Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost every post I have read on this site is pretty much telling me that any changes made to the SSR messes up the computer. What can we change that won't mess up the computer? I don't want to sound stupid but I'm getting the impression that it's impossible to do what you want to it without the computer knowing. Can someone help me out here just a little bit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Deb, modifications to the SSr don't mess up the pcm it's just thst the pcm is programed to see predetermind inputs such as wheel speed, trans turban input,trans output etc., and when these change the pcm has to be reprogramed to know that the inputs have changed.
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PCM Change?

wingrider said:
Deb, modifications to the SSr don't mess up the pcm it's just thst the pcm is programed to see predetermind inputs such as wheel speed, trans turban input,trans output etc., and when these change the pcm has to be reprogramed to know that the inputs have changed.
Well what took you so long to answer!! I knew you would be the one to explain it to me the best.

When you change these is there a fee for reprogramming the pcm? How much of a fee is there? Can these changes to the pcm be done on your own? Why aren't all cars today equiped with hypertech at the time of purchase?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
hotrodgirl said:
Almost every post I have read on this site is pretty much telling me that any changes made to the SSR messes up the computer. What can we change that won't mess up the computer?
Uh... you can change the fluids... :lol

Be a little cautious with PCM reprogramming. If you take your car to the dealer for some reason and there is a PCM update of some sort, they can end up reflashing your expensively modified PCM back to the factory specs. I suggest that if you get something, you get something that you can reuse (for this type of situation) vice an expensive one time reprogram.

I actually have three PCMs for my Z06. One optimized for hot weather, one for cooler weather, and one stock. :cheers
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subdriver said:
Uh... you can change the fluids... :lol

Be a little cautious with PCM reprogramming. If you take your car to the dealer for some reason and there is a PCM update of some sort, they can end up reflashing your expensively modified PCM back to the factory specs. I suggest that if you get something, you get something that you can reuse (for this type of situation) vice an expensive one time reprogram.

I actually have three PCMs for my Z06. One optimized for hot weather, one for cooler weather, and one stock. :cheers

What a releif! At least we can still change the fluids! Now I feel like we are back in the good old days!!

I guess I have alot to learn when it comes to the computers on our vehicles. But I've learned how to fix my home computer so I'm sure I can learn this too!! I really do miss the good old days when you could run to the auto part store fix the problem and be back on the road on the sameday.
Thanks for the tip on reflashing. I've heard this used serveral times on the site but never new what it meant. But I have just one more question is it really necessary to have three PCM's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Deb I think what subdriver means is he has three PCM's each one programed for what ever the driving conditions he will encounter, this way all he has to do is install the one he wants to use at the time, todays vehicles can from 4 to 15 modules on them but only one PCM (powertrain control module) :seeya
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Learning on my own

wingrider said:
Deb I think what subdriver means is he has three PCM's each one programed for what ever the driving conditions he will encounter, this way all he has to do is install the one he wants to use at the time, todays vehicles can from 4 to 15 modules on them but only one PCM (powertrain control module) :seeya

Thanks Bill
I knew that subdriver was using one controller. What I wasn't sure was why he needed to program it three times. I'm doing a little more reading on my own. So I can understand this whole tech issue better.

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/faq.html#voidwarranty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
and the foreigners perspective on PCM's

Reprograming is fine until you forget that the gas in UK is different stuff to US gas?

Apparently the folks who know over here in UK retard timing to account for the difference and lose about 20bhp from a typical supercharger install.

Now if I had known that before my 96 firebird melted 3 pistons I would have been happier.

Best advice is to get any PCM reprogramming done by people who really know what they are at, use a dyno and enough diagnostics to check how it all burns!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top