Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a list for upgrade on the OEM clutch on my six speed. I know it has been discussed, but I cannot find the link now.

Can anyone help me here?

Dave

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Part number list for the LS7 upgrade:
Clutch p/n 24248985 List 345.44
Flywheel p/n 12571611 List 335.07
Slave cylinder p/n 24237634 List 253.32
SSR Pilot bearing p/n 12557583 List 18.17

I bought mine as a kit on Amazon. Below is a screen shot, not a link, of the vendor and kit on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I bought mine as a kit on Amazon. Below is a screen shot, not a link, of the vendor and kit on Amazon.

View attachment 576754
Thank you very much.

Dave

·
Premium Member
141 Posts

View attachment 576754
Trucknrod just checking that the complete kit from Amazon looks to be near half the price as to ordering separately, correct? Did the exchange work fine when it was completed, Sir? Thank you for sharing this information with the rest of us 6 Speeders. I read that the exchanged flywheel and clutch assemble was actually lighter that added to our horsepower, too.
Cecil

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Dave, check post 12 on my LS2 upgrade thread for some photos of the two sets of components, and links to Lonnie's thread about the LS7 clutch install. He was the pioneer who got that project off the ground.

Make sure you add the remote bleeder to you parts list. It will require a bit of Dremel work to the bellhousing for the remote bleeder to be installed, but not a big deal. The remote bleeder is priceless when you are first bleeding the new clutch. I don't know how you would bleed the new actuator without the remote.

Post 12 also has a photo of my bellhousing after I did the Dremel modifications for the new actuator line position and the remote bleeder.

There is a complete list of parts in post 44 of the same thread.

I picked up the Hinson remote bleeder from Summit Racing.

You will be surprised at the difference in mass between the stock SSR flywheel and the new LS7 part. Love the new setup. Leaving my house requires a stop on a steep uphill. I always had a clunking noise, which I now realize was from the dual mass flywheel when I dumped the clutch. That noise is gone.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Dave, check post 12 on my LS2 upgrade thread for some photos of the two sets of components, and links to Lonnie's thread about the LS7 clutch install. He was the pioneer who got that project off the ground.

Make sure you add the remote bleeder to you parts list. It will require a bit of Dremel work to the bellhousing for the remote bleeder to be installed, but not a big deal. The remote bleeder is priceless when you are first bleeding the new clutch. I don't know how you would bleed the new actuator without the remote.

Post 12 also has a photo of my bellhousing after I did the Dremel modifications for the new actuator line position and the remote bleeder.

There is a complete list of parts in post 44 of the same thread.

I picked up the Hinson remote bleeder from Summit Racing.

You will be surprised at the difference in mass between the stock SSR flywheel and the new LS7 part. Love the new setup. Leaving my house requires a stop on a steep uphill. I always had a clunking noise, which I now realize was from the dual mass flywheel when I dumped the clutch. That noise is gone.

Yep, nice loss in rotating weight! Stock dual mass setup is 74#, LS7 setup is 57#, and my LS9 dual disc setup is 48# using an aluminum flywheel.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Trucknrod just checking that the complete kit from Amazon looks to be near half the price as to ordering separately, correct? Did the exchange work fine when it was completed, Sir? Thank you for sharing this information with the rest of us 6 Speeders. I read that the exchanged flywheel and clutch assemble was actually lighter that added to our horsepower, too.
Cecil
Fatboy,
The prices were correct when I was doing mine last year...may be different now. The Amazon price is recent.
I’m happy with the LUK set up. Everything you need is in the kit and it bolted right up without a problem. I have several thousand miles on it now, including the run from Northern Calif to Branson, MO, last year.

As Flassh and Topspin advised in previous posts, I too added the remote bleeder. I used Flassh’s posts/pics as a guide to modify my bell housing for the remote bleeder. I also threw in new ARP flywheel and clutch assembly bolts.

If you do the swap yourself, be sure to have a good grip on the OE flywheel set when you pull it off...it weighs a ton!!

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
879 Posts
Yep, nice loss in rotating weight! Stock dual mass setup is 74#, LS7 setup is 57#, and my LS9 dual disc setup is 48# using an aluminum flywheel.
@dave rasmussen
The thread with the part numbers is below:

@Topspin
I’ve read and re-read many of your posts over the years. Great stuff. Now that I’ve got a 6spd, upgrading the clutch is more than whimsical read. I was thinking of doing the LS7 setup, but after re-reading your thread my questions are:
A) Is this the correct p/n for the Ligenfelter flywheel: L360010105?
B) Is there any shimming needed for the ZR1 slave and pressure plate setup or is it used as-is?

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
The LS9 has me interested because of the dual clutch. How hard is this project?

Dave
I spent a lot of time quantifying the setup before installation the first time. It's no different nor more involved than the LS7 installation, just more costly.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
@dave rasmussen
The thread with the part numbers is below:

@Topspin
I’ve read and re-read many of your posts over the years. Great stuff. Now that I’ve got a 6spd, upgrading the clutch is more than whimsical read. I was thinking of doing the LS7 setup, but after re-reading your thread my questions are:
A) Is this the correct p/n for the Ligenfelter flywheel: L360010105?
B) Is there any shimming needed for the ZR1 slave and pressure plate setup or is it used as-is?
Yes, that's the correct # for the Lingenfelter unit. No shimming required on anything, though I'm basing that on the Katech flywheel that I used. I'd be quite surprised if the Lingenfelter flywheel was dimensionally different.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Hey Topspin,
You are nothing if not thorough! I suspect in weighing clutch options you considered several. My question is, is there an aluminum flywheel available for the LS7 clutch assembly as well? Are there wear issues to your knowledge relating to the friction surface of the alloy wheels or do the have a friction insert these days? The '7' wheel looks like it is lightened somewhat by design judging by the pic. Thanks for being on the leading edge in these threads.
Tuckerred1948,

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Hey Topspin,
You are nothing if not thorough! I suspect in weighing clutch options you considered several. My question is, is there an aluminum flywheel available for the LS7 clutch assembly as well? Are there wear issues to your knowledge relating to the friction surface of the alloy wheels or do the have a friction insert these days? The '7' wheel looks like it is lightened somewhat by design judging by the pic. Thanks for being on the leading edge in these threads.
Tuckerred1948,
I'm certain there are aluminum aftermarket wheels available for that clutch. All aluminum flywheels that I've seen/used over the past 40 years have an insert in the friction zone. Here's the Katech unit that I'm using with a replaceable steel friction surface. I see Katech has these listed for $699 - that's cheaper than I paid for mine years ago!
dcp_2718.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts