Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
RUBY SSR
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that our new Colgan bra seems to be blocking a lot of the air intake slot above the Chevy emblem. Does anyone know if this could cause a breathing problem for the LS2?

The way the bra is designed could be a lot better from an air flow point of view. The hood/upper portion has a flap underneath that extends past the hood latch mech and the left side of the lower portion actually has a small bungee that lifts the fabric up into the intake opening.

Do you it think it would be worth the effort to contact Colgan and discuss this with them? I don't think we want our new SSR to run around braless! But then again, we don't want it choking for air either.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Your 2005 has the seals to keep the hot engine air from the filter housing. I would assume that the bra is seriously restricting the airflow into the filter. Take a look at my thread on the air intake, it shows how the filter is sealed and only draws air from the opening between the grill bar and the hood.

·
Registered
127 Posts
BAD BOB -- My temp went up when I installed the bra but I took the left side bungee off and the temp went back down. My ride has a K&N Aircharger on it.

·
RUBY SSR
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
May be Worth an E-Mail to Colgan

Yeah, I was wodering about the wisdom of the bungee. I think what is needed is to hold the lower bra to the crossbar and remove a lot of the excess flap under the hood.

Do you think that might help the problem, especially with the 05/06 models?

I e-mailed Colgan with a bunch of pictures today, it'll be interesting to see what they have to say. They were not very sympathetic over the phone. They did e-mail a picture of a bra on an '04 showing the elastic hooked over the left side hood support, which I fugure will make the problem even worse!

I have attached a picture which shows the blocked intake. I haven't tried attaching a picture before, so I'm not sure how it's going work out.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Yeah, I was wodering about the wisdom of the bungee. I think what is needed is to hold the lower bra to the crossbar and remove a lot of the excess flap under the hood.

I e-mailed Colgan with a bunch of pictures today, it'll be interesting to see what they have to say. They were not very sympathetic over the phone. They did e-mail a picture of a bra on an '04 showing the elastic hooked over the left side hood support, which I fugure will make the problem even worse!

I have attached a picture which shows the blocked intake. I haven't tried attaching a picture before, so I'm not sure how it's going work out.
I'm researching the Colgan Bra. Did this problem get taken care of ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've had a Colgan bra for over a year on my 2004 SSR. Before I replaced my factory fan, the temperatures remained the same (under the same conditions) whether or not I had the bra installed. After changing the fan to the dual SPAL fan..............same results. I also don't see any difference in performance from any part of the bra blocking air flow to the air-box.

·
Certified SSR "Nutcase"
1,816 Posts
Colgan Bra:

Bob:

DON'T connect the bungee to the location that the instructions point out to. Connect the bungee to the right edge of the opening for the hood latch. That will allow the bra to lay flat, as on the left side, and not be pulled upward like shown in your photo. Try that. That's the way I did mine. I would take a photo of it, but I only bought my Colgan bra for the trip to the Springfield Super Rally. Now it's put away.

Alex

·
Registered
28,760 Posts
Mason57, Jax and Alex,
Have either of you notices the date of Bad Bob post?:lol

I would think by now it been resolved.

·
Certified SSR "Nutcase"
1,816 Posts
Bra:

Mason57, Jax and Alex,
Have either of you notices the date of Bad Bob post?:lol

I would think by now it been resolved.
Jeff:

No, I'm embarassed to say that I completely overlooked the date of the original post. Mason57 posted, Jax gave his $0.02, and then I chimed in.

Alex

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Jeff:

No, I'm embarassed to say that I completely overlooked the date of the original post. Mason57 posted, Jax gave his $0.02, and then I chimed in.

Alex
I didn't notice the date. What does that have to do with it? I want to get one of these and want to know of any problems they may have. OK..So what don't you like about the Bra?

·
Clutch Killer
6,802 Posts
Hi Mason! I hadn't read this thread when I bought my colgan and Springfield was the first (and only) time I used it. My temp. gauge stayed on 210 through 10 southern states in June... No problems, unless that's why my clutch fluid disappeared. :eek When I get her back from the dealer I'll know for sure. I kinda doubt one has to do with the other...

Old posts are still usable. I may have inquired before I bought, it if I had seen this...

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I know this is an old post but just wanted to state that I've run my Colgan Bra 24-7 for more than a year and the temperature has always stayed at the 210 mark.

:black:​

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,618 Posts
My Colgan Bra has been on a lot as well. I do not see a temp increase in my SSR when it is on.

I did make one modification to the hood bra portion. I added a 2" x 2" patch of velcro on both sides of the hood latch opening. It seems the cold air intake opening in front of the air cleaner was getting a bit restricted (imo). I took out my leather sewing kit and added two pieces of the soft velcro to the bra side and then rough velcro pieces are stuck to the hood via the velcro's industrial strength glue. This helps a lot in getting the hood portion of the bra out of the way.

·
Certified SSR "Nutcase"
1,816 Posts
Colgan Bra:

I didn't notice the date. What does that have to do with it? I want to get one of these and want to know of any problems they may have. OK..So what don't you like about the Bra?
Mason57:

I just don't particularly like the way bras look.....on vehicles that is!:glol

It's just a personal thing with me. No doubt, they are VERY functional, and that is why I bought one for the Springfield trip. However, as soon as we got there, it came off and stayed off until we got ready to depart for home. Thus, I WOULD purchase a Colgan bra, if for nothing else but for use on longer trips. The only color vehicle that I would consider leaving the bra on all the time is black, as it tends to get lost and is much more subtle looking.

On my truck, I don't want a bra covering up any of the bright chrome, particulary my quite expensive, but extremely nice electroplated front bowtie.

Alex

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Mason57:

I just don't particularly like the way bras look....
:agree No Bras :agree Free To The Breeze......:glol :glol :glol

·
Registered
28,760 Posts
...I don't want a bra covering up any of the bright chrome, particulary my quite expensive, but extremely nice electroplated front bowtie.

Alex
In case you haven't noties... ladies are still wearing a bra after an expensive implant:jester

·
Disturbing Peace since 68
578 Posts
problem

Hey Bad Bob, I had a problem with my SSR on my way back from Phoenix awhile back. It slipped down a couple of inches while I was on the highway, my temperature spiked and I was surprised. it had never had a temperature spike before, I already have Mike's radiator and fan and a lower temp thermostat. I turned off the AC and rolled down the windows at 110 degrees. The temp dropped back to norm, when I pulled over to check, the bra had slipped down over the air inlet and was blocking air flow over the radiator. I tightened up the bra, and everything was fixed.

So be careful, keep those bras up.

Duane

·
Premium Member
19,885 Posts
colgan bra

after one very small rock chip I too was considering a bra for my ssr but alas money is tight and the fenders aren't sagging yet so they will be free to the wind for a while more. on the same note while working at a custom van shop in the late 70's thesales rep for van bras came in oneday . he was joking that here I was one of the top van conversion sales men and I didn't even own a van. I showed him my 78 stepside pu and it stop him in his place. then i chidded him on not making stuff for the truck people. well 2 days later and up from la he walks in with a bra and the worker who made it . we put it on and man did I sell the --it out of them.so many time did I tell people sorry don't have one right now that I ended up selling the one off my truck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts