Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 SSR that I just bought, it runs at about 210 when moving but as soon as I stop it goes up to about 240. Is that normal?

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,656 Posts
I have a 2005 SSR that I just bought, it runs at about 210 when moving but as soon as I stop it goes up to about 240. Is that normal?
Yes and No! Fan temp set to high from factory to meet emission standards.

We change fan to improve flow by 30%. And USA made. OEM is V/W fan, not very good.

Read more on SSR HOW TO LIBRARY

Link: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up SSR COOLING SYSTEM by Mike Moro

Everyone changes fan and half the price of OEM fan.

Dicktator

1. OEM fan V/W
2. Mike's USA Made fan, much, much better.

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
No, that is not normal. What is normal, however, is that the fan does not turn on until the cooling system reaches 226 when the AC is off.

To test your cooling fan, turn on the AC with the engine running. As soon as the compressor brings the AC system up to pressure, the fan should come on to low speed. If the fan doesn't come on, inspect the electrical connector to the fan. If the electrical connector is not burnt, you have had a fan failure.

It is also critical that the surge tank have the correct level of fluid. If your tank is empty, you will be pushing air into the engine and it will DEFINITELY get hot....

"Normal" temperature on the thermostat is 195-200.... just left of center. This will be found easily on the highway, when there is plenty of airflow through the radiator and the engine is operating on the temperature regulation of the thermostat. If you have sufficient coolant in the tank and your highway temps are above 200, you have an issue in the system that is not related to the fan.

Regards,

Mike

Dicktator must have just gotten up from his afternoon nap..... he beat me to the response while I was typing. :pokey:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered a new fan from Simple Engineering. I will also check to see that the reservoir is full, thank you for your response.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,377 Posts
mdean73022, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! As you just discovered you have found the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

You might consider calling Mike back and have him send you the new Thermostat to install while the fan is out!!

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
No, that is not normal. What is normal, however, is that the fan does not turn on until the cooling system reaches 226 when the AC is off.

To test your cooling fan, turn on the AC with the engine running. As soon as the compressor brings the AC system up to pressure, the fan should come on to low speed. If the fan doesn't come on, inspect the electrical connector to the fan. If the electrical connector is not burnt, you have had a fan failure.

It is also critical that the surge tank have the correct level of fluid. If your tank is empty, you will be pushing air into the engine and it will DEFINITELY get hot....

"Normal" temperature on the thermostat is 195-200.... just left of center. This will be found easily on the highway, when there is plenty of airflow through the radiator and the engine is operating on the temperature regulation of the thermostat. If you have sufficient coolant in the tank and your highway temps are above 200, you have an issue in the system that is not related to the fan.

Regards,

Mike

Dicktator must have just gotten up from his afternoon nap..... he beat me to the response while I was typing. :pokey:
:smile2:

I've acknowledged the plus/advantage of the addition of Mikes (Simple Engineering fan and aux fan before. Those items were already installed when I bought my ride from KGB in Vegas.

He related absolutely no over heating problems while running the air in the extreme hot conditions in the summer of Las Vegas. My return trip from Vegas to the coast of No. Carolina showed constant temps of (just left) of straight up on the temp dial.:grin2:

So, I'm a happy camper as to having no problems there.........only question I might have relates to the (setting) of the low speed?? or whatever fan as I have experienced many times (a brief running of the aux fan) after shut down of the motor. Not really worried about that but wonder if the settings for on/off need a "tweak" or the occasional brief run is OK.:surprise:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an appointment in the morning at a dealer to have a actuator for the recirculate installed. I am now thinking that I might do it myself any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Aux fan.

The Aux fan is independent the rest of the cooling system. It has a probe inserted between the fins of the radiator. There is a controller box under the hood with a temp selector so that you can control the temp the Aux fan comes on. When you shut engine off the other fan stops working and the temp of the system will increase, the Aux fan comes on until the probe senses temp lower than you have the controller set for. This a good thing as it lowers the under hood temp and system temp after shutdown.
I had one on my '04 and it was the first addition to my '05. I keep the temp set at 210 to come on.

Jack

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to Mike in Arizona he is going to hook me up with all stepper motors and install a new fan for me. Thanks to everyone for the advice I can use all of the help I can get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts