Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, question I've read all the discussions about keeping the clutch fluid clean and in all the photos it always looks like brake fluid I maintain my clutch using the recommended automatic transmission fluid that are SSR manuals dictate. Are there pros and cons. Just one of those things that struck me on today while I was doing it in my fluid is always nice and red

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Hey guys, question I've read all the discussions about keeping the clutch fluid clean and in all the photos it always looks like brake fluid I maintain my clutch using the recommended automatic transmission fluid that are SSR manuals dictate. Are there pros and cons. Just one of those things that struck me on today while I was doing it in my fluid is always nice and red
"

" I maintain my clutch using the recommended automatic transmission fluid that are SSR manuals dictate. ":surprise::surprise::surprise:

I'm thinkin' and hopin' maybe you're setting up for an April Fools joke.:|

ATF for the automatic transmission and DOT 3 brake fluid are two different things (fluids). Are you really trying to say you have dumped ATF into the hydraulic clutch master cylinder reservoir.???:nerd:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,496 Posts
NO, NO, NO-------The 2nd picture shows AC part #12345347, DOT-3 Brake Fluid next to "Hydraulic Clutch System"

Nick

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
NO, NO, NO-------The 2nd picture shows AC part #12345347, DOT-3 Brake Fluid next to "Hydraulic Clutch System"

Nick
"

" I maintain my clutch using the recommended automatic transmission fluid that are SSR manuals dictate. ":surprise::surprise::surprise:

I'm thinkin' and hopin' maybe you're setting up for an April Fools joke.:|

ATF for the automatic transmission and DOT 3 brake fluid are two different things (fluids). Are you really trying to say you have dumped ATF into the hydraulic clutch master cylinder reservoir.???:nerd:

flame suit on
is there a dunb a** of the year award around here
thats what came with the car and ive only topped off once.
i knew something wasnt right and the owner sent me that picture.
and it always struck me odd when i saw the other posts.
so today i asked

i have just gone through 3 bottles of brake fluid pumping clutch and flushing.
went from red to pink in one bottle ( looked like oil and vinegar the way they separated) and clear after another bottle. did the 3rd just in case

Dumb A**
Bennyb

·
Another "Blues Brother"
356 Posts
The high pressure hydraulic line to the clutch runs really close to the exhaust manifold, when the 6 speed was first introduced several were having issues with the fluid overheating and failing. When I swapped my clutch to the corvette clutch in 2009 I wrapped the high pressure line with an exhaust wrap, then a layer of a heat shield material before re-installation. Now, whenever I do an oil change, about twice a year, I suck the reservoir dry with a turkey baster and replace it with new DOT 3 brake fluid. The old fluid is darker than the new fluid I put in, i assume because of the heat. I've never had a problem with the fluid overheating/boiling and the clutch failing.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
The high pressure hydraulic line to the clutch runs really close to the exhaust manifold, when the 6 speed was first introduced several were having issues with the fluid overheating and failing. When I swapped my clutch to the corvette clutch in 2009 I wrapped the high pressure line with an exhaust wrap, then a layer of a heat shield material before re-installation. Now, whenever I do an oil change, about twice a year, I suck the reservoir dry with a turkey baster and replace it with new DOT 3 brake fluid. The old fluid is darker than the new fluid I put in, i assume because of the heat. I've never had a problem with the fluid overheating/boiling and the clutch failing.
:|:|

You should just maybe review some posts that speak of (clutch dust)...which can/does migrate beyond the seals and gets up into the reservoir. Some of this theory comes from Corvette Forum sites. I myself.......found this to be somewhat bizarre. But take a look and maybe it is a factor in your "darker/older" fluid.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Henry Ford fought hard to keep manual brakes. Chevrolet even bragged about their manual brakes and used them longer than ford????........A long time until they changed the clutch to fluid. I guess the new engineers were not smart enough to use RODS & such.......O.K.........I know it was easier to route fluid lines.....Well you can make me us it but you can't make me like it?!.......or the cost of repair.

my 2 cents..............Birdmans I think I'll go to u-tube and watch the 1936 Chevrolet assembly line?

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Yeah right, and those mechanical brakes (if everything was adjusted and working), might stop that 2000 lb car, from 40 mph, in 200 feet. Get real. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Henry Ford fought hard to keep manual brakes. Chevrolet even bragged about their manual brakes and used them longer than ford????........A long time until they changed the clutch to fluid. I guess the new engineers were not smart enough to use RODS & such.......O.K.........I know it was easier to route fluid lines.....Well you can make me us it but you can't make me like it?!.......or the cost of repair.

my 2 cents..............Birdmans I think I'll go to u-tube and watch the 1936 Chevrolet assembly line?
Chrysler was way ahead of the curve on this issue. They first came out with hydraulic brakes in 1924. They also used 2 wheel cylinders per wheel for added safety in case of leaks or seal failure. It took Chevrolet and Ford a long time to catch up.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
:|:|

You should just maybe review some posts that speak of (clutch dust)...which can/does migrate beyond the seals and gets up into the reservoir. Some of this theory comes from Corvette Forum sites. I myself.......found this to be somewhat bizarre. But take a look and maybe it is a factor in your "darker/older" fluid.:wink2:
Clutch dust can and will migrate into the fluid and up into the clutch master cylinder. I have dealt with this for years on the new GTO's. The slave seal is only a liquid seal without a dust seal/cover. If I am remembering correctly on the GTO forum I am on, someone had some fluid tested and found clutch material in the fluid.

Just a little info, there are more GTO's with manual trans then there are SSR's made total.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Motorcycles don't weigh 5,000 pounds, now do they. Mechanical brakes are a joke, Fred Flintstone and Wylie Coyote on their worst day.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Motorcycles don't weigh 5,000 pounds, now do they. Mechanical brakes are a joke, Fred Flintstone and Wylie Coyote on their worst day.
:frown2:
For sure, I've rolled through an intersection in an old Model A while stomping as hard as I could on those worthless brakes.:surprise:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts