S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the poop :leaving

CHEVROLET SSR
For Release: Aug. 1, 2004

New for 2005
Gen IV 6.0L LS2 V-8 engine (390 horsepower/291 kw)
Hydra-Matic 4L65-E four-speed automatic transmission (standard)
Tremec M10 six-speed manual transmission (optional)
New engine cover
Retuned steering system for more precise on-center feel and reduced low-speed effort
Revised exhaust routing – two pipes from muffler (quasi-dual exhaust)
“Dead pedal” design change to accommodate manual transmission option
Traction control button replaced with embossed SSR logo (manual transmission only)
Self-supporting gas hood struts
Sound system with CD player and MP3 playback capability (1SA package only)
New Regular Production Accessories (RPAs):
Auxiliary gauge package (volts, delivered torque, outside temperature)
Windbreak
Body color package includes body color on:
Auxiliary gauges (volts, delivered torque, outside temperature)
Engine cover insert
Pickup bed strips
Body color package with running boards includes body color on:
Auxiliary gauges (volts, delivered torque, outside temperature)
Engine cover insert
Pickup bed strips
Running boards
New bearing and low friction steering sealing package
Retuned valve and torsion bar to lower steering efforts
New exterior color: Aqua Blur (replaces Ultra Violet)
Revised driver’s side floor mat
Model Lineup
Engine Transmissions
6.0L V-8 (LS2)
4-spd auto

(Hydra-Matic 4L65-E)
6-spd man (M10)

SSR
s
s
o

Key:

Standard
s

Optional
o

CHEVROLET SSR: SIX LITERS OF V-8 CORVETTE POWER FOR THE ULTIMATE BOULEVARD CRUISER PICKUP
Ever since its debut for 2003, the Chevrolet SSR with its retractable hardtop has been turning heads as the ultimate boulevard cruiser pickup truck. For 2005, SSR gets to snap some necks with a potent new 6.0L LS2 V-8 engine and available six-speed manual transmission straight out of the legendary Corvette.

Flexing potent new muscle to match its stunning looks, SSR is powered by the newest version of Chevy’s legendary small-block V-8. Ratings are 390 horsepower (291 kw) at 5400 rpm, while torque is 405 lb.-ft (549 Nm) at 4400 rpm.

This massive power dose is harnessed through Corvette’s Hydra-Matic 4L65-E four-speed automatic transmission or an optional Tremec M10 six-speed manual gearbox.

Engineering advances in catalyst materials made possible catalytic converters that are more effective and less restrictive for the LS2’s exhaust. The new converters are mounted closer to the exhaust manifold for quicker “lightoff” and reduced cold-start emissions. SSR’s exhaust has been retuned to maintain its throaty sound.

In addition to its new powertrain, SSR has numerous other enhancements for 2005, all designed to make this outrageous retractable-top roadster the thrill ride of the year. Upgrades include:

A retuned steering system for a more precise on-center feel and reduced low-speed effort
A revised quasi-dual exhaust routing system with two pipes from the muffler with baffled tip inserts
A new “dead pedal” design
Self-supporting gas hood struts
An MP3-capable base stereo system (1SA only)
An embossed logo in place of the traction control button on manual transmission models
New engine cover
Aqua Blur replaces Ultra Violet in SSR’s exterior body palette.
Also new for 2005 are several new GM accessory packages that include: auxiliary gauge package (volts, delivered torque, exterior temperature); a body color package, which adds the exterior color to SSR’s auxiliary gauge package, engine cover insert and cargo area strips; a body color package with running boards; and a windbreak.

Striking looks, stunning innovation

While SSR’s dramatic exterior shape may recall the full-fendered forms of the late ’40s and early ’50s, this innovative roadster is anything but retro when it comes to incorporating leading-edge technology and creative design solutions.

One of SSR’s most distinguishing features is its cleverly engineered power-retractable hardtop, which provides an open-air driving experience without sacrificing cargo space. Incorporating a “top stack” design, SSR’s retractable hardtop is the first ever applied on a pickup. It is the only system of its kind where the roof panels move independently, stacking vertically behind the passenger compartment – a design that ensures quick operation with minimal stowage requirements.

A single button on the console transforms SSR from an enclosed hardtop to a convertible in less than 30 seconds, neatly tucking the roof panels rearward between the passenger compartment and cargo bed. This unique vertical storage design system enables SSR to maintain the utility and convenience of a pickup – even with the top down.

Distinctive interior

SSR’s interior design is based on Chevrolet's twin ****pit approach, with a horizontal cross-car bar and body-colored accents that pull exterior design cues inside. The satin chrome aluminum look used on elements of SSR’s exterior continues on the interior door trim and instrument panel bezels. The cleanly styled instrument panel contains gauges with bold graphics and a simple three-dial design for all climate controls.

Modern technology meets traditional methods

SSR’s flared front fenders and quarter panels are formed using a blend of modern technology and some traditional methods used to produce the original 1947-1953 Advanced Design Chevy lineup of pickup trucks, which formed the inspiration for this unique modern-day muscle truck. The stamping process, for example, uses a unique method called “inverted toggle draw,” which combines the original toggle draw process and the more recent stretch draw concept. The use of new Grade 5 deep-draw quality steel enables these shapes to be formed without splitting.

Underneath its sleek exterior, SSR incorporates a body-on-frame construction, which is an upper steel unibody mounted on a boxed frame. Fully hydroformed steel side rails provide the frame with strength and stiffness, relatively low weight and precision fits. Eight cross members – as opposed to only four or six in similar frame designs – boost structural strength while contributing to a smooth ride, more precise handling and reduced noise and vibration levels.

The upper unibody helps support SSR’s retractable roof system, while minimizing the loss of structural integrity typically associated with convertibles by augmenting the stiffness of the entire vehicle with special cross members.

A well-mannered ride, new steering system

For 2005, SSR’s steering system is significantly revised, including a retuned valve and t-bar assembly, and a new bearing and friction seal package. These upgrades provide a more precise on-center feel, smoother overall operation and reduced effort at lower speeds.

SSR’s stiff frame and specifically tuned suspension provide a boulevard-cruiser ride, yet is responsive enough to handle the added horsepower of the LS2 V-8 while also delivering the durability levels expected in a truck.

The front suspension uses upper and lower control arms for superior kinematics, damping and stability, and works with SSR’s rack-and-pinion steering to provide precise control. SSR’s rear five-link live axle suspension, which uses monotube shock absorbers with mountings outboard of the frame, also provides improved body and wheel control. Steel coil springs and a micro cellular urethane auxiliary spring enhance ride comfort and stability during fully loaded conditions.

The SSR equipped with an automatic transmission has standard electronic traction control, an 8.6-inch (21.8-cm) rear axle, a Torsen differential and massive P295/40R20 rear tires ensure that SSR delivers its power to the ground with exceptional traction and control. The Torsen differential, proven on performance cars, works seamlessly with the traction assist to maximize performance during strong acceleration or over varying road surfaces. The SSR with a manual transmission foregoes the traction control feature and utilizes a 9.5-inch (24.1-cm) rear axle with an Eaton limited slip differential.

Four-wheel vented disc brakes with ABS and dynamic rear proportioning provide SSR with outstanding stopping performance, and world-class levels of brake feel, wear resistance and low noise. The use of non-asbestos organic compound lining extends brake life to 40,000 miles, depending on vehicle use and payload.

# # #

Chevrolet Communications
Bob Tripolsky
Phone: 313-667-5051
Fax: 313-667-4007
E-mail: [email protected]

GM of Canada Communications
Richard James
Phone: 905-644-1804
Fax: 905-644-3873
E-mail: mailto:p[email protected]

GM de Mexico Communications
Juan Bernardo Urrutia
Phone: 011-525-6250-3046
E-mail: [email protected]

SPECIFICATIONS
(See GM of Canada section for Canadian product differences)

Overview
Models: SSR

Body style / driveline:
2-seat convertible roadster with retractable hardtop / rear-wheel drive

Construction:
2-sided galvanized steel on exterior panels

EPA vehicle class:
midsize truck

Manufacturing location:
Lansing, Mich.

Engine
6.0L V-8 (LS2)

Type:
6.0L OHV V-8

Displacement (cu in / cc):
366 / 6000

Bore & stroke (in / mm):
4.00 x 3.62 / 101.6 x 92

Block material:
cast aluminum

Cylinder head material:
cast aluminum

Valvetrain:
OHV, 2 valves per cylinder, camshaft in block, hydraulic roller lifters

Ignition system:
electronic direct

Fuel delivery:
sequential fuel injection

Compression ratio:
10.9:1

Horsepower (hp / kw @ rpm):
390 / 291 @ 5400

Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm):
405 / 549 @ 4400

Recommended fuel:
93 octane recommended, not required

Maximum engine speed (rpm):

Exhaust system:
stainless steel with single muffler and dual tailpipes

Emission controls:
evaporative system, catalytic converter, exhaust gas recirculation, positive crankcase ventilation

Estimated fuel economy

(mpg city / hwy / combined):
TBD

Transmissions
Hydra-Matic 4L65-E
Tremec T-56 (M10)

Type:
4-spd auto w/ overdrive, rear-wheel drive
6-spd manual

Application:
std
opt

Gear ratios :)1):

First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

Fifth:
--

Sixth:
--

Reverse:

Final drive ratio:
3.73:1
3.73:1

Chassis/Suspension
Front:
double A-arm

Rear:
five-link solid axle

Steering type:
hydraulically assisted rack and pinion

Steering ratio:
16:1

Steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock:

Turning circle, curb-to-curb (ft / m):
38.1 / 11.6

Brakes
Type:
power-assisted front disc, rear vented disc with four-wheel anti-lock braking system

Front rotor (diameter x thickness, in / mm):
12 x 1.14 / 305 x 29; discs

Rear rotor (diameter x thickness, in / mm):
12.8 x 0.78 / 325 x 20; vented discs

Total swept area (sq in / sq cm):
front: 207.8 / 1340.4; rear: 216.6 / 1397.2

Wheels/Tires
Wheel size and type:
front: 19-inch x 8-inch aluminum

rear: 20-inch x 10-inch aluminum

Tires:
front: P255/45R19 Goodyear

rear: P295/40R20 Goodyear

no spare: repair and inflation kit provided

Dimensions
Exterior

Wheelbase (in / mm):
116 / 2946

Overall length (in / mm):
191.4 / 4862

Overall width (in / mm):
78.6 / 1996

Overall height (in / mm):
64.2 / 1631

Track (in / mm):
front: 64.1 / 1628; rear: 64.9 / 1648

Minimum ground clearance (in / mm):
6.1 / 154

Curb weight (lb / kg):
4760 / 2159

Weight distribution (% front / rear):
52 / 48

Interior
Seating capacity:

Head room (in / mm):
40 / 1016

Leg room (in / mm):
42.1 / 1069

Shoulder room (in / mm):
53.5 / 1359

Hip room (in / mm):
51.3 / 1303

Capacities
EPA interior volume (cu ft / L):
39.9 / 1130

Cargo volume (cu ft / L):
23.7 / 671

Trailer towing maximum (lb / kg):
2500 / 1134

Fuel tank (gal / L):
25 / 94.6

Engine oil (qt / L):
5.5 / 5.2

Cooling system (qt / L):
16.1 / 15.2

Maximum trailer weight (lb / kg):
2500 / 1134

Performance Data
0-60 mph (0-97 km/h):
manual: 5.29 sec
automatic: 5.49 sec

1/4-mile (.4 km):
manual: 13.83 sec at 103.38 mph / 166.37 km/h
automatic: 13.95 sec at 99.2 mph / 159.65 km/h

50-70 mph (81-113 km/h):
manual: 2.76 sec
automatic: 3.01 sec

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now how about the retrofits for the 2004's. The hood struts and the windbreak should be available to those of us who have the 03 or the 04. Has anyone heard whether or not GM is going to make those available to us? The hood struts should be recalled by GM since that skinny rod can bearly hold up the hood. The gauge package that is listed for the 05 is not the same as the package that is currently available. The 05 says it has a gauge for outside temperature. Is that package located in the same place as the add on one for the 04?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Trading up side.

Trading up to an 05 has been floating around in the back of my mind.

Never having purchased a second vehicle of the same make/model, I just realized, I could take all the bolt on options over to the new vehicle.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info SS. :thumbs

Sure will be tempting to trade up.
Need to start convincing my wife. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Assuming we don't want to trade up to the 05, how can we find out about what will be available to add on to the 04 (or 03). Also how can we make GM add some things, such as the hood struts, at their cost. :seeya

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Prop rod

Every car I've owned has had a prop to hold the hood open. Normally they were not formed like the SSR's. IMHO it not so bad that it "needs" to be replaced. It's unlikely the replacement is going to be as light as the prop rod. On an 2 ton vehicle every bit helps.

PS. Supporting a hood by its hinges and a prop rod is a different than supporting it with only the hinges. You only need look at how the cargo cover is mounted to see that a similar hinge would not be a bolt on fix.

We can all hope that the fix is bolt on, but, I won't be betting on that without long odds.

·
Registered
162 Posts
only 2500 lbs?

man I would be ready to go if this were just a bit higher. I hardly ever tow but 2-3 times a year I need to tow my boat 45 miles each way for service.

any idea on how pricing will be affected by the changes?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
MP3 capability?

I truly hope this is a hard disk drive based mp3 juke box. 30gigs at least. Then I can have my entire music collection in the car. No more messing with changing CDs.

A cd based mp3 player still lets me have more music than a juke box but I still wind up swapping disks.

Please let it be a HDD juke box. :)

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
hey, Glenn

beer100 said:
I truly hope this is a hard disk drive based mp3 juke box. 30gigs at least. Then I can have my entire music collection in the car. No more messing with changing CDs.

A cd based mp3 player still lets me have more music than a juke box but I still wind up swapping disks.

Please let it be a HDD juke box. :)
What is your favorite music genre? I have about 2000 of the most popular songs (mp3s) from 50s and 60s - Pop mostly (all the #1 songs + ), a little bit country (country wasn't cool then!) Doo Wopp is probably my favorite.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That was the only good thing about RAP, It made country good.

My collection is what you'd call eclectic.

My current favorite is Symphonic Pink Floyd, but I have scattered 50's-now. There is this excellent Glen Miller Orchestra disk, In the Digital Mood. A lot of care went into recording that disk and it shows.

Some odd stuff like Amazing Grace by The Pipes and Drums and Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. HP used to close out electronics shows with that by cranking up the volumn on their audio system. It was a very good audio system. Don't know if they still do that.

I like music, but have a terrible memory for song titles, albums, or bands. Makes buying stuff a real problamatic. I wind up with some things I never listen to.

Let's see, right now my in dash changer has in it:
American Pie
Symphonic Pink Floyd
Berlin
Hell Freezes Over
Time Passages
Dian Warwick

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
With all the good news about the new goodies for 2005, didn't see the following

Please, Please - give us some new drinkholders that can hold something larger than a mini drink, and not the hokey fold up one on the side of the console that insists on coming up with the drink

Hopefully, the door panels will be modified so we don't have to open the door to adjust the seat or turn the heater on.

An optional set of really cool wheels would be nice.

I was really hoping for a candy red or tangerine, otherwise would have settled for a purple 6l 6 spd, but I don't think I can handle the chameleon look - especially in purple and aqua!!! Maybe if it had been purple/burgundy. Didn't much like it when Mustang did it either. :rant

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
My six

Mine's got ZZ Top, The Eagles, A3, Glen Miller (how's that for eclectic!!), The Gypsy Kings and Jesse Cook. But I also use my 40 gig Nomad Zen with a broadcaster plug in to haul my whole collection around.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have a PJB100 juke box. 20 gigs. It came with just about every kind of adaptor except RF.

Also have and Empeg indash mp3 system. NOT INSTALLED.
Finding an integration solution for that has been a problem.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Trailering Capacities

The SSr's trailering capacity is a puzzle as the 2WD Trailblazer, with Vortec 5300 V8 SFI and Four-speed automatic, on which the SSr is based has materially (like more than twice) the trailer towing capacity:

Trailer Weight (lbs.)1 Axle Ratio Max. GCWR (lbs.)
2WD 5,900 3.42 11,000 7,100 3.73 12,500

In that it cannot be the powertrain that is the issue (particularly the '05 with the LS2), am wondering if it is the tires or the hitch mechanism..... perhaps one of the GM dudes who are on the site can shed some light for us all..... :confused

I have just realized pulling my 18 foot sport boat is marginal and I am not at all impressed..... and am a bit :mad in reality.....

:seeya

·
Registered
162 Posts
same here this is a deal breaker for me -- I can really only justify moving to the SSR if I can tow my 21 foot wakeboard boat 45 miles each way 2-3 times per year... i'm probably looking at around 3500 pounds...

Wes

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
This had been discussed extensively quite some time back, and Freezer (Lansing Craft Center) indicated cooling was an issue.

The stock hitch is capable of 2500 lbs, but I'm not ready to test it beyond its stated capacity. There is nothing at the rear to keep you from installing a modified Trailblazer receiver, and cutting it through the license plate frame.

I don't plan to keep this SSR, but when I do get a keeper 6l 6 spd, I'll install a hidden hitch, add airbags to the rear coils, and have a great tow vehicle for short runs.

If you're going 45 miles at a go, I can't see heat being a huge issue. It's those long constant uphills that create problems.

We did the same thing with our 4WD Sonoma - added airbags, and rebuilt the hitch to hide it. The 4WD 4.3 S truck has a 5000 lb to rating, but the Extreme (same engine, transmission & frame has a 0 tow rating. I don't tow great distances with the S truck, but use it to go to car shows with one of my boats attached, trolling for buyers. I did tow a 300 mile trip, through a 30 mile constant climb, and didn't overheat the S truck. (I've been selling Supra for 18 years, Moomba for 14, and the car shows have been a great opportunity for exposure).

The SSR would be the ultimate show and shine tow rig. The plan is for a lot of chrome and polish under the hood, polished aftermarket wheels, and matching wheels to be swapped to whichever trailer is being pulled. The only limitation - probably a red SSR, because the red is an easy choice for inventory boats - not a lot of purple or yellow getting sold, and black isn't my thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts