Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having difficulty with cooling fan. It appears as it is not functioning at all.
Last time I was out, I noticed the heat temp go way up and then when driving it went back down. Checked when I got home and problems. I started the truck up and it did not run at all.
Where do I start? What do I check prior to ordering new fan from Mike?
Thanks, Charles

·
Slingshot Rules!
65,743 Posts
Sounds like you have already figured out the best solution, Charles . . .

Mike's Fan (OEM Replacement / Upgrade) plus the AUX Fan will keep the Temperature Gauge at a "balmy" 210.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
First.......

Take something and "tap" on the fan motor. A brush may have hung up, and may jar loose. Even if the fan starts working, you should just consider it as temporary until you get the fan from Mike.

Jack

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,698 Posts
Having difficulty with cooling fan. It appears as it is not functioning at all.
Last time I was out, I noticed the heat temp go way up and then when driving it went back down. Checked when I got home and problems. I started the truck up and it did not run at all.
Where do I start? What do I check prior to ordering new fan from Mike?
Thanks, Charles
Start the engine and turn on the air conditioning. If the fan runs, it has a 50/50 possibility of working when you are not "testing" it........ If the fan fails to run, it has failed.

If your truck is supercharged with a standard Maguson kit, you already have lowered fan turn-on temps. You should not ever see much temp above 210..... If this is the case and your temp is above 210 at any time, call me and we will troubleshoot the system. My cell is 480-225-2123

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Take something and "tap" on the fan motor. A brush may have hung up, and may jar loose. Even if the fan starts working, you should just consider it as temporary until you get the fan from Mike.

Jack
My original fan quit at 17000 miles - tapping the motor freed the stuck brushes and the fan worked fine.
Make sure the ignition is Off when you tap on the motor.

Mikes fan is the long term solution.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.
I tried the tapping trick, and it started, and then stopped again.
Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple prior to ordering new fan.
Mike, the order is at your shop waiting for packing and shipping.
The temps should be correctly set up for the supercharged version already. I have never seen the temp gauge above 210 prior to this incident.
My SSR is happy to get a Christmas Gift early.

Please and thank you.
Charles

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,698 Posts
Thanks all.
I tried the tapping trick, and it started, and then stopped again.
Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple prior to ordering new fan.
Mike, the order is at your shop waiting for packing and shipping.
The temps should be correctly set up for the supercharged version already. I have never seen the temp gauge above 210 prior to this incident.
My SSR is happy to get a Christmas Gift early.

Please and thank you.
Charles
Your fan shipped today... check your email for the tracking number.

When you replace it, please take note of the condition of the fan connector on the engine compartment wiring harness. If you see any "blackness" on the ground socket (black wire) give me a call on my cell. We will need to be sure you don't have a second problem in the works......

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
My friend has a 04 I replaced the fan about a year or so with Mike's all has been fine until now fan was not working found the 60 amp fuse blown replace fuse and started truck the fan came on we had a snap on scanner on the truck the temp was only 190 deg truck ran 15 min and the fan never turned off temp stayed at 190 deg.started truck next day fan was off ran truck 20 min fan turned on at 190 deg again and never turned off .I am puzzled why it now turns on at 190 deg and not at 226deg temp gauge in truck below 210 deg scanner at 190deg any advice would be helpful thanks

·
SSR Believer
1,052 Posts
My friend has a 04 I replaced the fan about a year or so with Mike's all has been fine until now fan was not working found the 60 amp fuse blown replace fuse and started truck the fan came on we had a snap on scanner on the truck the temp was only 190 deg truck ran 15 min and the fan never turned off temp stayed at 190 deg.started truck next day fan was off ran truck 20 min fan turned on at 190 deg again and never turned off .I am puzzled why it now turns on at 190 deg and not at 226deg temp gauge in truck below 210 deg scanner at 190deg any advice would be helpful thanks
Look for @Mike in AZ to chime in. (y)

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,698 Posts
Strange that the 60 amp fuse was blown. The cooling fan I sell does not have the capability of using the amount of current necessary to blow that fuse. At high speed and full load, it only draws 20 amps. I suspect that someone has jump started the truck and hooked the cable to the wrong spot.....

I am assuming that the truck is not supercharged and has not had the fan turn-on temps set lower.......

The cooling system temp of 190 is fine. That is the result of the 187 degree thermostat on the inlet of the water pump. There is usually a 10-12 degree rise across the engine and normal gauge temp should read about 195-200. This is where the thermostat regulates the temp.

As for having the fan run constantly, I suspect that you had the A/C Compressor running. Any time you have the A/C button pushed or the defroster selected, you get the compressor running and that will, in turn, trigger the cooling fan to be on.
On a side note....... GM has a small software snag in the A/C system logic on the SSR. Any time you select recirculate (even with the blower fan off) the A/C compressor will be running. This will drive the cooling fan to be on.

Does this make sense to you now?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
You are sure truck is stock.
Was the HVAC controller in AC or defrost mode? AC compressor will turn on to serve as dehumidifier. You cannot turn this feature off with the AC request button. The compressor will cause AC pressures to reach cooling fan on status.
Does it now turn off unlike yesterday when it stayed on?
Does the cooling fan status on the scan tool display on or off?

EDIT
I guess @Mike in AZ and i were typing at same time! My post agrees with Mike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
  • No super charger when I first put the fan in it came on later at higher temp ac control were off today when we started the truck fan was off when temp hit 190 deg fan turned on low speed the fan should not come on till it gets to 226deg if truck is stock setting right?and it stayed on for 15 or20 while truck was running turned off when truck was turned off

1 - 20 of 27 Posts