Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's it for? Or what is supposed to be in there? Mine is empty.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
180 Posts
Bed Cover Storage

Some Fanatics found it was a good place to keep the owner's manual (leaving more room available in center console or glove box.

I thought this made good sense. I had the carpet package added on after buying my 05 and lo and behold they stopped putting the bed cover storage in sometime during the 05 MY.
 

·
Tu-Tone club member
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
I tell people its where I keep my "stash"....uhhhh my maps.

P/P

Peace :flag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Sorry, dumb question... I've had my SSR for a month and was completely unaware there was a compartment under the bed cover. Where is it? How do you get to it? I'm tired of leaving my stash on the passenger seat. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Another mystery solved

I was wondering about this. We looked at new SSRs at local dealerships earlier this month, before buying a used '05. The new ones on the lots (the one's we looked at, anyway) all had the storage compartment on the underside of the cargo cover. The used one we purchased doesn't have it. No great loss, although I agree it would have been a handy location for the owner's manual and top tool.
 

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
Joined
·
9,315 Posts
also a great place to store your cargo net when not using... :thumbs

in response to the post below: have had NO problems with my latch staying latched...as far as I know, original latch :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
storage compartment

artsmart said:
also a great place to store your cargo net when not using... :thumbs


The original latches on the 04 models won't stay latched if you have anything stored in them. Every time I opened the back lid the thing would pop open. Some people replaced the latch, I just don't use mine anymore. :cuss
 

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Different latches

I found a different latch on an 04 . It is a nicer design. Will try to find out more info.
 

·
Tu-Tone club member
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
The '05's have a different latch than the 04's do. '05's don't open when you slam them like our '04's do

P/P

Peace :flag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Sample Bags

The second main reason I bought the SSR was the covered bed. I travel and keep sample bags of my merchandise in the covered area. It is the only vehicle that I could find that I had a good chance of people not seeing my bags and breaking into my SUV as it has been 4 or 5 times. I love the back but wish it was a little "deeper"! sandy :ssr
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The dealership warrantied my carpet on the bed cover because of would not stay latched on the 03 I used to have because the lid opened every time you shut it. sent the whole carpet for the lid. Had the new door in the carpet. turned it to open. Never had another problem with it. They can waranty it. take it in so they can get you the new one. :thumbs :ssr :flag :seeya
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Watch out for owners manual!!!

That's a cool compartment under the bed cover, I thought it would be perfect for the owner's manual, to free up space in the glove box. So I put the owner's manual in there last week when I bought my new truck, and by the next day when I went to get the manual out to read, the sun had baked it causing the glue to melt that holds the pages, now all the pages fall out and are not attached to anything!!! :lol
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,652 Posts
bed cover's storage compartment

batwings05 said:
... the sun had baked it causing the glue to melt that holds the pages, now all the pages fall out and are not attached to anything!!!
Thats not a good thing at all... :nodno

BTW: I found that it holds my original GM warning label just fine.... you know that label which tells the operator not to close the tail gate first. :lol
 

·
Original SSR Centerfold
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
Marc NY said:
Thats not a good thing at all... :nodno

BTW: I found that it holds my orginial GM warning label just fine.... you know that label which tells the operator not to close the tail gate first. :lol
Great minds think alike. Thats where mine is too. :lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
Drz said:
Sorry, dumb question... I've had my SSR for a month and was completely unaware there was a compartment under the bed cover. Where is it? How do you get to it? I'm tired of leaving my stash on the passenger seat. ;)
It's only in the carpeted, tricked out beds. I have the plain Jane model and it doesn't have the useless box.
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
houtex said:
It's only in the carpeted, tricked out beds. I have the plain Jane model and it doesn't have the useless box.

houtex,

Thanks for the info on the useless box. I was aslo wondering why I didn't have one. It seems like these SSR's were all built differently. Sales reps don't tell you a whole lot when you go to buy one either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

I got a alot more possible uses for the "mystery" box than I expected, but the one about the top tool was the best!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
JAustin said:
I was wondering about this. We looked at new SSRs at local dealerships earlier this month, before buying a used '05. The new ones on the lots (the one's we looked at, anyway) all had the storage compartment on the underside of the cargo cover. The used one we purchased doesn't have it. No great loss, although I agree it would have been a handy location for the owner's manual and top tool.
Careful, the "top Tool" is also the tool used to open the bed cover if the electrical fails.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Where to stow the top tool

Fred Edick said:
Careful, the "top Tool" is also the tool used to open the bed cover if the electrical fails.....
Fred: Good point! Since my SSR doesn't have the storage compartment, it's a none issue for me, but good advice for others! Mine is to be tucked away in the owner's manual, which I store (along with precious little else) in the console.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top