Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that if you take an 05 or 06 to a Chevy dealer for any kind of service or repair that they are flashing the computers in order to lower the torque curve and thereby protect their warranty concerns. Any truth to this? I have some small service work to do, but I don't want them messing with my horsepower.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
SSREV: Just have the service writer note IN WRITING that no re-flash of the PCM is to occur without your WRITTEN permission.

That PCM is NOT the property of General Motors. It is YOURS.

Let the service writer know that you will liley allow safety related changes, or other changes as well, but only if you have heard BEFOREHAND what is being propsoed to do, and have made the decision YOURSELF to allow or disallow it.

Don't let thm give you any bull about "not doing them would invalidate the warranty". That's hogwash. Retroactive re-flashes cannot be a condition of maintaining a warranty.

Jim G

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,
Thank you so much for the advice. I really value your imput. And I assume from your comments that they will indeed try to reflash it if not told otherwise.

Thanks for the word,
Ken

·
Registered
23 Posts
SSRRev said:
I have heard that if you take an 05 or 06 to a Chevy dealer for any kind of service or repair that they are flashing the computers in order to lower the torque curve and thereby protect their warranty concerns. Any truth to this? I have some small service work to do, but I don't want them messing with my horsepower.
Hey SSRRev

Was a bulletin sent out to dealers on this from GM ?? Or is this happening on a dealer to dealer basis ?? Where have you heard this from ??

Hotwheels

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
hotwheels: 05 SSRs are returning from dealer swervice visits unable to peg the torque meter any more.

Jim G
Sorry but what does the above statement mean.​

·
Registered
94 Posts
Computer Flash

I called my service department last week since reading this thread. My concern was that they might have flashed the torque down when I brought my SSR in for the outside passenger mirror replacement in November. The service manager was very pleasant and hadn't heard anything about being notified by GM to do such a thing to '05s or '06s. She even said that it didn't sound ethical and their service policy is to fix whatever the customer brings in for repair and nothing else unless a recall or safety TSB action is mandated. Their records related no computer flashing being done. Also my torque meter can be pegged. For what it is worth. Cleavermodels :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SS My R said:
Sorry but what does the above statement mean.​
SS My R,
What this means is that in some cases the dealers are flashing the computers in order to lower the torque curve in our vehicles, thereby lessening the likelihood of future warranty issues (especially for 6-speeds). That's why some people get ther SSR back but the torque meter no longer pegs, indicating that it was tampered with without the owner's knowledge. Best protection is to follow Jim G's instructions above.

SSRRev

·
Registered
190 Posts
SSRRev said:
SS My R,
What this means is that in some cases the dealers are flashing the computers in order to lower the torque curve in our vehicles, thereby lessening the likelihood of future warranty issues (especially for 6-speeds). That's why some people get ther SSR back but the torque meter no longer pegs, indicating that it was tampered with without the owner's knowledge. Best protection is to follow Jim G's instructions above.

SSRRev
I took my SSr in two days ago for tire issues...They did the road force balancing and found three bad tires...BUT when I picked it up the hood was not completely shut??? Is the computer "hook up" (ADLC) located under the hood or under the dash????:seeya

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Although the computer is located under the hood (right behind the radiator, driver's side, under a protective rubber boot on my 2004 SSR - not sure about 05/06 location), the diagnostic port through which it is accessed for reflashing is under the dash, just slightly left of the steering wheel.

One has to wonder why they opened the hood at all to do tire work, unless they were just curious. For some reason, mechanics tend to think that they have some "right" to examine your vehicle when you take it in, even if they have no cause to. Makes you want to ask them if they would tolerate someone opening the hood of THEIR car or examining the interior when it is parked at the grocery store . . . :)

People forget that your vehicle is your private property, even while sitting at a dealership before or after servicing.

On the 03 / 04 SSRs, the "looking under the hood" is often destructive, as many mechanics are too dumb to use the hood prop properly. They don't insert it correctly into its retaining slor in the hood when rasied, and it falls down, ripping a big gash into the hood liner. The Chevy dealership in Santa Fe paid me for a new hood liner after their mechanic did exactly that whole replacing the failed cooling fan on my SSR! It cost them almost $100.

Anyone with an 03 / 04 SSR should seriosuly check their hood liner after each service visit, before driving off the dealer lot. The frequency with which this hood liner is ripped by mechanics is VERY high.

Jim G

·
Registered
166 Posts
Body Snatchers

You all best check in the back bed for a POD..........and never go to sleep again LMAO...........................:jester

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Jetcop20: Just wait until you have had YOUR personal dealership experience!

Mine, within the first one year of SSR ownership, have included:

- Stripped differential cover bolt (mechanic did not realize the axle housing on the 03/04 SSRs is aluminum, and used an air wrench set for steel axle housing)

- Above-mentioned hood liner torn via improper hood prop use

- My 3rd driveshaft replaced by a 4th driveshaft, without my prior approval and without even TELLING me - a freind and I discovered it later when doing other work on my SSR - no kidding

- Accessory guage package shorted out and destroyed during dealer installation (second dealership figured out that this is what occurred. First dealership just said "it came from the factory defective").

Be alert.

Jim G

·
OP
8,226 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Jetcop20: Just wait until you have had YOUR personal dealership experience!

Be alert.

Jim G
Jim's right.
Dealer ripped carpet, scratched wheels beyond repair, scratched interior plastic panels, broke console cover, broke headliner, removed tranny (without notice or permission), tried to bypass alarm by jumstarting (I caught them in time on this one), picked and peeled at my invisible bra material (what the hell is that stuff?!?), and I am sure other things I did not catch. Dealer service people do not seem to care as a whole. So yeah, be wary and be careful.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Koool

Geeee been to my dealer with my 05 three times just to check up on condition relating to the SKY IS FALLING that Ive read here nada nichts none NO symptoms of tinks,dreaded door handles..bad fans relays window seals, leaks pumps etc etc etc etc etc.... but have gotten a new computer( my request..).updated flashes (no effect) still gonna have to get an EDIT 2 or something to get rid of that DAMN torque management it runs perfect. JUST gotta love it dont ya figure.............................LMAO

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dealership experience

OOOh The head mechanic has been a friend for over 20 years...owner of the dealership is the father of another good friend...the service writer,car washer cashier are all known to me on a personal basis...Im always stopping by on the way home from work in uniform in the squad car..or on my motorcycle...I dont have bad experiences at my CHEVY dealership or when Im on the road gotta get lucky I GUESS aint it Koool

·
OP
8,226 Posts
benefits

Well, that is one of the perks that those in uniform enjoy. Should be some fringe benefits for risky your life each day....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jetcop20 said:
OOOh The head mechanic has been a friend for over 20 years...owner of the dealership is the father of another good friend...the service writer,car washer cashier are all known to me on a personal basis...Im always stopping by on the way home from work in uniform in the squad car..or on my motorcycle...I dont have bad experiences at my CHEVY dealership or when Im on the road gotta get lucky I GUESS aint it Koool
I doubt that any of that has any impact on your GOOD LUCK with that particular dealership. NOT!!!!
:) :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Jetcop20 said:
Geeee been to my dealer with my 05 three times just to check up on condition relating to the SKY IS FALLING that Ive read here nada nichts none NO symptoms of tinks,dreaded door handles..bad fans relays window seals, leaks pumps etc etc etc etc etc.... but have gotten a new computer( my request..).updated flashes (no effect) still gonna have to get an EDIT 2 or something to get rid of that DAMN torque management it runs perfect. JUST gotta love it dont ya figure.............................LMAO

Take it from an ex-Miami cop...your a prick!!!!!

Sorry folks just had to do it!!!!:seeya

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jetcop20 said:
Oh jetcop, you're so SPECIAL or maybe you think you are. Don't kid yourself brother. It ain't you, it's your uniform that impresses them and demands their respect. I think that's the reason you go in there with it on. So they can pump you up. Perhaps you need pumping up. I don't know why you would. You have a very important job and we all love you for it. But, maybe you have some other issues. I have seen several posts from you and they are pretty derogatory and condesending. You're not 5 foot six are you?:jester

All My Best

1 - 20 of 29 Posts