Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Complete LS2 Intake and Cover with the stock injectors and fuel rail. I want to sell it but dont know what to ask for it, it was removed from my SSR with 1,400 miles on it. What is it worth?

·
Registered
904 Posts
That is hard one, It is one of then if you need one you already have one, I have the same thing off a 04 I put a super charger on, I just put mine in the barn, Now 10 years or more down the road who knows

·
Registered
487 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
Complete LS2 Intake and Cover with the stock injectors and fuel rail. I want to sell it but dont know what to ask for it, it was removed from my SSR with 1,400 miles on it. What is it worth?
Have you seen anything on E-bay?? I will look for "Completed Sales" when trying to price stuff.....It's worth a try.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Question for you guys:

The LS2 as installed in the SSR instead of in the Corvette or GTO, has WHICH intake manifold? The Corvette one or the "truck" one?

The differences are:

1. The truck one is about 3 inches higher, so that the intake system can clear the higher truck radiators

2. The truck one is ugly compared to the Corvette one

3. The truck one makes a tiny bit less power than the Corvette one (not enough to warrant changing it out for)

Only having my 04 SSR parked in the garage, and no 05 to compare to, I don't know which one is used on the 05 / 06 SSRs.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep in mind that the rest of the intake is the same in relation to the throttle body. It has a large raised area just for the engine cover. I dont believe the runners are as raised as they are on the truck engines. I do believe that for a truck to use this intake it would have to convert over the front accesories to the Corvette/GTO/SSR.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Yes, the impression I have gotten is that no one is quite sure what ELSE would ahve to be changed or re-routed to make the swap work, and that the end result of changing the intake manifold itself is small enough that there are much better ways to spend the money.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JimG - After looking at the intake and taking the pictures, I see that it in fact is the raised runner design used mainly on the trucks. I do believe it would only be about a 20-40 HP improvement over the stock intake on the 5.3. The improvement would be with the 90 mm throttle body and the flow. The LS2 injectors are much larger then those used on the 5.3 also (43 lbs) and you would have to use addapter plugs as the connection is different.

Here are some pictures of the intake and the listing on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8009371777

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
You'd get NOTHING like a 20 to 40 hp improvement. Under 6 to 7 hp for sure at the most, more likely much less, by just changing the manfold.

A larger throttle body on an LM4 with stock cam is a waste of money, as the stock cam doesn't flow enough air to tax the existing throttle body!

Likewise for the larger injectors. In fact, my LM4 which has now been pumped up to higher peak power than the stock 05 / 06 engine still use stock LM4 injectors.

I am very familiar now with the KEY differnces between the LM4 and the LS2 engines - the differences that actually make the big power differences:

Cam is number 1. This adds about 33 hp at the rear wheels by itself. Much more if the exhaust work is done too. I got 58 hp in fact changing the cam.

Heads are number 2, because of their superior air flow and larger valve sizes. BUT they cannot be put on the LM4 because their combustion chamber volume is too large for the smaller displacement.

Displacement is probably number 3, as 12% more displacement makes a difference, all other things being reasonably equal.

Good exhaust system is worth WAY more than the manifold as a place to spend money. I got 20 h that way.

That manifold is WAY down there on the list.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JimG - not to bust your bubble but there is no way you are putting down more HP/TQ then a stock 05-06 LS2. My SSR put down 346.0 RWHP and 353.3 RWTQ these are the same numbers that a 5.3 will put down with the supercharger. If you have that kind of dyno sheet I would like to see it.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In what you have done to your SSR so far the intake is now the restriction. With the LS2 throttle body and this intake injectors I would bet you would get at least 30 HP at the crank.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
2005SSR6speed:

Your SSR is a 6-speed, and that 346 rwhp number is the highest I have ever seen for a 6-speed SSR. From the ambient conditions data you sent me earlier, it appears ot was run under pretty ideal conditions. It translates to only an 11% TOTAL driveline loss, which is remarkable. Hopefully, Magnuson knows how to calibrate and maintain a dyno. A more typical number is 320 to 330, but 340 or more is feasible on the right dyno.

The automatics get far less than the manuals, because the automatic transmission converts much more of the power into heat. Realistically, 310 to 325 hp.

It's funny you should say there's no way I am making 05 / 06 stock power. This morning, after our record breaking Texas heat wave finally broke a couple days back, I did some G-test runs, because I knew I would finally get some meaningful numbers (you can't get decent numbers in 95 degree, high humidity weather!). I needed more data for Chapter 18 and 19 of the book.

Remember, I am NOT at a drag strip, and do NOT preload the torque converter, air up tires, or any of that stuff. I am NOT a racer. I do soft starts and look at the 30 mph to 90 mph times to see any improvements as a result of any mods made.

I haven't yet downloaded the data from te G-Tech into my computer for detailed analysis after this morning, but even with my soft starts, I was seeing mid 5 seconds for zero to 60 mph on the G-Tech post-run displays. Remember, I have an automatic and 12% less displacement, I weigh much more than the average driver, and I test with 1/2 to 2/3 full fuel tank. Working FOR me is the fact that my new power curve is FLAT from 5900 all the way through 6500 redline (well, it actually GAINS 1 hp by 6500), unlike the factory 05 / 06 which peaks and then falls.

My SSR won't "perform" in the classic drag racing measures until I get a higher stall torque converter, which seems pretty financially unlikely right now after 4 months of unemployment. The smaller displacement 5.3 didn't make enough power to acclerate the SSR hard from rpm below about 3800 rpm when stock, and the LS6 cam didn't help at low and mid rpm.

Alarger throttle body might well help, but I doubt the injectors would, as my current injectors are not running out of capacity. Again, no money to do much of anything anyway, so it's pretty academic.

MTI's dyno showed "only" 331 hp under miserable conditions for power production: VERY hot (like near 100), very humid (it was actually raininghard), and the lowest barometric pressure I have ever dynoed under. I'm happy. :)

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JimG - I think that given the same external modification to an 05-06 SSR (gears) there is no way you will outperform. I understand what you have done to your SSR to date and applaud the work done by MTI on your SSR with their tune and (dynojet) dyno. I do believe that Magnuson Products has a good dyno and they have the expertise and money to maintain it. I have seen other LS2 dyno sheets from the same dyno and can confirm that the SSR was right on the mark in the initial figures posted. I actually have 1 dyno sheet here that has it making just shy of 350 RWHP, I do believe that the LS2 is a little underrated from the factory. The different cam that you are running with (02-04 Z06 405 HP cam) does better in the upper rpm's then the one that comes in the LS2 (01 Z06 385 HP cam) thus you see a continued climb to 6500 rpms. I am not bashing what you are doing with your SSR, the data you get from a G-Tech or G-Tech Pro will not compare to actual numbers on the track. The G-Tech will record spikes from shifts as real data and can only be used as a general tool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts