and clean it, then replace fuel pump

Done it 4-5x on jackstands.
Thank you for the tips for gas tank removal my fuel pump is giving me problems what's the best pump for replacement it never ends

Premium Member
Thank you for the tips for gas tank removal my fuel pump is giving me problems what's the best pump for replacement it never ends
Big tip - Remove both hose clamps from the rubber coupler hose between the filler neck and the tank. Then use a radiator hose removal tool to pry it off the neck a little and spray a little silicone under the hose. Then start working it over the ridges.

鈥淏est fuel pump鈥 on a stock engine is really hard to say. It鈥檚 sort of like asking about favorite wax or tires. The prices of the brands are all over the map from -$70 to $300 depending on he brand and where you buy it. Some folks stay 鈥渂rand loyal鈥, others switch to more classic names and others run whatever the mechanic puts in.

If we are talking about superchargered or high horsepower application then it is easy, mine.:)

Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
Look at RockAuto's web site. Six different pumps are listed as available in the daily driver catagory. Stay away from the economy pumps and maybe the cheapest in the daily driver, probably Chinese made. Also I would look at the pic and make sure to get one that comes with the level sender, thus excluding the GM. I believe the Delphi would be an excellent choice, probably the exact same part as GM, but with the sender. Possibly the US Motor Works as well to save $50, it too looks like the same piece, but I've no experience with that vendor. We used a lot of Delphi pumps once they became available through WorldPac, and I do not remember having a single issue.

Registered
2006 ssr
Got rid of the Magnavolt and a bunch of crappy wiring on the SC blue truck... Upgraded the fuel pump, fuse box repair, lot of rerouting and getting it back to the way it should have been done from the get go... A lot of oh :poop: & WTF is this moments through the whole process... Big shout out to @TXNSSR for his patience and perseverance.

View attachment 626400
View attachment 626401
View attachment 626402
View attachment 626403
View attachment 626404
View attachment 626405
View attachment 626406
View attachment 626407
View attachment 626408

Nice and stock looking.... Thank You Robert.
Is that a XLR v in the back ground

Premium Member
I have a 07 not a v
Nice. The XLR V is @Parnelli 鈥檚 ride. I鈥檝e done a few upgrades, and it flat rocks. It can be smooth and fast or down right loud and rowdy with the Magnaflow exhaust. The supercharger and variable DOHC setup are a slick combination.

Supporting SSR Hobbyist
Nice. The XLR V is @Parnelli 鈥檚 ride. I鈥檝e done a few upgrades, and it flat rocks. It can be smooth and fast or down right loud and rowdy with the Magnaflow exhaust. The supercharger and variable DOHC setup are a slick combination.
And she looks pretty darned happy behind the wheel..........

Premium Member
Was this a v from the get go or after market have you had any trouble with the top 馃帺
It is a factory V. Had some initial top/trunk trouble at the time of purchase. I told them to take it to a Cadillac dealer to have the RDM relearn the top, which they did and it was all good. Cadillac had a program to certify dealerships on top operations and service. I could tell someone had an issue as the top plug was missing and pump cover was in wrong. Subsequent to purchase I鈥檝e changed the oil which really helped it work faster and I鈥檝e interrogated the sensors with my Tech 2.

@Corvette Steve : Start a conversation with me, and I鈥檒l provide you my phone number, if you鈥檇 like to chat about your V or R.

For others that may read this and get the idea of snagging an RDM or other top components from the XLR鈥 The XLR RDM and how it figures out where the top is at is very different from the SSR. The SSR uses hall effect sensors to determine position, and the XLR uses resistance measurements. Further the salvage yards know the XLRs are more rare than the SSRs and have priced the unique parts 鈥渁ppropriately鈥.

@Curbsssr - Sorry for pulling this thread onto other topics. It鈥檚 been fun and rewarding getting Baby Blew into fighting shape.

Premium Member
06 S/C Pac Blue & 05 Flame 6 Speed
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
@Curbsssr - Sorry for pulling this thread onto other topics. It鈥檚 been fun and rewarding getting Baby Blew into fighting shape.
[/QUOTE]

No problems, I enjoyed reading the comments... She keeps getting closer and closer... Appreciate ya.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts