Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the PDF by Mike Polenske on console light repair. Is this lighting only available on automatics, special option, or just specific years? Would very much appreciate an explanation...Clivey

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,268 Posts
Just for clarification, Clivery . . .

Are you referring to the "mood lighting" from under the Console Buttons or the Rear View Mirror Lights that shine down on the Buttons?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the response DOOPHUS, I'm referring to the mood lighting under the consol buttons.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,367 Posts
I read the PDF by Mike Polenske on console light repair. Is this lighting only available on automatics, special option, or just specific years? Would very much appreciate an explanation...Clivey
The article on how to repair the console lights that I wrote quite some time ago is for the repair of the lights around the shifter, it pertains to all SSRs, manual and automatic.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the clarification. Another little problem I didn't know I had, will check all the fuses first,but it's probably sharing a fuse with something else...Clivey.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Console Lights

The information you are looking for is on my SSR How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up CONSOLE LAMP FIX by Mike aka Dragon2U

Dicktator
Yes Dicktator, I already looked at Mikes tutorial. He was working on an auto "R", I'm going to have to do a little more investigating as I have yet to figure out how to get the chrome shifter ball off, the rest seems relatively easy to follow. I'm beginning to realize that a proper shop manual is probably the first thing to acquire and that will show me which fuse to pull before starting any of the work. Thanx for your assistance, your Canucklhead fan.... Clivey

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
There's a screw on the front of the ball toward the dash.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably would have found it, but thanx for the info. Now I'm getting excited about the area around the shifter illuminated at night. like I said earlier, I had no idea mood lighting existed.....Cool.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,367 Posts
I probably would have found it, but thanx for the info. Now I'm getting excited about the area around the shifter illuminated at night. like I said earlier, I had no idea mood lighting existed.....Cool.
Well, lets clarify a few things here........

The article I wrote is to repair the back lit buttons on the console around the shifter. The window switches, door lock, and traction control for the automatics. The lights sometimes burn out and instead of replacing the entire assembly you can simply take it apart and replace the lamps with similar replacements or with LEDs. This is not mood lighting or anything special. The lights are controlled by the same circuit that controls the lighting in the rest of the vehicle. The shifter comes off with a single set screw and then you pry off the shifter or console plate after that.

Mood lighting - This option was offered only on the upper level option group, the ones with the Homelink remotes built into the mirror. With this option, there is a set of pulse width controlled LEDs under the rearview mirror that offer mood or theater lighting as well as map lights. Mood lighting can be turned on and off, when on, it produces a light amber effect at night while driving down the road to illuminate the shifter and surrounding area. It is controlled by pressing the far right button for a few seconds to change modes. Pressing the button quickly just turns on and off the map light option which is the same LEDs turned on at a brighter output.

So, if you read something somewhere about mood lighting in the SSR and trying to get it turned on without having the proper mirror it will not work. It kind of sounds like you are searching for a remedy or an option that you do not have in the truck........ or maybe you do but you are unfamiliar with how to operate it?

What exactly are you trying to do or fix?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ Dragon2U, Thanx so much for the headsup. I do have the mirror with the 3 station garage opener and the auto rear view dimmer. I've already discovered the yellow and white map light switching with the far right button. Now I understand that the backlighting of the switches is on all "Rs" and should operate with the dash lights. I had noticed on your repair tutorial that there were three small lamps with blue covers and thought, why would all three burn out? So to wrap this up, I think those back light bulbs are toast. My build sheet does show the 3SS option. Again, thanx so much for all the support you supply.....Clivey

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,608 Posts
Well, lets clarify a few things here........

Mood lighting - This option was offered only on the upper level option group, the ones with the Homelink remotes built into the mirror. With this option, there is a set of pulse width controlled LEDs under the rearview mirror that offer mood or theater lighting as well as map lights. Mood lighting can be turned on and off, when on, it produces a light amber effect at night while driving down the road to illuminate the shifter and surrounding area. It is controlled by pressing the far right button for a few seconds to change modes. Pressing the button quickly just turns on and off the map light option which is the same LEDs turned on at a brighter output.
THANKS. Ha! I thought all '04's, (Kathy's), were just made to have the Amber light Glow all the time at night to slightly illuminate the interior. :crazy Always learn something from Y'all!! Too lazy to read the book!!! Hmmm I may turn them on in my FRP!?

Nick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts