Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having nightmares of the "Value" my insurance company would pay if my truck was totaled. I cannot get a value from them, they will only state that they will pay the "Current Book Value" at the time of an accident". I have visions of $15 to $20k for an '05 with 65,000 miles regardless of the condition of the truck or value or upgrades installed. I am paying Hartford $903/year for 100/300/100, $100 deduct on comprehensive, $1000 deduct on collision.

So I am getting quotes for "agreed value" of $30,000.
Hagerty = $1014/yr. for $300,000 Bodily injury/property, $75,000 . $0 deduct on collusion, comp.
Chrome/American National = $522/yr. (but their e-mail said "new value" instead of agreed value, I have asked for clarification.)
Grundy is quoting online is quoting $453/yr.

More research tomorrow.
I know there are restrictions, but I have 3 vehicles, don't go to work, I drive the truck very little since I got the SRX, usually to the SSR meets.

I need input and/or horror stories.

Jack

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
My R and other vintage trucks are insured with Hagerty. I had one claim on the ‘55 BelAir, needed a tow when a fuel pump went south. They had the tow truck there in less than 30 minutes, and dropped me and Car off at the house. Total time lapse was less than 90 minutes.
I too am not concerned about the restrictions, since they are or will be CAVU drivers and not used for routine errands etc. The R is insured for $22 K with about 22,000 miles on the meter, the ‘37 1/2 Ton has $30K and the ‘46 1/2 Ton nearing completion project carries $10K, but soon will be increased. Total as of now is about $800/year.

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
I have Grundy and have been very pleased. Mine is also garaged and driven less than 5k a year. If you drive more than 5k a year, than this will not work for you. There are restrictions with each company, so be aware of them before making a choice. As for me, best decision I ever made.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Jacktag keep us posted on your findings have been thinking about doing this myself, I did have Hagerty for my 74 Roadrunner but never had to make a claim for it.

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
43,048 Posts
We have Hagerty up here too, all I do is notify my agent that I’m going on a vacation and driving said vehicle and they don’t have an issue with the mileage, it was different about 12-15 years ago, ya had to purchase a mileage exemption rider which was $20 .... ya may want to check that!!

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
I too have concerns with my current insurance company and I am planning a switch this year. I will be watching this thread closely as I investigate my options.
Thank you the everyone in advance for your input.

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,346 Posts
Great question, Jack . . .

I have Infinity Classic Car Insurance . . . not for the SSR but the 1986 Jeep CJ-7. Similar limits as you have mentioned ($500k Liability and $0 Deductible Collision and Comprehensive) including a declared value of $30k for less than $400 a year. The only "catch" is no more than 6k miles per year . . . definitely no big deal for me.

Infinity is linked in some way with AAA Insurance here in Arizona so all of the verification and paperwork details are handled by the local AAA Agent.

No information on claims since I've only had it for a few years with no problems so far . . . KNOCK ON WOOD.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,796 Posts
I've never had to record my mileage or been questioned about anywhere or anytime I drive the R. I've been with Grundy for 10 yrs, Grundy set our agreed value at $55K, best insurance move I've ever made!!

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
Collector Car Insurance

As noted, the type of specialty insurance offered by Hagerty, American Collectors, Heacock, Grundy and others is not intended to apply to cars that are daily drivers, but to those whose primary use is car hobby-related events and occasional pleasure use. In addition, there are either fixed mileage limits or a selection of mileage tiers from which you can choose based on your expected driving habits, e.g., 1000 miles per year, 3000 miles per year, etc. Some of these miles can be rolled over to the next year with some companies. At least one company does offer an option to drive your car to work once or twice a week (for an additional premium). Read the terms carefully and be up front with your intended usage when you talk to an agent, as "occasional pleasure use" is defined differently so has different restrictions. Add in the different liability, collision, medical payments, spare parts and towing coverage and different deductibles and it's a challenge to compare apples to apples on terms and conditions of coverage among quotes so don't use a simple price quote alone as a basis for a selection. And BTW, some of the companies use the same basic underwriter even though they operate their own companies. American Modern, for example, underwrites the policies for more than one of the specialty insurers. For years I had various cars insured with Condon and Skelly but moved to American Collectors because Condon and Skelly would not insure modified cars (they have since expanded their coverage). More recently I enrolled with American Modern because American Collectors would not provide agreed-value coverage for a late-model muscle car.

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
My R and other vintage trucks are insured with Hagerty. I had one claim on the ‘55 BelAir, needed a tow when a fuel pump went south. They had the tow truck there in less than 30 minutes, and dropped me and Car off at the house. Total time lapse was less than 90 minutes.
I too am not concerned about the restrictions, since they are or will be CAVU drivers and not used for routine errands etc. The R is insured for $22 K with about 22,000 miles on the meter, the ‘37 1/2 Ton has $30K and the ‘46 1/2 Ton nearing completion project carries $10K, but soon will be increased. Total as of now is about $800/year.
Lee, had 3 different 55 Chevy's ... ALWAYS carried a Fuel Pump, Plug Wires, Plugs and Jug of Half & Half (Coolant & Water) in the Trunk. Fuel Pumps are necessity in those old Chevy's. Replaced one on side of I-40 headed to Memphis one day and was back on the road in 35 minutes. Oh, don't forget the Tool Box !!! Gotta' have that too. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Found the same problem several years ago. To qualify for a Classic Car / Show Car / collectors car there were annual mileage restrictions secured storage and more than a few other requirements to get that coverage. I did find a company that would insure my R for ANY amount above the book value BUT, the premium was MUCH higher. They got us "coming going, or just parked in the garage"

With all the "Uninsured" / Bad / Distracted drivers out there it's a high probability that if you are a daily driver you will be involved in an accident. That is why the insurance is so expensive here in LA.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just got insured with SafeCo for specialty car insurance. SSR must be garage kept . Proof of purchase price for full coverage option. Olus documentation of any custome work done to the SSR. 3000 miles per year coverage for car shows and car events. Photos must be submitted of the SSR to include engine, interior , 4 sides .

They will require photos every two years. . $431 per year foll declared purchase coverage. $30K

Layne12gun

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grundy

I went with Grundy,

$30,000 agreed value,
$300,000 Combined Single Limit(per accident)
$300,000 Uninsured/underinsured Motorist (stacked)
Auto Show Medical reimbursement.
Full windshield coverage.
Spare parts $500.
Towing and Labor ($250).
Trip interruption coverage $600.

Comprehensive $0 Deductible,
Collision $0 Deductible
7500 miles per year.

Total Premium $470/yr. vs $925 for Hartford that I now have.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About the same price

When Hartford (AARP) raised the cost on the Cadillac when I removed the SSR and lost the multicar discount I ended up paying about $18 per year more for the Cadillac and the SSR. But I got $30,000 agreed value, $0.00 deductible, etc. so it is a very good deal.

Jack

Reactions: KRAUT

·
Premium Member
2004 slingshot yellow
65 Posts
Has anyone used Condon-Skelly to insure there SSR (show, parades, Dairy Queen, not a daily driver, $300,000-$300,000-$300,000, 0 deductable) Hagerty ins. quote $820 a year, Condon-Skelly ins. quote $412 a year. Any replies good or bad about Condon-Skelly is welcome...thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agreed value

Looks like most Agreed Values are in the $20-30K range. Just wondering how ssroe above established an Agreed Value of $55K? :purple:

·
189 the LAST blur
245 Posts
Ever heard of NCM Insurance

Just returned from the National Convention in Vegas (the Corvette one) and attended an insurance seminar among others and listened to a presentation from a National Corvette Museum Insurance representative. Very interesting. They are aggressively going after the Grundy, Haggery, and a few others Market. I got a hypothetical quote on 2 Corvettes and the R that was almost half of what I pay now. Similar conditions and limits and agreed value. Unfortunately they are not interested in coming into the Canadian market right now. They got there hands full in the US. Worth checking into ?? if your a resident.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Asked my agent how much my regular insurance would pay for a total. She couldn't say. Adjuster got involved and said its the value listed in NADA, then they call a local dealer and get his opinion and that's what it's based on. They would not tell me what they would pay if I totaled it today. I went with Hagerty with 0 deductable and started value 29k. I first told them I drive 7,500 a year and Hagerty told agent no. So I asked for 5k miles and good to go for 781. I asked if they wanted pictures and mileage and agent said didn't need it policy is written. I was not comfortable with regular insurance thinking they could total it at 12k or some low number.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts