Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to remove the console switch plate cover. The one that covers the window switches and shift lever. From what I've read, it should just pop off (or up). Well, I had pry tools underneath it and had it raised up almost half an inch. It felt like it was going to break! It wouldn't let go. I didn't want to break it so I eased off and let rest in the original spot. What, if anything, was I doing wrong? Are these things usually that hard to remove? Is there a trick I don't know about? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Console Switch Plate

Some are more stubborn than others but with even pressure on each side the clips will eventually pop free. If you can lift the plate up slightly and have an assistant spray a quick shot of silicone lube on the clips that might help, too.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
what you describe is normal. they are not tricky to remove.... just stubborn ! there are 4 metal clips. 2 of them attach thru a really flimsy piece of plastic. they would be the ones right where the switches are and probably the first place you are trying to pry up. don't be scared, just keep pulling up and see if you can get a pry tool close to the clip, that may help. lift straight up from the console

Reactions: Gadgitlee

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,797 Posts
I thought I'd be proactive and remove mine for replacement of the bushing prior to having a problem but I couldn't for the life of me get the clips to release. All that kept running through my head was if I break this cover I'll play hell getting another one. I ended up just purchasing a new upper bushing and having it on hand if the original bushing does decide to go out on me.

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
I've had mine off a couple times, and even phoned Dicktator for advice because the damned thing wouldn't et go, and I was sure I was going to break something.

I bought a set of plastic prybars so I woudn't mar the painted finish. That was a concern even with several layers of masking tape.

The clips eventually let go, but that was by far the most intimidating process of taking the truck apart. I wasn't anywhere near as concerned about removing the engine.

The front clips on a 6 speed are slightly closer together, and I had to really work on those. I was watching the whole bezel bend and was afraid it could snap at any second. How many spare chrome 6 speed bezels are out there if I broke this one?

Why the hell do those clips need to be so strong?

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,269 Posts
The metal clips they use have some very sharp edges to hold them in place. What happens is these sharp edges catch and make it nearly impossible to remove. Normally, to get the cover off when this happens requires you to pull up hard enough to bend the metal clip in a direction it was not meant to go. No other way to get it off but keep prying.

Once you get it off, make sure you squeeze the metal retainers with a pair of pliers so that it will make it easier to do the next time and insure the bent tabs are facing the right way. Not sure if it was improper installation or not but these clips area really a PITA when they are not squeezed smaller when they are first installed.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,656 Posts
The metal clips they use have some very sharp edges to hold them in place. What happens is these sharp edges catch and make it nearly impossible to remove. Normally, to get the cover off when this happens requires you to pull up hard enough to bend the metal clip in a direction it was not meant to go. No other way to get it off but keep prying.

Once you get it off, make sure you squeeze the metal retainers with a pair of pliers so that it will make it easier to do the next time and insure the bent tabs are facing the right way. Not sure if it was improper installation or not but these clips area really a PITA when they are not squeezed smaller when they are first installed.
Very good advise!

I put silicone grease on clips before I reinstall, so next time it will "pry" off easier.

Dicktator

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback, gents. When the weather warms up I'll have another go at it.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got back to it with the temps in the 60's. As everyone said, it did finally let go, but not without a fight. I had the cover up about an inch or more. Then the clips finally let go with a loud bang. The rear clips were more stubborn than the front ones. I was sure something broke. Fortunately all was well. I'm definitely going to modify or re-engineer those clips before I reinstall it as I don't want that fight again. Thanks to all for the feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts