Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This past week I assisted a new owner with removing his hydraulic cylinders and he sent them to Cabriolet Hydraulics for repair. The driver-side main lift cylinder was leaking and both "flipper" cover cylinders appeared to be leaking.
During the removal, it was evident that the passenger-side main lift cylinder had been removed before. The floor had been properly beaten to provide room to remove the lower pin, however, when the person reinstalled the cylinder, he installed the wavy washers (that belong with the upper retention pin) under the floor-lock mechanism mount bolts (?); he also bent the upper retention pin snap-clips so much that they were not secure on the pin; he used a small compression clip instead of the OEM snap-clip to secure the outside end of the upper retention pin; he routed the rear window defroster wire incorrectly and the wire covering is now flattened due to being squashed during top operation. That said, when the new owner sent all 8 cylinders to Cabriolet Hydraulics for rebuild, Cabriolet Hydraulics rebuilt only 7 of the cylinders. They would not rebuild the passenger main because it had been rebuilt by a competitor and they would not risk opening it up for a second rebuild. I do not have an issue with Cabriolet Hydraulics, but am concerned with the quality of the initial rebuild on the passenger main ... if this cylinder ends up leaking after I re-install it, is there anyone out there that might have a passenger-side main lift cylinder just layin' around? I have no idea who might have rebuilt this one cylinder, but it wasn't Cabriolet Hydraulics.
Thanks, Carl

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,508 Posts
Thanks Carl!!

I suggested Bill aka Lightbulb contact you, he lives in Savannah and you in Jacksonville. You know a lot about SSR, especially the roof.

Bill had some nice things to say about you, of course.

I would reinstall the cylinder in question and I can find one if need be.

Reminder! These are the two Hydraulic Companies we/I recommend to rebuild cylinders.

West Coast
TopHydraulics,Inc
90730 Southview Lane
Florence, Oregon 97439
Phone 541-902-3214

East Coast
Cabriolet Hydraulics
3007 62nd Ave East
Bradenton, Fl. 34203
Phone 941-756-1300

And rebuild all 8 cylinders, as you can see from Carl's find, doing ONE only causes the next cylinder to leak!!

Look up ROOF CYLINDERS on SSR How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

THANKS again Carl!!

Dicktator

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Cabriolet Hydraulics will only rebuild virgin cylinders? They're afraid to open it because they might not have to parts to fix a cylinder that might have been modified? Since it was already leaking, couldn't they open it up and see? Seems they could first ask if you want to take the responsibility for them trying, and if they can't rebuild it not blame them for the leaking. :puzzled:

Did they tell you this before they went ahead and rebuilt the other 7, or was this a surprise?

(I know they're not yours, but you posted it, so you become the "you"):lol

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that sucks. Cabriolet Hydraulics will only rebuild virgin cylinders? They're afraid to open it because they might not have to parts to fix a cylinder that might have been modified? Since it was already leaking, couldn't they open it up and see? Seems they could first ask if you want to take the responsibility for them trying, and if they can't rebuild it not blame them for the leaking. :puzzled:

Did they tell you this before they went ahead and rebuilt the other 7, or was this a surprise?

(I know they're not yours, but you posted it, so you become the "you"):lol
I don't fault Cabriolet Hydraulics for not wanting to take responsibility for someone else's (possibly poor) repair. Since they said they wouldn't open it because it was rebuilt by a competitor, I am under the impression Cabriolet Hydraulics will make new repairs on cylinders that they repaired in the past. They also said that the rebuilt cylinder was "crimped" as part of the repair ... from the owner's message, he indicated that an initial rebuild gets "crimped" and subsequent rebuilds get "capped". Cabriolet Hydraulics indicated that the cylinder in question did not appear to be leaking, so I will reinstall this cylinder next week when the parts are received.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Cheers, CB

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
Ah, thank you. It makes sense not to mess with it if it's not leaking. Since someone had rebuilt it already it shouldn't need it again for awhile.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, thank you. It makes sense not to mess with it if it's not leaking. Since someone had rebuilt it already it shouldn't need it again for awhile.
Yes, the driver-side main lift is the one currently leaking. The passenger-side main is the one that had been repaired by a different company.

Cheers, Carl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts