Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: while I was completing the installation of some LED lights under the dash I came across this connector taped to the OBD wiring and was wondering what the connector is for I am sure someone here has come across this connector before. Here a pic of the connector and the LED light install.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,028 Posts
At first I thought it was the serial bus terminating block but I think it is too large and actually looks aftermarket to me. It is a commercial looking cable so it does seem something was installed, maybe an alarm system? Do you have anything installed that is not factory other than the LEDs? Might want to trace it back and see where it goes.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
$20+ Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is in the factory wiring harness and nothing has been add to the truck since new except for the LED’s as stated prior it’s taped to the OBD wiring but has nothing to do with the OBD that I can see the end of the connector is closed off with some type of end plug Hopefully some one that has run into this connector before here on the site will have the answer.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,028 Posts
Yes, it is the splice pack (incorrectly described as resistor terminal above) as I first thought. It is connector SP201 for the data bus, I thought it was a smaller connector but looking at the wiring diagram it does indeed have the same number and colors of wires you show in picture.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
After you figure out what the plug is for could you post some info on the LED's you installed... They really look nice.

Could it be for the console gauge pod?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,672 Posts
That was my thought when I was falling asleep last night.

Legend Lime,
You might want to get that back against the firewall up high on the left where it used to live. If the tape comes loose an that plug in it comes loose it is nothing but problems. Whatever you do with it make sure it is not kicked or jostled.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was my thought when I was falling asleep last night.

Legend Lime,
You might want to get that back against the firewall up high on the left where it used to live. If the tape comes loose an that plug in it comes loose it is nothing but problems. Whatever you do with it make sure it is not kicked or jostled.
Hi BlueStreak
It wont go to the firewall if you'll look just in front of the connector you can just make out the Black OBD connector and as stated prior the connector in question is coming out of the harness for the OBD connector. The connector in question is taped to that harness I do plan on putting a zip tie "Black in color so as not to be to noticeable and look factory" just to keep it from every coming loose.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After you figure out what the plug is for could you post some info on the LED's you installed... They really look nice.

Could it be for the console gauge pod?
These are the LED lights I installed on the kick panels I made up a two wire harness and ran it from the drivers side to the passengers side and connected it into the two wires described in another post here on the site I made up my own connectors I had left over from my 1931 Chevrolet build several years ago any way here are some connectors up can pick up from any trailer dealer I used the connectors so if I did have to remove the kick panels I could just pull the pig tail loose so I could get the kick panel out of the way. The lights are off of eBay for $8.49 and free shipping they have 6 small LED's in ea. light

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If you happen to kick it with your foot and the spade connector falls out you will find out [all] it controls/or/connects to.........most of the dash and a lot of other things stop working. It is a bitch getting both hands on [it] to plug the spade connector back into this connection.....? About 5 or six or so spades. VERY POOR DESIGN. The connectors on each end warp and barely hold it together. I think i bused a rib with half my body in the street & half in the truck. The next thing to do is use 2 plastic wire ties to make sure it can never come apart again. One on each side........Then tie it up into the wire harness so my foot will never touch it again. A member warned me about this connector-------I moved it and for years it stayed out of the way. The next fix will make sure. If you have large feet it is not unusual to get then into the wires under the dash.......??? WE all know this truck was never perfect when produced. This is just another glitch we have to deal with. Glad Gm did make this concept vehicle------I am still amazed after 5 years that I actually have one. A metal roof convertible is the only way to go? Quit a few are now made but I believe this is the only truck.

Birdmans

·
SSR Believer
1,052 Posts
Thanks for the tip @birdmans. 🙏 I'm pretty sure my size 12s have bumped into that very connector.

I'm starting to seriously consider finding a pint-sized 10 or 12 year old to work under our R's dash in the future. When I was 16 my 6' frame easily fit under all sorts of Detroit steel dashes. Now 50 years later I need a week of physical therapy after most under-dash adventures with our "unique" truck.

Have to agree that it's all worth it though. (y)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
A challenge for all of you.......I got two zip ties on it so it will never come apart again/ then / looked for wires to tie it too........The only thing close was the square tube dash bar. You will only find out how hard this is to do [if you do it?]. A picture someone said is worth a thousand words............Birdmans

1582501087694.png

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
A challenge for all of you.......I got two zip ties on it so it will never come apart again/ then / looked for wires to tie it too........The only thing close was the square tube dash bar. You will only find out how hard this is to do [if you do it?]. A picture someone said is worth a thousand words............Birdmans
Don't try this at home kids...I did that today. Had to about stand on my head in the floorboard to make it happen.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Almost as hard to get a picture of the work done..............Did you do 2 ties on the connector before tieing it to the square dash tube? Bird

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
AT least your connection didn't come apart. IT was just LUCK that I saw it on the floor as I was getting out of the truck. I'd hate to try and find one. RIBS------know the feeling............Bird.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts