Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can go to an auto parts store and get a code read for free because they want you to buy something from them eventually. I have been thinking it would be nice to have my own. Looked on the internet and one they advised was made by BOSCH. I don't know anything about any of them. I would like it to read the codes and also be able to clear codes so want a fairly good one but don't want to break the bank. Any advice or knowledge on the code readers would be welcome. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
An easy and cheap way to do this, if you have an Android phone or Bluetooth laptop, is to use a Bluetooth OBDII reader and Torque. Torque is a free app ( or you can pony up a few bucks for the pro version). The OBDII reader ( ELM327 device) is available on Ebay or Amazon for as little as $6. It not allows you to read and clear codes, but it can also give you run-time views of many of your parameters, even to the point of additional gauges. I used an old smart phone, and set up a gauge package so I can have it on all the time. Be aware that if you want to run all the time, a better OBDII device is required( one that will automatically shut down- most are on any time plugged in).

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,295 Posts
I was looking for one because in my area the Auto Zones will read them but not let you clear the codes anymore. I looked around and found several options at Jegs, Summit, Harbor Freight and one of the auto parts stores but I don't remember which one it was now. They all had them available for less than $50. I got tired of searching and ended up not buyinhh anything yet.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
Scanners/Programmers

Here is a link to info previously posted about the GM Tech 2 scanner, which is very capable for use on SSRs. There are other brands of scanners that have equal or more advanced capability to diagnose the latest GM cars, which use an advanced technology.

In recent years there has been a trend toward subscription-based access to programming, in which case the scanner alone will not be useful for that function without subscribing and downloading vehicle-specific information. For example, if you want to program an engine control module using a GM Tech 2, you need access to the calibration files. They are not "pre-installed" in the Tech 2. To obtain the calibration files you have to either subscribe or have access to the program that contains those calibration files.

What to buy depends on what capability you want above and beyond the generic OBD-II code readers for powertrain-related trouble codes.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/tech-2-programmer-215953/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts