Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I got my license plates in the mail on Saturday and noticed that my SSR is registered as a California Commercial Vehicle. This just means that I have to pay more on my registration each year.....so I thought.....

Some history with the DMV:
I had a Chevy 3/4 ton long bed that was indeed classed as a Commercial Vehicle. I added a bolted on Wildernest Campershell and the DMV classed it as a SUV.
Their reasoning was the fact that the camper was not removable made the vehicle more like a RV than a truck so they registered it Non Commercial like a car. They warned me, however, that if I ever removed the camper, then I would have to change the registration back to Commercial.

Talking with the DMV rep at the Automobile Club of Southern CA (AAA) today, they tell me there is no precedence set for the SSR to be classified as anything but Commercial. Yes, the back is closed, which is usually the determining factor, but the DMV has not been receiving Commercial revenues for some of the new “Hybrid” SUV’s out there (Avalanche, Escalade, Hummer, etc.) so the AAA is reluctant to change any vehicle to non commercial that the Dealership registered as commercial. There reasoning is the Dealership should know best.

I don’t mind the Commercial class until the AAA rep told me that, not only will my registration be less, but my insurance would cost less as well if the SSR is registered as non-commercial...this got me thinking.

Are there any Fanatics out there that have their vehicles registered Non-Commercial?? Especially in California?? I have a call in to the DMV investigator that helped me register my SSR as Used (Need Legal Help?) I would like to have others out there stand up and be counted before I take on the DMV. If I can prove that it has already happened, I can push for it to happen on all SSR’s that are sold with the Tonneau Cover on.

We will cal this......Crusade #2

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Commercial Vehicle Registration

Back when I lived in Corona, CA, I went 'round and 'round with the neanderthal at the DMV about how to register my #369 '03. Since they didn't even know what it was (and of course had never seen one before), I had to pay top dollar for my registration as a commercial vehicle.

More proof that the CA DMV is way too powerful. They can pretty much charge anything they want and there is nothing you can do about it! :cuss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
StepPrinting said:
Hi All,

I got my license plates in the mail on Saturday and noticed that my SSR is registered as a California Commercial Vehicle. This just means that I have to pay more on my registration each year.....so I thought.....

Some history with the DMV:
I had a Chevy 3/4 ton long bed that was indeed classed as a Commercial Vehicle. I added a bolted on Wildernest Campershell and the DMV classed it as a SUV.
Their reasoning was the fact that the camper was not removable made the vehicle more like a RV than a truck so they registered it Non Commercial like a car. They warned me, however, that if I ever removed the camper, then I would have to change the registration back to Commercial.

Talking with the DMV rep at the Automobile Club of Southern CA (AAA) today, they tell me there is no precedence set for the SSR to be classified as anything but Commercial. Yes, the back is closed, which is usually the determining factor, but the DMV has not been receiving Commercial revenues for some of the new “Hybrid” SUV’s out there (Avalanche, Escalade, Hummer, etc.) so the AAA is reluctant to change any vehicle to non commercial that the Dealership registered as commercial. There reasoning is the Dealership should know best.

I don’t mind the Commercial class until the AAA rep told me that, not only will my registration be less, but my insurance would cost less as well if the SSR is registered as non-commercial...this got me thinking.

Are there any Fanatics out there that have their vehicles registered Non-Commercial?? Especially in California?? I have a call in to the DMV investigator that helped me register my SSR as Used (Need Legal Help?) I would like to have others out there stand up and be counted before I take on the DMV. If I can prove that it has already happened, I can push for it to happen on all SSR’s that are sold with the Tonneau Cover on.

We will cal this......Crusade #2

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com

I used to think that New Jersey was the worst place to own a car....truck, uh SUV :mad
 

·
SSR Owners Group
Joined
·
3,753 Posts
Just used the DMV calculator to figure the fees:

An Auto (2005 - Gas - bought 8/9/2005 for 45000k in Fresno County will have Annual Registration fees of $356.00 - Use Tax = 3,589.00

A Commercial (2005 - Gas - 2 axle - unladen weight of 4001 to 5000 lbs bought for 45000k in Fresno County has an annual fee of: $436.00 - use tax - 3589.00...

Looks like a total of 80.00 more for a commercial SSR...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kwhopper89 said:
Looks like a total of 80.00 more for a commercial SSR...
Doesn't sound like much, but that's $80 for each SSR sold in CA year after year after year. :mad

I'm trying to find out what the insurance rate differece is. I don't mind "helping" California with an extra $80 per year, but I would sell the family pet to save money on car insurance.

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
StepPrinting said:
Doesn't sound like much, but that's $80 for each SSR sold in CA year after year after year. :mad

I'm trying to find out what the insurance rate differece is. I don't mind "helping" California with an extra $80 per year, but I would sell the family pet to save money on car insurance.

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com


texas registers all trucks as trucks and commercial vehicles separately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
Don't be too quick...

Because the SSR is a truck, it falls into the utility vehicle exemption with respect to fleet fuel mileage.
 

·
OP
Joined
·
8,225 Posts
Gvwr 6050

The GVWR listed on the SSR is 6050 pounds. Remember GVWR.
There are IRS rules for business vehicles, not necessarily commercial, and one is the GVWR must exceed 6000 pounds.

It may be possible that Cailfornia is looking at the GVWR number and based on the weight, classifying it as a commercial vehicle. Although this would mean most SUVs wouldbe classified as commercial if that was the case. The Volve XC90 with the 3rd seat option reaches a GVWR of 6050 pounds and that SUV is obvioulsy much smaller than a Hummer H2.

Interesting that CA would do this regardless of the reason. In Texas the SSR is considered a light truck and thus is registered the same as a car, SUVs are registered the same as well.

Good Luck, but it sounds like someone at the CA DMV may have made a mistake, maybe they were distracted by seeing someone out the window hugging a tree...no wait, that wouldn't be a distraction in CA...maybe they were distracted by someone chopping down a tree...or something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ampmop said:
Good Luck, but it sounds like someone at the CA DMV may have made a mistake, maybe they were distracted by seeing someone out the window hugging a tree...no wait, that wouldn't be a distraction in CA...maybe they were distracted by someone chopping down a tree...or something like that.
My registration has an Unladen/G/CGW as 4615. Is that the weight?? There is also a “Type Veh” section with 31P – Does anyone know what that is??

My 3/4 ton chevy was 5500 pounds on a local scale and, again, was classified the same as a car or SUV because the back was closed up. What is disturbing here is the reliance on what the dealerships say the truck is opposed to what they really are.

My goal is to get the classification standardized by what these really are....A Roadster......

Maybe it’s time for a Fanatic Poll on this Truck, Roadster, Car. What do Fanatics say the SSR is.

BTW – As much as I think California has gone off the deep end with its politics, as a printer I will stop and hug a tree now and again. Who knows, that tree might just be the next sacrifice for my next press run. :flag

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
myth or fact?

Someone once told me that some people were regestering autos as commercial because it let them park in loading zones.

I suspect it's just bull.
 

·
OP
Joined
·
8,225 Posts
StepPrinting said:
My registration has an Unladen/G/CGW as 4615. Is that the weight?? There is also a “Type Veh” section with 31P – Does anyone know what that is??

My 3/4 ton chevy was 5500 pounds on a local scale and, again, was classified the same as a car or SUV because the back was closed up. What is disturbing here is the reliance on what the dealerships say the truck is opposed to what they really are.

My goal is to get the classification standardized by what these really are....A Roadster......

Maybe it’s time for a Fanatic Poll on this Truck, Roadster, Car. What do Fanatics say the SSR is.

BTW – As much as I think California has gone off the deep end with its politics, as a printer I will stop and hug a tree now and again. Who knows, that tree might just be the next sacrifice for my next press run. :flag

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com
Curb weight of the stock SSR is 4780 pounds, GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio) is 6050. According to the Texas DMV, the SSR is classified as a light truck/passenger car.
Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2005SSR6Speed said:
Mine is also registered as commercial. When the registration is due I will take it to the DMV and have it converted to auto.

Let us know the outcome. I'm curious what the DMV will have to say.

I've called some other AAA offices and a few DMV's (when you can get passed the automated systems) and it sounds like who you talk to and how willing are they to change the registration is office dependant. In other words, it might just be the luck of the draw when we register our cars if it is changed to Non-commercial.

I would like to see it standardized throughout this state.

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Calif. Registration

StepPrinting said:
Hi All,

I got my license plates in the mail on Saturday and noticed that my SSR is registered as a California Commercial Vehicle. This just means that I have to pay more on my registration each year.....so I thought.....

Some history with the DMV:
I had a Chevy 3/4 ton long bed that was indeed classed as a Commercial Vehicle. I added a bolted on Wildernest Campershell and the DMV classed it as a SUV.
Their reasoning was the fact that the camper was not removable made the vehicle more like a RV than a truck so they registered it Non Commercial like a car. They warned me, however, that if I ever removed the camper, then I would have to change the registration back to Commercial.

Talking with the DMV rep at the Automobile Club of Southern CA (AAA) today, they tell me there is no precedence set for the SSR to be classified as anything but Commercial. Yes, the back is closed, which is usually the determining factor, but the DMV has not been receiving Commercial revenues for some of the new “Hybrid” SUV’s out there (Avalanche, Escalade, Hummer, etc.) so the AAA is reluctant to change any vehicle to non commercial that the Dealership registered as commercial. There reasoning is the Dealership should know best.

I don’t mind the Commercial class until the AAA rep told me that, not only will my registration be less, but my insurance would cost less as well if the SSR is registered as non-commercial...this got me thinking.

Are there any Fanatics out there that have their vehicles registered Non-Commercial?? Especially in California?? I have a call in to the DMV investigator that helped me register my SSR as Used (Need Legal Help?) I would like to have others out there stand up and be counted before I take on the DMV. If I can prove that it has already happened, I can push for it to happen on all SSR’s that are sold with the Tonneau Cover on.

We will cal this......Crusade #2

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com
Joe:

They registered mine as a Pickup Truck! (Calif.)

SR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
End of Thread.........It’s Over.....The DMV has ruled......

Any of you that have your SSR registered as an auto.....Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Truck with a camper shell = Auto, providing the shell is bolted on. But, if the camper has “J” hooks = Commercial

SVT with a small cargo area = Commercial Truck because of the open bed area – Even if it is just a foot or so.

Truck with a tonneau cover = Commercial – get this – because it opens in the up direction making the cargo area available for carrying stuff. So, our SSR’s fall under the truck with the tonneau cover ruling that has been on the books for quite some time.


I guess I will have to have a custom camper shell made for my SSR and bolt it on to save the $80 per year. Maybe a nice wood job with shingles and aluminum windows....perhaps in the shape of a pineapple.

Thanks for indulging my Crusade #2. Any suggestions for #3???


Joe Davis,
StepPrinting.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Next on "As The Roof Retracts"

Hi All,

I posted this on the Need Legal Help??? thread, but thought I would repeat this section here:

I finally got my license plates and they are wrong! My Vin number on my registration Card matches my SSR and the plate numbers match what is in the envelope, but the Plate number in not what was issued to me according to the DMV Computer!!!!!!!!

I wouldn’t have even known about it if I hadn’t tried to change my plates to my personalized ones and tried to change my vehicle to non commercial. AAA couldn’t figure out what was going on, so I’m glad to have the DMV investigator in my corner. He told me what my plate number should be and it was completely different from what was sent to me......Coincidence????

Anyway, I have an appointment with the DMV in the morning to straighten everything out.

I suggest everyone call thier local DMV and check the plate number on the computer to see if it matches what is on your car!!!

I was afraid to ask what the consequenses would be for having bogus plates on my SSR. Sure I could straighen it out......from jail.


Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top