Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my SSR back in September of last year, I noticed that the console lid/door would not stay open. I thought this was probably just another quirk about the vehicle that wasn't thought through when the cars were built. However, when I saw one of the other SSR owners at a car show today, he told me that his would stay open without having to hold it open, and demonstrated that to me. So, it appears that there is a cause for this not to stay open, and I wanted to find out if anyone else out there has experienced the same problem. If so, how they went about repairing it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you,

·
BlueStreak
26,592 Posts
When I purchased my SSR back in September of last year, I noticed that the console lid/door would not stay open. I thought this was probably just another quirk about the vehicle that wasn't thought through when the cars were built. However, when I saw one of the other SSR owners at a car show today, he told me that his would stay open without having to hold it open, and demonstrated that to me. So, it appears that there is a cause for this not to stay open, and I wanted to find out if anyone else out there has experienced the same problem. If so, how they went about repairing it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you,
If you push it a little farther it will lock in the up position. some take a bit more push than others but if it is not vertical it is not all the way open. A leap of faith! You might want to wait until you are with others who have done it and let them show you, just in case you have one that is already broken, but I doubt that is necessary..

·
Slingshot Rules!
61,439 Posts
Have you tried gently pushing the fully opened lid towards the rear, Sooner?

I just checked The Doophus . . . it should stay in the open / up position.

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went out to the garage and put a good bit of pressure on the lid. There doesn’t seem to be anything there. It may be just something that needs to be reattached. I suppose this would be something that would require the removal of the panel that houses it. Correct?

·
BlueStreak
26,592 Posts
I went out to the garage and put a good bit of pressure on the lid. There doesn’t seem to be anything there. It may be just something that needs to be reattached. I suppose this would be something that would require the removal of the panel that houses it. Correct?
I know I have had mine out but do not remember the details. Someone else might jump in here. Maybe one of the guys who is parting out a truck. Give it a chance.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I was told this a few years ago...........I pushed until I thought something would break---& finally it locked in place. I will never go there again without an expert helping me.

Birdmans

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,419 Posts
Lift mine up all the way and it stays there but does not have a catch point that I feel.

On a different note I did buy the latch open spring popper that was sold on this site last year and love it. You push the button with one finger and the cover pops up about 2 inches and stays there so you can open it one handed. Best little invention there is.

Here is the original post from last year. Might help some of the new folks.

Get the little spring and put it on. Very inexpensive and when you push the button it pops right open. In post #5 above by Texasbaehr. It is an awesome little add on. Also I was warned early on not to lock the cover for a couple reasons. If you have your top down and it is locked they will just pry it open and take what you have in there but you will have repairs to make. The other thing is whatever you have in there can be stolen very easily. Locked or unlocked. Most stuff I keep in mine is gum, mints, paper, pen, etc., and it stays unlocked. They can have all that as I can easily buy more and no damage. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
drharryo
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing