Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 2 gas lift struts (one on each side) that attach to the outside of the top lift frame in the top well. My SSR is missing the one on the left side, and one end of the strut on the right side has popped off it's mount. What are they for, and are they necessary for top operations? They are also very difficult to remount once one end has popped off since the strut expands about 1/4 inch past the mounting studs. Has anyone had experience with these struts?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,605 Posts
Those struts are there to hlp the hydraulics lift the roof and catch it as it comes down
They are under tension in the fully extended position Check Simple Engineering for your solution

Reactions: SSRLUV

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,833 Posts
WOW!!! does your top go down and up??? I didn't know it would work without them!!! I know they assist, but none!!??Always learn something new here.

Nick

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Roof gas struts

There are 2 gas lift struts (one on each side) that attach to the outside of the top lift frame in the top well. My SSR is missing the one on the left side, and one end of the strut on the right side has popped off it's mount. What are they for, and are they necessary for top operations? They are also very difficult to remount once one end has popped off since the strut expands about 1/4 inch past the mounting studs. Has anyone had experience with these struts?
Contact Mike Moro at Simple-Engineering. He has the only device and struts that are easy to install period! The price is more than reasonable and a heck of a lot less than replacing the seals on the hydraulics which are sure to blow if they are not already leaking with the added load without those struts.
The gas struts counter balance the roof which is quite heavy. That allows the hydraulic pump amd cylinders to move the top up and down without excessive strain on the system. Each strut has something like 135 ft/lb of pressure and really are impossible to replace without a device made specifically for that purpose. You cannot compress the struts that 1/4 inch or more and attach them in that confined area without a special device. Also, replace both struts at the same time. Mike sells the struts in pairs, preloaded in a device that allows easy installation. The installing device you then mail back to Mike in the package he provides. I can't stress enough that you do replace the struts asap. To rebuild the hydraulic cylinders alone is $1400 and there are only two places currently able to do that.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
10,160 Posts
Great advice ! And, "Yes", the struts are there to take the "stress" off the hydraulics when the roof is going both up, and down. Mike ships the struts in their own installation tool. They are marked "Left & Right", so they go in properly. It will probably take another person to help the install go easier.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Struts

Also the last foot or so all of the weight of the top is suddenly creating a pressure spike in the hydraulic pressure in the system, and yes it will blow the seals.

It takes about 30 minutes to replace them, 25 minutes for the first one, 5 minutes for the second one. Also you will need a second person to help hold the top in position, especially since there is no strut helping with the weight.

Here is the link for the struts. LST Roof Struts

Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.