Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that there is a removable plastic cap located on the lower console on the passenger side. If you look immediately forward of the button you press on the emergency brake, you can see the plastic cap in the console.

Anyone have any idea what GM intended to be accessed under the console through this plastic cap?

Yes, I apparently have to much idle time on my hands

·
Proud Original Owner
18,189 Posts
Power Outlets

Is this what you are asking about?
There are 2 power outlets on lower dash, on each side of the cigarette/ash tray compartment.
I use the one on drivers side or my Battery Tender.

See photos attached

Attachments

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that's what I was trying (poorly) to describe.

I just went and took a photo to show the removable cap in the side of the console on our 2004.

Was just wondering...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Ken, Merry Christmas. I wondered the same thing, it's there on the six speed as well. I removed the plug and tried to see in with a flashlight, without success. I came to the conclusion that it had something to do with accessing an electrical plug. It's possible that it's only required for either automatics or standards not both. I will be watching your post to see what the answer is, always learning something.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post has been viewed 275 times and no ideas. Hmmm ...

Can't believe that GM produced the console with a redundant (and extra) part. Maybe if they had eliminated that 25 cent plug, they could have reduced my SSR's $76,000 Canadian sale price in 2004. ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm not sure if you're looking for an actual answer or not, but I know IKEA uses caps with ends that look very similar to these to hold in place screws that attach adjacent nonmoving parts. With those, you press the cap into the hole, twist with a flathead screwdriver about 3/4 of a turn to lock the cap in place, and everything fits together snugly.
That's all, just a screw stabilizer.
Nothing more, but reasonably important.

That's just what it looks like to me.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,573 Posts
I believe there is a screw in there that must be loosened to remove the top of the console from the sides so the Waterfall can be removed, but it has been so long since I did that, I may be incorrect. If someone has Dinermans's drive handy they might be able to look it up. The problem I have with Dicktator's One drive is I have to download each file to use it and that is time consuming right now.
I could not find it in Dicktator's one drive files but I know I have used it for something. if only to put a fish tape in to pull a wire to the fuse block behind the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
I believe there is a screw in there that must be loosened to remove the top of the console from the sides o the Waterfall can be removed, but it has been so long since I did that, I may be incorrect. If someone has Dinermans's drive handy they might be able to look it up. The problem I have with Dicktator's One drive is I have to download each file to use it and that is time consuming right now.
I could not find it in Dicktator's one drive files but I know I have used it for something. if only to put a fish tape in to pull a wire to the fuse block behind the passenger seat.
I took the entire console apart last year to install the Hurst linkage. There may be a screw that can be accessed from that plug, but I removed the side panels, so never accessed it.

I'd have to remove it to see what is hiding behind there.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
:smile2:

Me too. Last year I had the whole damn waterfall and console off to do the Hurst shifter swap. I did not even notice nor did I remove that plug in question. One can pull off the waterfall, etc. without any concern with the "mystery" hole/plug.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
6,487 Posts
Could be that console is interchangeable on another vehicle and that vehicle may use it for something. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,072 Posts
Just a quick thought.

Is it possible to depress the button on the shift interlock solenoid found on an automatic though this access plug?
:puzzled::puzzled:

Might have to use a hose hook as I think there is a wire blocking it somewhat.
Next time I have to remove switch plate around shifter I am going to try this!

I would also look in owners manual, but it is in the truck which is in storage

EDIT -- see picture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I had my shifter out a few weeks ago. I did notice the plug but nothing behind it on the 2005 6 speed version.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts