Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I just passed 600 miles on my 05 and wouned her up to 6000 rpm and quick shifted for some fun. Upon releasing the clutch pedal it failed to come off the floor till I quickly tapped again to release it! Kind of scary! Anybody else experience this? :confused :rolleyes: :mad :seeya Fred
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
haven't had that happen - but i haven't had a chance to drive mine much yet :-( (stop already rain!!)

i DID have the following happen the night i bought it though:
i was driving down in 2nd gear about 10 mph, and all of a sudden the accelerator wasn't giving any gas to the engine. i pumped it and pumped it, and regardless of whether i was in gear or in neutral, the engine did not rev in the slightest. it was as if the fuel pump had just quit on me? I killed the engine, and turned it back on and everything was fine. gave me a scare for a minute though.

-Wes
 

·
Enjoying life as it comes
Joined
·
5,210 Posts
Wes,
Had this happen to my 2002 ext cab GMC. Went to take off from the house after ashort warm up period, and when I put it in gear no gas pedal. Had to shut it off and restart. Ta dah, it was miraculously fixed. Haven had it happen again since (25,000 miles or so)
I did have one instance in my 03 where I was coming down an on ramp to the highway, kicked it into passing gear and had only engine response (engine reved up to about 45-4700 r's) ,but no forward motion. Had to release the pedal and press it again, but a little slower this time and all was well. Had the dealership check the trans on the computer which of course found no faults.Haven't had any recuring problems since then, no matter how hard it's driven.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Torque/Temp Gauge

fredfryguy said:
Guys, I just passed 600 miles on my 05 and wouned her up to 6000 rpm and quick shifted for some fun. Upon releasing the clutch pedal it failed to come off the floor till I quickly tapped again to release it! Kind of scary! Anybody else experience this? :confused :rolleyes: :mad :seeya Fred

I had a similar experience today. I have 1300 miles on my 2005 and wounded her up to 6000 rpm (cool!). Upon reaching 6th gear, I looked down at the gauges. The Torque gauge was resident at 350 and the outside temperature gauge was up to about 80 degrees while was in the forties????

I immediately knew something was wrong. My RPM's at this point were about 1500 and the temperature outside was in the mid forties. I pulled over... shut off the truck and started it back up again and everything went back to normal.

I have no idea what that was all about... has anyone experienced it?... solved it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
Bill Bogert said:
I had a similar experience today. I have 1300 miles on my 2005 and wounded her up to 6000 rpm (cool!). Upon reaching 6th gear, I looked down at the gauges. The Torque gauge was resident at 350 and the outside temperature gauge was up to about 80 degrees while was in the forties????

I immediately knew something was wrong. My RPM's at this point were about 1500 and the temperature outside was in the mid forties. I pulled over... shut off the truck and started it back up again and everything went back to normal.

I have no idea what that was all about... has anyone experienced it?... solved it?
I've not seen that. Sounds like a soft.. errr.. firmware problem. Unless someone can reproduce it reliably. I predict it's going to be a pain to solve.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't anybody else wind up ......

their motors to 6500 and shift fast????????????????????? :grouphug :party
 

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
11,997 Posts
Yes Happened to me ALL DAY

My clutch pedal was feeling a little tight and seemed to be sticking in general since I got my SSR Fri nite.
Drove to the LA Auto show this afternoon. No sweat until I got on the 10 and into stop and go traffic. At first the clutch pedal was sticky where a couple of positions it seemed to hang up briefly. As the traffic/stop and go continued the clutch gradually got worse until it starting staying on the floor even with my foot off the pedal. At this point I'm sure the drivers around me thought I couldn't drive a stick.. At one point I had to get my toes underneath the pedal and pull it up which made for an interesting launch in traffic. I fould that if I only depressed the pedal about half way (just far enough to change gears or start moving) it would work and not get stuck. By the time I got to the parking garage it was pretty much stucking any time I used it which made for some challenging driving on the uphill ramps when I had to stop then start again.
The drive home was better only because there was less traffic but the clutch was still sticking. I sure the cop next to me at the traffic light thought I was just baiting him - not sure I could have explained the clutch pedal to him but he just went on his way.
SSR is going in for service tomorrow for the clutch pedal. I sure hope they fine the problem.

The Arful Dodger
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! That makes 2 05 sticks with the problem...

Hi Artful, Sorry to hear you are having the same problem. I have not returned to the deal yet as it only does it at higher rpm's and i haven't had the time. Please post what they find as this could be a serious safety issue with our cars. thanks a lot, Fred :( :smash :cheers


hdflstf said:
My clutch pedal was feeling a little tight and seemed to be sticking in general since I got my SSR Fri nite.
Drove to the LA Auto show this afternoon. No sweat until I got on the 10 and into stop and go traffic. At first the clutch pedal was sticky where a couple of positions it seemed to hang up briefly. As the traffic/stop and go continued the clutch gradually got worse until it starting staying on the floor even with my foot off the pedal. At this point I'm sure the drivers around me thought I couldn't drive a stick.. At one point I had to get my toes underneath the pedal and pull it up which made for an interesting launch in traffic. I fould that if I only depressed the pedal about half way (just far enough to change gears or start moving) it would work and not get stuck. By the time I got to the parking garage it was pretty much stucking any time I used it which made for some challenging driving on the uphill ramps when I had to stop then start again.
The drive home was better only because there was less traffic but the clutch was still sticking. I sure the cop next to me at the traffic light thought I was just baiting him - not sure I could have explained the clutch pedal to him but he just went on his way.
SSR is going in for service tomorrow for the clutch pedal. I sure hope they fine the problem.

The Arful Dodger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
clutch...

Just a guess, but I'm surprised your cluth will disengage when pressed halfway down. Could be cluth adjustment free play is wrong causing the clutch to go over-center on depression.
 

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
11,997 Posts
joel said:
Just a guess, but I'm surprised your cluth will disengage when pressed halfway down. Could be cluth adjustment free play is wrong causing the clutch to go over-center on depression.
No. If you depress the clutch slowly it will release about half way down (barely) and I have not measured but the is an approvimation only. Even if it were overcentering when fully depressed that still doesn't explain the same problem occuring when not fully depressed.

Also, drove it this morning and it worked fine. I suspect it's heat related like maybe a cast iron housing for the slave and or actuator and an aluminum piston. If the clearance is too tight it will freeze up as the piston expands faster than the housing. Should be evidenced by some scoring on the piston. It goes to the dealer this afternoon. I'll post the results when I get them.

The Artful Dodger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
pesos said:
haven't had that happen - but i haven't had a chance to drive mine much yet :-( (stop already rain!!)

i DID have the following happen the night i bought it though:
i was driving down in 2nd gear about 10 mph, and all of a sudden the accelerator wasn't giving any gas to the engine. i pumped it and pumped it, and regardless of whether i was in gear or in neutral, the engine did not rev in the slightest. it was as if the fuel pump had just quit on me? I killed the engine, and turned it back on and everything was fine. gave me a scare for a minute though.

-Wes
Could it be vapor lock?
 

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
11,997 Posts
In For Service

Dropped the SSR off last night at the dealer to get the clutch fixed. They call me and told me they are replacing the slave and master cylinders for the clutch. Should be ready sometime tomorrow. I'll post a verdict when I get it back as well as some longer term thoughts as to it staying fixed or not.

The Artful Dodger
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bringing mine Thurs......

To get the clutch pedal looked at. Mine still will stay to the floor without my foot on it when I shift at higher RPM's. The dealer looked on GM's website but so far no service bulletins, I'll keep ya'all posted. Fred :mad :mad :) :seeya


hdflstf said:
Dropped the SSR off last night at the dealer to get the clutch fixed. They call me and told me they are replacing the slave and master cylinders for the clutch. Should be ready sometime tomorrow. I'll post a verdict when I get it back as well as some longer term thoughts as to it staying fixed or not.

The Artful Dodger
 

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
11,997 Posts
The Saga Continues

Talked with the dealer today about the status of the SSR. They say the MC and slave are special order and it should be ready in 2 or 3 more days. These are thesame people that told me Tuesday that the parts were in stock in the L.A. warehouse and the SSR would be ready Tues eve or Wed morning.
I;m thinking of naming mine the hangar queen since it will have been in the service bay longer than in my driveway.

The Artful Dodger :confused
 

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
Joined
·
549 Posts
I have no knowledge of what is really going on, but it sounds like there is friction in the physical clutch pedal system that is causing this. There is an overcenter spring in the system so that the effort to hold the clutch pedal down is reduced. This means there is less force pushing the pedal back up when it is fully depressed. If something is rubbing on the pedal or push rod parts or there is some pedal missalignment, then friction may cause this to happen. I would look on the pedal side of the hardware before working on the hydraulics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
It took 13 weeks to get a door panel that was damaged by my dealer and after an extensive conversation with them, they informed me that they were told that there is one major vendor for the parts. I don't know this to be the fact, but everyone I talk to about SSR's have to wait quite a while for parts. Even after 13 weeks the vendor sent the wrong part and my dealer had to take parts from a showroom car to fix mine. does anyone know if the rumor of most parts are coming from Italy is fact?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
freezer said:
I have no knowledge of what is really going on, but it sounds like there is friction in the physical clutch pedal system that is causing this. There is an overcenter spring in the system so that the effort to hold the clutch pedal down is reduced. This means there is less force pushing the pedal back up when it is fully depressed. If something is rubbing on the pedal or push rod parts or there is some pedal missalignment, then friction may cause this to happen. I would look on the pedal side of the hardware before working on the hydraulics.
:agree


You are correct , there will not be enough resistance in the hydraulic system to hold the clutch pedal to the floor , as well as the linkage perhaps causing it , it maybe in the pressure plate itself or the clutch release bearing hanging up on the transmisson , most have reported the condition occurs when warm , again points to mechanical.
 

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
Joined
·
549 Posts
The only parts that come from Italy are the wheels and the wheel caps. The chrome wheels are made in Italy and chromed in Canada. Most all of the parts are made in the US. It should not take more than a week to get most of the production parts. Your dealer sounds like a real piece of work.
 

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
11,997 Posts
Clutch Repair at Dealer - Still

There is some potential good news though..
Talked to the service folks today. The ones that have had my SSR longer than me. They ordered a kit the contains 3 parts for the hydraulic clutch system. Of these, one has come in. The good news (sort of) is that the other two parts are coming direct from the manufacturer since they have changed the design (maybe fixed the problem?). They don't know when they will get the parts - maybe Monday although I'm not sure what week yet. More to follow when my SSR returns home. I'll be sure to take a saw with me to the dealer so I can cut off any roots that may have started growing.

The Artful Dodger ;)
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Clutch sticking.....

I finally got my 05 in for he XM install, oil change and look at the clutch. The problem happened to the service guy exactly like I described! I was afraid the problem wouldn't happen but it did. They did some research and they said if something was not lined up at the factory it would have to be replaced and relined up. They ordered parts and they'll call me when there in. I'll keep ya posted....Fred :seeya :flag
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Top