Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just finished my addition to the console to house my XM radio and compass and outside temp unit. I was originally going to paint it yellow to match the console, but I found some naughahyde that came real close to matching the dash so I ended up covering it. The black button on the drivers side is wired into my garage door opener which is now hidden inside the box. The red button is the passenger seat ejector button. LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Eject Button

Real nice job fitting that in there. Definity looks better in the material than painting it yellow. One question, shouldn't the passenger seat eject button be on the drivers side? Wouldn't want your passenger to accidently eject him self when asking "What is this button for?". ;)

DOUG

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good question

good question. I couldn't decide whether to make it the eject button or the warp speed drive button. Actually it's just to balance it out. maybe someday I'll find a real use for it.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Super job

lloger said:
good question. I couldn't decide whether to make it the eject button or the warp speed drive button. Actually it's just to balance it out. maybe someday I'll find a real use for it.
Love it!! Suggestion for the button lable "Jet assist pack"

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks guys and gal, I appreciate all the suggestions and so far as to whats next I really don't have any idea. I got a call from Hotchkis Performance the other day and the front sway bars are ready and I have an appointment for next Friday, the 10th, to have those installed and tested. The lowering springs aren't in yet, but hopefully they will receive them by next Friday and they can install them also. If not I'll just have to wait for them.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Red Button. I thought they were used for boost.

lloger said:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have read on many posts that changing or reconfiguring the radio has led to other problems since the computer for the car seems to be tied into, or through, the radio.

Have you noticed any differences since your work?

BTW.....great job!

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
radio problems

I don't have the XM radio hooked up yet. I have an appointment next Tuesday for the hook up. It shouldn't cause any problems because it only sends the signal into the radio thru the antenna hook up. When it's hooked up I'll post and let everyone know how it works.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
XM Radio

Brownhornet. I had the radio hooked up this morning and it works great. The installer originally thought he would have to pull the front of the dash to get to the antenna hookup but he found a connection behind the kick plate on the passenger side so it was a pretty simple hookup. I'm attaching some pics of the antenna. I was going to lay it on the dash but I decided it would probably receive better mounted above the windshield. The antenna has a magnetic base so it just sits up there and I ran the wire under the weatherstripping. I asked him about any problems because of the computer going thru the radio and he said it wouldn't be a problem because he was only putting a relay in the antenna lead. The antenna is the small black square above the center of the windshield.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
XM Commander

The radio I bought is the XM Commander. I got it at Best Buy for $169.00. I found it a little cheaper on the internet but I didn't want to wait. It is distributed by TERK. With the XM Commander you have to subscribe to XM Radio. If you want to go with Siruis you have to buy a different radio. I went with the XM because it was the only one that had a small enough head unit to fit in my console addition.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Antenna

I painted my antenna black to cover the grey XM logo.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lloyd,
Outstanding job.
Looks great.
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Outside work??

Hey lloger - wanna spend a week in Texas?? All the beer and barbecue you can stand (or Dr. Pepper if that suits you better).. GREAT job.. :flag :thumbs

1 - 20 of 36 Posts