Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Alfa Romeo 156 (1997) climate control Module on EBay for $15 plus $14 shipping from Lithuania.
It arrived last week. It has a Delco part number on the back made in Mexico! It has a few different symbols on the knobs and the knob faces are black instead of grey. The SSR trim rings snap on and work properly.
I plugged it into my truck and reset it and it works perfectly just like the SSR module.
The seller said they had more but I can not get a response now but will keep trying.
I'll keep this as a spare in case anyone needs a replacement and don't mind the black button faces.
This is from a 1997 Alfa Romeo 156. 1997 - 2007 are the same so if you can find any they are much cheaper than the SSR modules.
Camera lens Camera accessory Gas Auto part Cameras & optics

Font Gas Electric blue Number Electronics accessory

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,722 Posts
I think you scored pretty good on that one, most of them sell for around $50 US shipped. Part number is 16238079, I can see your seller is fairly new at the game so he might have lost a little on shipping as most of the shippers from that country are charging double what your paid.

EBay search for 16238079

But, regardless of price, thanks for taking one for the team and proving once and for all that it does work, I thought someone tried it before and something was not correct but as long as you currently see no problems then all is good!!!!!

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo
Billet letters for tailgate and under hood

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,074 Posts
What is the piece below and slight right of the first knob for heat or AC? Is that going to fit in the dash?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Thanks @Autoprof that is what has me wondering. The one @Texasbaehr has it looks like that part is in front of the face. The one your picture shows it looks like that piece is behind the face. Wondering if that could be an issue? He said he plugged it in but does not say he mounted it with the trim on. Just wondering here.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thing attached snaps right out , has a separate connector and looks to be some kind of sensor which is not needed on the SSR

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks @Autoprof that is what has me wondering. The one @Texasbaehr has it looks like that part is in front of the face. The one your picture shows it looks like that piece is behind the face. Wondering if that could be an issue? He said he plugged it in but does not say he mounted it with the trim on. Just wondering here.
The unit is mechanically and dimensionally identical. The SSR trim knobs fit perfectly. The unit came with black trim knobs which pop right off like the SSR trim. Since all functions I tried worked after I plugged it in and reset it I have to assume the electronics are also identical. I have two sets of satin trim knobs, I’ll pop them on later and post a picture.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not removed one. But here is a picture from one on ebay.
View attachment 597642
The black thing on the SSR module is just hollow plastic, I think its just a locating pin. The one on the Alfa is a Sensor which may have been for auto climate control since the temp dial has an "auto" label on it.

Reactions: Autoprof

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
The thing attached snaps right out , has a separate connector and looks to be some kind of sensor which is not needed on the SSR
Thanks for the update. I was just wondering if it got in the way. This is great to know they work and offer another solution for parts. Thank you for the effort to go though all the trouble.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the update. I was just wondering if it got in the way. This is great to know they work and offer another solution for parts. Thank you for the effort to go though all the trouble.
unfortunately the Delco Part Number on the module comes up empty!

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,722 Posts
The black thing on the SSR module is just hollow plastic, I think its just a locating pin. The one on the Alfa is a Sensor which may have been for auto climate control since the temp dial has an "auto" label on it.
Curious about the auto climate setting, the SSR has a 1-5 fan setting with no auto selection, the Alfa has 1, Auto, 2-4. What happens when you select Auto when this unit is installed in the R? Does it act like fan 1? Then 2 is the same, more output?

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All 5 speeds and recirc worked. The auto must be a separate module triggered by the second position on the Alfa. I think the other thing is a temp sensor.

·
SSR Believer
2,638 Posts
If the Alpha Romeo climate control module ends up being a good replacement, it could be made to look OEM with these decals.

I haven't seen them in person, but I believe some folks here have said that they used them and that they looked good.

Font Automotive tire Circle Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

·
SSR Believer
2,638 Posts
Looks like Dicktator has something similar as well. Not sure of the cost...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts