Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed all the stories about 05, clutch problems. To anyones knowledge has the problem been found and is late 05's clutches ok. Advise and thanks. Scheide

·
Registered
65 Posts
Clutch fixed yet?

I've been following the clutch situation also, because it happened to me too :mad
I'm not aware of any clutch problems in vehicles with a VIN # above 120000.
Does anyone have any information to the contrary? :skep
Paul :cool

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Mine seems to be fixed after a 3 week visit to the dealer. Vin is under 120000 as are all the SSRs. It is over 12000 though.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Decision time is near.

I have Vin# 116833 waiting for me. I am still nervous taking delivery of a new vehicle and then have clutch trouble and no fix yet has been determined. With price of gas this is probably a stupid thing to do. Advise, Scheide.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Clutch Fixed?

Scheide said:
I have Vin# 116833 waiting for me. I am still nervous taking delivery of a new vehicle and then have clutch trouble and no fix yet has been determined. With price of gas this is probably a stupid thing to do. Advise, Scheide.
My first SSR was VIN# 118500. The clutch stopped working within an hour of initial delivery. My current SSR is VIN# 120052, with no clutch problems. The service manager reports that they fixed the first one by replacing the "flywheel assembly".
Happy Motoring :cool

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Paul in Boca said:
My first SSR was VIN# 118500. The clutch stopped working within an hour of initial delivery. My current SSR is VIN# 120052, with no clutch problems. The service manager reports that they fixed the first one by replacing the "flywheel assembly".
Happy Motoring :cool
I think your VIN must be 20052, unless they've been working overtime in Lansing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Clutch Issues

I have an '05 w/6 speed and I'm very unhappy with the way it shifts. I have owned many different cars over the years, and many with manual trans. My last was an '04 Vette. Not comparring the SSR trans. to the Vette, but the SSR shifts like a 1950's pick up truck. You have to push the clutch through the floor to properly engage it (says the GM dealer), which I do have to... There is NO way to shift fast with the set up.

Is anyone, or everyone having the same issues with their 6 speeds? If not, is there a bulletin on the problems I am seeing?

Thanks,

Hutch

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hutch said:
I have an '05 w/6 speed and I'm very unhappy with the way it shifts. I have owned many different cars over the years, and many with manual trans. My last was an '04 Vette. Not comparring the SSR trans. to the Vette, but the SSR shifts like a 1950's pick up truck. You have to push the clutch through the floor to properly engage it (says the GM dealer), which I do have to... There is NO way to shift fast with the set up.

Is anyone, or everyone having the same issues with their 6 speeds? If not, is there a bulletin on the problems I am seeing?

Thanks,

Hutch
tsb # 1696563----- clutch pedal will not return during high rpm shifts - inspect date on clutch replace if date is before a certain date

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hutch said:

Thanks,

Hutch
Must be somthing wrong with yours Hutch, mine shifts smooth as butter even without full pedal depression. I have pretty much had nothing but stick shifts including after market shifters over the last 30 years and this is one of the nicest so far.

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
Mine went in last Monday. The clutch pedal stuck to the floor and the service manager says this, well it's all I heard anyway; "Entire Clutch Assembly" needs to be replaced and the words, "National Backorder".

Brought my truck home til the parts come in.

I reported TINK, Click and rear end howl at 50mph. Document shows; Verified Complaint, Checked TSB # PIP3420B, axle housing and propeller shaft replacement, parts ordered. I did not have them repair these earlier because I didn't think that they were a Safety Issue.

I reported clutch pedal sticks at halfway point or all the way to the floor, Verified, Clutch Kit ordered, Master & Slave Cylinder also ordered.

I reported rubbing of paint by hydraulic top lines, passenger side, B-Pillar area, Verified, lines & wiring harness re-routed.

I reported A/C duct #2 came loose on back side, verified & repaired.

ETA on parts, 1 week.

I went in armed with all the TSB #'s I could find from this site, they questioned me at 1st where they all came from. I said Friends @ GM and left it at that.

I feel good about this. It seems they researched every TSB on the '06 SSR and are doing the right thing by me. I guess the reality of it will be the parts and how long they take to get to this rock and how it performs after everything is installed. They even washed and detailed it. :thumbs

·
Registered
36 Posts
6.0scSSR said:
Must be somthing wrong with yours Hutch, mine shifts smooth as butter even without full pedal depression. I have pretty much had nothing but stick shifts including after market shifters over the last 30 years and this is one of the nicest so far.
Thanks for your comments. I really like the union this group has...

I picked up the SSR last night from the dealer. They told me that they flushed the clutch and transmission fluids, checking for air. When I drove it home I noticed that it shifted much better, and the clutch was as smooth as butter. There must have been air in the lines or something, because it really made a difference.

I plan to call the dealer this morning and tell them how much I appreciate the work they did, and how satisfied I am (since I haven't been pleasant with them lately).

I'm looking forward to driving down to Memphis, from St. Louis, over the holiday with four other couples, all of which who own convertibles. Non of the others are SSR's, but that's ok with me. It allows me to stand out over the others.

Best Regards,
Hutch

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Hutch said:

Thanks,

Hutch
I'm having the same issue with a '06 Silverado. It is less than a 1/4 before it engages and I have to cram it into the rubber mat to hit reverse sometimes. Been to three dealers and most agree something is a miss but the zone manger says all is well. So they won't fix it. It is at the third dealer now, so we will see what they come up with.

I know it is not an SSR but it is a Chevy truck:willy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clutch problems

I previously posted problems with sticky clutch, black goo in clutch fluid. Brought my 05 SSR 6speed into the dealer. They said the entire clutch assembly needed to be repalced. 16 days in the shop and every part needed to be repaced. Results; no more drive shaft clancking - no more noise in second and third gear - shifts sooooo much better. Now the bad news - First and Reverse chatter like the clutch is worn. Try pulling into a garage or in and out of parking spaces and the car shakes like crazy. I was told by the dealer all or most 05 six speeds clutch assemblies needed to be repace. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
36 Posts
Clutch Issues

I got my SSR back last week. The dealer had it for 7 days, mostly waiting for parts.

Dealer replaced the Master Cylinder, and Clutch Assembly, under buliten 05 07 31 001A. Work order states that the Disc and/or Clutch Cover replaced.

The clutch resourve is holding fluid as of today (Sept. 18th). The clutch doesn't feel smooth like it did after they flushed the system earlier. It still feels like it did origionally, not smooth, and no way can you shift quickly, because of having to push clutch pedal all the way to the floor. Also, it doesn't go into gear smoothly.]

I plan to call the dealer again today and give them the latest info. We'll see what they do from here.

Hutch

·
Registered
121 Posts
Clutch Reservoir

Folks beware of the following:

After reading about the clutch return problems and the overheated fluid, I decided to check mine. At less than 4000 miles, it looked like coca-cola. So, I siphoned the reservoir, cleaned everything, put in DOT-4 fluid in, and prompthy dropped the rubber seal that fits inside the cap. After looking around for about 1/2 hour, I decided to go to the Chev parts counter and get a handful of them. Guess what. The seal is not a serviced part, so I'll be making one out of a bicycle inner-tube. For those who may end up in this same fix, the outside measurement is 38mm, and the inner is 24mm.

Edsel Murphy strikes again.

:blue:

StrokerMcGurk

·
Registered
373 Posts
StrokerMcGurk said:
Folks beware of the following:

After reading about the clutch return problems and the overheated fluid, I decided to check mine. At less than 4000 miles, it looked like coca-cola. So, I siphoned the reservoir, cleaned everything, put in DOT-4 fluid in, and prompthy dropped the rubber seal that fits inside the cap. After looking around for about 1/2 hour, I decided to go to the Chev parts counter and get a handful of them. Guess what. The seal is not a serviced part, so I'll be making one out of a bicycle inner-tube. For those who may end up in this same fix, the outside measurement is 38mm, and the inner is 24mm.

Edsel Murphy strikes again.

:blue:

StrokerMcGurk

Are you sure the fluid in the Clutch is DOT 3 compatible? If it's DOT 5 there could be some mixing problems.
There are 2 different part numbers referenced one for the Brakes which indicates it's DOT 3 equivalent and another P/N for the clutch system but it does not give a DOT equivalent number for that.

I posted this question in another thread "Clutch DOT ?". I asked for the DOT equivalent of the GM P/N for the fluid called out by the manual for the Clutch System.
NO one specifically came up with that. Plus there was a reference by someone to section 6-12 in the service manual for a DOT number. In my service manual for the 2006 SSR section 6-12 refers to the engine, not the Clutch system.

I guess I'll be checking with the dealer tech tomorrow to be sure what fluid is in the 2006 SSR clutch system.
Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Ask the dealer to look refer to Technical Assistance Case #8803368 and replace the clutch master cylinder part #15793835. This may solve most of your clutch problems.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
FarmTruck said:
Are you sure the fluid in the Clutch is DOT 3 compatible? If it's DOT 5 there could be some mixing problems.
There are 2 different part numbers referenced one for the Brakes which indicates it's DOT 3 equivalent and another P/N for the clutch system but it does not give a DOT equivalent number for that.

I posted this question in another thread "Clutch DOT ?". I asked for the DOT equivalent of the GM P/N for the fluid called out by the manual for the Clutch System.
NO one specifically came up with that. Plus there was a reference by someone to section 6-12 in the service manual for a DOT number. In my service manual for the 2006 SSR section 6-12 refers to the engine, not the Clutch system.

I guess I'll be checking with the dealer tech tomorrow to be sure what fluid is in the 2006 SSR clutch system.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Owners manual says DOT 3. Service manual says DOT 3. It's DOT 3. My guess is P/N difference is the size of the container.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts